You ever caught someone in the security line?

Old Jul 23, 07, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
You ever caught someone in the security line?

I was flying out of HNL a while ago and this jackass tried to grab my laptop out of the gray x-ray box. Said he was "just trying to help".

I just about tackled him. (It was actually a gov't laptop so I was err.. rather protective of the contents (nothing classified)). I was, I admit, loud in saying "TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF OF MY PROPERTY!" And the TSA screener and standby cop intervened in about one second flat.

I calmed down as soon as they did, but I was really surprised by how quickly I flared.

And that made me realize, I can't be the first person to be in this situation.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Jul 23, 07, 8:46 pm

I push people's stuff towards the end of the rollers to help them on the way towards the end so others can move down too, but i would never touch the contents of the bin.

I think I recall TSOs taking stuff out of bins to reclaim the bins, but never another passenger.
Old Jul 23, 07, 8:56 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
what gj83 said, and I never cross the metal detector until my stuff makes into the x-ray machine.
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
People try to touch my things all the time and I am quick to sharply tell them to stop. I try not to let my things make it through the x-ray before I do but sometimes morons who can't figure out to take their keys out of their pockets have to walk through over and over removing one piece of metal at a time. What's so irritating about people helping with your stuff is that you can't tell if they're trying to steal it or not. I never touch other people's things and they need to keep their hands off mine. This includes not only people in the security line but also overeager valets. Don't pick up my suitcase, my security bin, or any other object without my permission. Period.
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
No I've never had that happen.

Fortunately I mark my laptops clearly with my name so it communicates "hands off" to most people.
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
I just about tackled him. (It was actually a gov't laptop so I was err.. rather protective of the contents (nothing classified)). I was, I admit, loud in saying "TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF OF MY PROPERTY!" And the TSA screener and standby cop intervened in about one second flat.
Your location is "the big 'I'" (i'm guessing Iraq if it's a govt laptop) and your handle is "Bouncer," so I have a feeling you're not the shy, retiring type. Just out of curiosity, did this person look as though they had a death wish?

And I also try to hold off putting either my purse or my laptop on the belt until it's time for me to walk through the machine. My suitcase goes on whenever, but I guess i've seen one too many of those Dateline shows where a laptop is picked up by someone other than its owner.

(really hope I'm not setting myself up for something to happen before my flight tomorrow...)

The other place i think you have to be careful is on the buses. The parking lot shuttle lady took my suitcase off at the wrong terminal the other day. I hopped off, grabbed it and hopped back on. But my suitcase was thisclose to being left in the street at LAX.
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by cpx View Post
what gj83 said, and I never cross the metal detector until my stuff makes into the x-ray machine.
Same. I also place my watch inside my shoe.
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
I was, I admit, loud in saying "TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF OF MY PROPERTY!" And the TSA screener and standby cop intervened in about one second flat.

I calmed down as soon as they did, but I was really surprised by how quickly I flared.
I would probably do the same thing. In fact, I've just been thinking of ways to deter Five-Fingered Flight™ of my property at c/p's.

PM me for some of my more imaginative, tho possibly harebrained, ideas.
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Yep, I've had it happen. My reaction was about the same as yours.

I've always waited until my stuff goes in the guzinta of the X-ray, sometimes I have to speak sharply to the WTMD screener who wants me to move along. The problem is usually at the guzouta of the X-ray, especially if there's a delay at the WTMD (like when two lines are combined).
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:42 pm

I've seen one time where a guy took someone's laptop along with his and didn't realize it. Owner comes up and says her laptop is missing and we're trying to find it. About to start calling the security center to review the tapes when the guy comes back apologizing about taking the laptop.

He had placed his laptop in the wrong pocket of his laptop case and put the other person's laptop in the other pocket. He said he realized his bag was heavier than usual and noticed he had two laptops in his bag and returned back to the checkpoint. There they spent the next minute booting up the laptops to make sure they had the correct ones.

That story thankfully had a happy ending.

One time had this Japanese couple were looking for their shopping bag at the x-ray table. They described it as brightly green colored and two bottles of wine in it (before the liquid ban). We find it all the way at the end and when we go up to the person next to it asking if it's his, he says yes, the bag belonged to him. We the couple and the rest of us go back to the front of the checkpoint trying to see if they left it outside and see no green bag to be found. Go back to the end of the table and find the guy gone, but the green bag still there.

Still a bit confused to this day how that guy was claiming the brightly green shopping bag belonged to him. I guess he realized he did not really have a green shopping bag and just left.
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I would definitely have had a similar reaction. Like others before I don't enter the wtmd until my stuff is in the x-ray cabin and unlikely to be spit out, but with the two lines into one nonsense and people who forget to remove their shoes, cell phones and what-not it can exit before I get to the other side.

I notice that I'm a lot more sensitive when I go through the security stupidity these days, than I ever was before the TSA nonsense began. It's almost like you tense up to deal with the b.s. and it's a bad thing for someone (tsa or not) to get in your way.
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I recall an Austrailan woman departing SYD or MEL who claimed she had lost some significantly valuable jewellery at a screening point.

Thank you for the vigilance tips.
Old Jul 23, 07, 10:21 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Lately I've been taking the whole bin with me to the gate. Let the TSA'holes round'em up! I'd take them home but they tend to be a little grungy.

It's my bin. I paid for it with my ticket taxes.

(Well, here at LAX some company paid for it with an advert.)

Perhaps we should start moving bins around the country to other airports?
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
but i would never touch the contents of the bin.
Neither would I.
Old Jul 24, 07, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
I push people's stuff towards the end of the rollers to help them on the way towards the end so others can move down too, but i would never touch the contents of the bin.

I think I recall TSOs taking stuff out of bins to reclaim the bins, but never another passenger.

Indeed? I'll move bins off the rollers onto the table, but I never take stuff out of the bins or bowls...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: