Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

I forget a knife in my bag, TSA forgets to find it (thankfully, no terminal dump!)

I forget a knife in my bag, TSA forgets to find it (thankfully, no terminal dump!)

Old Jul 24, 07, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

I drove down to FL with my wife to visit her family for a few days. I then flew home to go back to the office, as I had a lot I needed to get done and couldn't visit as long as she wanted to.

I was looking for her car keys this morning in my laptop bag, since my car is still with her. What do I find? A folding knife (larger than a pocket knife, mind you)!

Oops.

I usually double-check my laptop bag prior to flying to make sure there aren't any items like knives or liquids/gels in its pockets--something I do specifically for that particular knife, which I often have when not traveling by air in case I'd need it for things like cutting the seat belt after a car accident, etc. But the past couple of trips I've taken have been on very little sleep, and apparently I missed the knife in the sleepy rush to the airport.

The scary thing is, so did the TSA. Three times. (As I'd recently flown a roundtrip without unpacking prior to this trip).

Now, tell me again how effective the TSA is going to be at catching weapons, bomb components, etc. at the checkpoint?

At least I didn't turn myself in to the TSA and cause a terminal dump. And, apparently, that magic rock still works, because the knife did not cause any plane hijackings or crashes, either.
Old Jul 24, 07, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
The TSA only had a 20% (or less) chance of catching the knife given their screener performance audit results.

Want your $5 billion back now?
Old Jul 24, 07, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
This has also happened to me (small folder).
Old Jul 24, 07, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
The TSA only had a 20% (or less) chance of catching the knife given their screener performance audit results.

Want your $5 billion back now?
But, hey, they sure are good at catching the bottles of water and sticks of lip gloss, aren't they?
Old Jul 24, 07, 11:37 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
You did the right thing keeping quiet. All the idiot TSA people can find is water & other liquids.
Old Jul 24, 07, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have done this several times. Usually only realizing that I have / had the knife after arriving at my destination.

Although once I realized it immediately after I walked through security.

No planes were hijacked that day.
Old Jul 24, 07, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Be glad you found it and not the TSA. You would have paid a hefty fine if they found it.
Old Jul 24, 07, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus View Post
Be glad you found it and not the TSA. You would have paid a hefty fine if they found it.
Maybe had the IAD TSA found it.

Although I complain about the idiocy of the BKW TSA (indeed, the very existence of a 6+ member TSA goon squad for an airport with 3x daily commercial flights seems a waste of my $$), I suspect they would have let me hand it to my parents, who were sitting in the lobby 5 feet away from the gate at the time.

The JAX TSA--the last ones to miss it--are, IME, good guys, and I suspect they would have let me either give it to someone landside or mail it. JAX is one of the few TSA checkpoints that consistently earns compliments from me; back pre-8/10 water carnival, they would discourage people from removing their shoes, for example.
Old Jul 24, 07, 8:04 pm

Programs: Anything and everything I can sign up for. At least the ones I can get some benefit from.
Exerda,
Dude check my post from another thread yesterday............ I feel your pain

Flew out of TPA last week into CLT for a connection. Screener takes my carryon and informs me she needs to look at it closer. Long story short..... they miss the 3 bic lighters, the pocket knife and the laser pointer shaped like a 30-06 bullet, BUT THEY CONFISCATE MY D_M_ DEODORANT!!!

My God people, think of the children.....

Sorry, I feel safer now [sigh]
Safe travels
Tim
Old Jul 24, 07, 8:21 pm

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)

Can you imagine if you had a bottle of water???
Old Jul 24, 07, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
Before the liquid restirction, they had a higher success rate.

I was caught with an expensive swiss army knife at TSA LAX about 3 years ago. I didn't give it up because I had extra time. I went back and bought a roll of tape in the terminal and clandestinely taped it underneath a street side phone kiosk. Went through TSA. 2 days later picked it up on my return.

Thank god no one saw me taping a knife underneath an airport phone!

Search this Thread