Traveling with Watercolor paint

Old Jul 22, 07, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
Wink Traveling with Watercolor paint

Hi,
My wife and I are planning a RTW trip, and we're wondering if anyone has any experience taking watercolor paint in carry-on luggage. The paint comes in small (< 3oz) tubes, and in theory can be put in a ziploc bag. In theory, (TSA website) non-flammable paint is OK, but we're wondering what international travel restrictions might be like?
Anyone have any direct/indirect experience?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 07, 3:51 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Expect an inconsistent experience. No reason you can't take the paint as described.
Old Jul 22, 07, 5:39 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, ANZ Airpoints
You might get some delay from agents wanting to confirm is allowed. If you dont expect to be painting watercolours on the plane, why not put them in your checked luggage? Or are you doing RTW with only carry on?
Old Jul 22, 07, 8:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Kanada goose View Post
You might get some delay from agents wanting to confirm is allowed. If you dont expect to be painting watercolours on the plane, why not put them in your checked luggage? Or are you doing RTW with only carry on?
Never assume that a poster on FT does anything as conventional as check luggage.
Old Jul 23, 07, 6:13 am

They may not even look as long as they are in the proper size container and baggy. I usually put my Auto Air (http://www.autoaircolors.com/) paints in my checked luggage.
Old Jul 23, 07, 11:04 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by essxjay View Post
Never assume that a poster on FT does anything as conventional as check luggage.
I learned that my first 2 weeks on this board. I asked MrsJ (a classically trained artist, MFA and jewelry designer) and she said she would only put paints in checked baggage by first putting them in one of my small Pelican cases that I use to transport ammo. She's had the bad experience of one of her oils tubes bursting and leaking on her favorite sweater.
Old Jul 23, 07, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Naturally, we'd rather not check luggage. The RTW trip involves, say, one routing from HNL to GUM to NRT to ICN to SYD. Color me skeptical that the luggage makes it. The only tricky thing to carry will be the watercolors, as they come in unfamiliar and opaque tubes.
Thanks for the link to the Pelican case; I've passed it on.
Old Jul 23, 07, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Kanada goose View Post
Or are you doing RTW with only carry on?
Originally Posted by 211232 View Post
Naturally, we'd rather not check luggage. The RTW trip involves, say, one routing from HNL to GUM to NRT to ICN to SYD. Color me skeptical that the luggage makes it.
Whudid I tell ya folks? The sign of a true FTer: RTW with carryon only!

BTW, welcome to Flyertalk, 211232.
Old Jul 23, 07, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
You could put labels on the tubes:
- Red Lipstick
- Brown Eyeliner
- Black Mascara
- etc.

Then just say its makeup!
Old Jul 24, 07, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Aww shucks. Thanks for the welcome; I've lurked for a long time now, but never had anything to say until now.
As for the makeup idea, VK, I wonder if that might work. There's really no reason that the tubes need to be labeled as paint -- some address labels and a fancy logo and they might as well be "makeup." So sneaky; I love it.

Search this Thread