Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Keeping the Skies Friendly: Next Steps for General Aviation Security

Old Jul 22, 07, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, OnePass, SPG Gold

by James Jay Carafano, Ph.D.

"Significant upgrades to aviation security have been achieved since 9/11, but challenging problems still test our legendary American ingenuity. This analysis by FSM Contributing Editor James Jay Carafano, Ph.D., outlines remaining vulnerabilities that you should know about."

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org...php?id=1150975
Old Jul 22, 07, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"upgrades"? Is this guy on crack? Did he get his Ph.D. from Hollywood Upstairs Medical College?

Most of what has changed in general aviation security is pure harassment and "security" theater. The next steps are the repeal of most of this nonsense and the severe punishment of those imbeciles responsible for such crap.

Last edited by Spiff; Jul 22, 07 at 2:54 pm
Old Jul 22, 07, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

Fear-mongering at its finest:

Focusing on the Right Problem

The most worrisome threat from general aviation comes from using aircraft as a transportation platform—a means to convey "bad things" or "bad people." General aviation is a fairly discrete means to move cargo in a short amount of time over a long distance ...
"Bla bla-blah, bla-blah bla-blahhhhh."

J.H.C., how do these people manage to sleep at night if they're so sick with worry?! Or maybe it's just about making middle Americans sick to their stomach with worry and making a quick buck by writing "contributing editor" *cough* articles *cough* for some family-values 501(c)(3) web site. ::sickening::

Love how they invoke Tricky Dick Nixon's paranoia on drugs to buttress their claim for the need to hassle GA as necessary to fighting the War on Terror. (Dig the snickeriffic mother-and-child (semi-pieta) iconography on the homepage banner. *ROTFLMAO*)

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 22, 07 at 7:45 pm
Old Jul 22, 07, 2:21 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
"upgrades"? Is this guy on crack? Did he get his Ph.D. from Hollywood Upstairs Medical College?
No, his academic credentials are legit. He's currently a policy wonk at The Heritage Foundation:

James Jay Carafano, Ph.D.
Assistant Director, Kathryn and Shelby Cullom Davis Institute for International Studies and Senior Research Fellow, Douglas and Sarah Allison Center for Foreign Policy Studies

Before becoming a policy expert, he served 25 years in the Army, rising to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. His areas of expertise included military strategy, joint operations, future combat systems, post-conflict operations, and nuclear weapons. During his service, Carafano served in Europe, Korea, and the United States and was head speechwriter for the Army Chief of Staff, the service's highest-ranking officer. Before retiring, he was Executive Editor of Joint Force Quarterly, the Defense Department's premiere professional military journal.

Carafano is a member of the National Academy's Board on Army Science and Technology, the Department of the Army Historical Advisory Committee, and is a Senior Fellow at the George Washington University's Homeland Security Policy Institute.

A graduate of West Point, Carafano also has a master's degree and a doctorate from Georgetown University and a master's degree in strategy from the U.S. Army War College. In 2005, Carafano earned Heritage's prestigious Drs. W. Glenn and Rita Ricardo Campbell Award. It is given to the employee who has delivered "an outstanding contribution to the analysis and promotion of the Free Society.
It's disturbing to me how a career military officer and scholar manages to conflate the concepts of legitimate acts of national self-defense with the bogus notions of "War on Terror" or "War on Drugs" (much like LBJ's "War on Poverty"). Then again, it makes for a good career move if you can manage to keep up the illusory "war" ...

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 22, 07 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 22, 07, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by essxjay View Post
It's disturbing to me how a career military officer and scholar manages to conflate the concepts of legitimate acts of national self-defense with the bogus notions of "War on Terror" or "War on Drugs" (much like LBJ's "War on Poverty"). Then again, it makes for a good career move if you can manage to keep up the illusory "war" ...

The idiots in charge of "homeland security" and the wars on terror/drugs/etc. are career bureaucrats and have no real interest in "winning" the war they have defined. They just want to expand their influence and collect an inflated salary. If they were truly successful at their jobs, they would put themselves out of work.
Old Jul 22, 07, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
This "Professor" has no credentials whatsoever to comment on aviation or anything related to aviation, therefore pretty much everything he wrote in that article is simply fodder for the fear-mongering anything-for-security crowd while making General Aviation the unfortunate victim of his conclusions.

Just another opinionated half-witted hack who would happily ban GA outright, even though he hasn't a solitary clue about the industry itself or the economic impact of it.

Since I have some fairly decent credentials regarding the aviation industry, perhaps I will just write an article about dismantling the military-industrial complex and imprisoning its leaders - since I know very little about it, but have an opinion of it, my article should carry about as much weight as Dr. Carafano's.
Old Jul 22, 07, 7:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles SM
No, his academic credentials are legit. He's currently a policy wonk at The Heritage Foundation:

Heritage foundation, that says it all.
Old Jul 22, 07, 7:40 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Since I have some fairly decent credentials regarding the aviation industry, perhaps I will just write an article about dismantling the military-industrial complex and imprisoning its leaders - since I know very little about it, but have an opinion of it, my article should carry about as much weight as Dr. Carafano's.
I hope you do write something. Keep us posted!
Old Jul 22, 07, 7:43 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Second that.
Old Jul 22, 07, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Well, I was using abit of sarcasm by drawing a connection to show how silly it is for someone with credentials in one area to take an authoritative stance on a subject totally unrelated to their expertise. The article's author has about as much expertise writing about aviation as I would have writing about minimally invasive surgery.

The problem with this and similar articles occurs when groups with power or authority use them as the basis for regulation or control, backed up by a healthy dose of scare tactics or veiled threats aimed at dissenters.
Old Jul 22, 07, 8:04 pm
Original Member

The problem with this and similar articles occurs when groups with power or authority use them as the basis for regulation or control, backed up by a healthy dose of scare tactics or veiled threats aimed at dissenters.
What frosts me is the abuse of the 501(c)(3) code of the to propagate all kinds of ignorance and nonsense in the name of "education" (especially when the non-profit in question accepts gov't money on top of their allegedly non-partisan, non-religious status).
Old Jul 22, 07, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What frosts me is the abuse of the 501(c)(3) code of the to propagate all kinds of ignorance and nonsense in the name of "education" (especially when the non-profit in question accepts gov't money on top of their allegedly non-partisan, non-religious status).
I read through some of the other articles and opinions in that website...what a scary place those people must live in. Even the website banner is a cliche - the white, blonde mother and son superimposed over our flag colors. Didn't they use that kind of propaganda imagery in China, North Korea and the old Iron Curtain?
Old Jul 22, 07, 8:32 pm
Original Member

Even the website banner is a cliche - the white, blonde mother and son superimposed over our flag colors. Didn't they use that kind of propaganda imagery in China, North Korea and the old Iron Curtain?
Yee-yup. (Actually, this type of nationalistic imagery is used every day. I saw some amazingly strong stuff on Segolene Royal's website before the French presidential elections.)

As I mentioned earlier, the pieta (suffering mother and child) is a common icon in pre-Renaissance painting and sculpture, although other symbols are used in place of national flags. But the idea is the same.

Search this Thread