British tourists turn their back on America

Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Well, you're one of a kind Spiff!

Seriously, I don't see families canceling vacation plans to Disney World or Hawaii just because of hassles at the airports. Yes, they are embarrassing, and I hope the new prez will make some serious changes. But I gotta believe this reduction has other roots.
You don't see this? Are you blind? I don't ANYONE who hasn't visited the USA lately and said that was the last time they were going there. Even those who reluctlantly return because of business or family connections are deeply offended by the treatment they received. Why would you look at a situation in which would-be visitors are required to pay 100 dollars, stand in line for hours and wait for months just to get an appointment for an interview, are then subjected to a series of inappropriate and ignorant questions by some low-level bureaucrat just to get a visa, are on arrival in the USA subjected to demands for a photo and fingerprints, are prevented from using their mobiles, and are generally treated like criminals, often being detained and/or searched for several hours, and then arrive at the conclusion that "this reduction has other roots?" Are you suggesting this treatment hasn't has any impact?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by polonius
Why would you look at a situation in which would-be visitors are required to pay 100 dollars, stand in line for hours and wait for months just to get an appointment for an interview, are then subjected to a series of inappropriate and ignorant questions by some low-level bureaucrat just to get a visa, are on arrival in the USA subjected to demands for a photo and fingerprints, are prevented from using their mobiles, and are generally treated like criminals, often being detained and/or searched for several hours, and then arrive at the conclusion that "this reduction has other roots?" Are you suggesting this treatment hasn't has any impact?
The other poster may be referring to the fact that the entire ordeal of applying for and obtaining a visa, traveling to and being processed into the U.S. impacts different groups of people at different nodes.

Any traveler from what the U.S. perceives as a developing country will find the entire experience to be extremely demeaning and frustrating. Most travelers from countries the U.S. perceives as being developed and "friendly" face minimal hardship but this hardship occurs at the node involving admission to the U.S.

I too know of many people who no longer travel to the U.S. or who have chosen to study/work elsewhere - America's loss, not theirs. However, as I mentioned earlier - every man has his price. Some are willing to put up with the hassles discussed here because they feel the rewards outweigh the pain and because the cost of a U.S. vacation may be substantially lower.

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; Jul 25, 2007 at 1:14 pm
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
The other poster may be referring to the fact that the entire ordeal of applying for and obtaining a visa, traveling to and being processed into the U.S. impacts different groups of people at different nodes.

Any traveler from what the U.S. perceives as a developing country will find the entire experience to be extremely demeaning and frustrating.
I suspect that anyone from a developed country also finds the entire experience to be extremely demeaning & frustrating
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bouncer
With respect, other than the actual entry at Immigration, there's really no difference. We all have to pick up our bags and re-check them. Then we all clear yet another (sigh...) security checkpoint.
Most civilised countries keep transit passengers safely airside and generally they don't need the same level of visa (if any) in order to transit the country. They also generally don't have to collect & recheck their luggage, fill in forms about the purpose of the visit, tell immigration officers the purpose of their visit, don't have to be fingerprinted or photographed and don't normally have to be worried that some immigration type decides that they are to be denied entry and so sent back to their departure point even though all they wanted to do was get from A to B and it was their misfortune to do so via a country that can't design an airport to keep transit passengers away from people wanting to visit their country
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Any traveler from what the U.S. perceives as a developing country will find the entire experience to be extremely demeaning and frustrating.
Originally Posted by alanR
I suspect that anyone from a developed country also finds the entire experience to be extremely demeaning & frustrating
The U.S. is an equal opportunist in the demeaning and frustration department. So I was gunna say, how would a non-U.S. citizen/resident know the difference in how he or she was perceived viz a viz nationals of other countries?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by essxjay
The U.S. is an equal opportunist in the demeaning and frustration department. So I was gunna say, how would a non-U.S. citizen/resident know the difference in how he or she was perceived viz a viz nationals of other countries?
The difference is I can enter on visa waiver so save the extra hassle of the visa in advance process. That said, US is still one of the most unpleasant countries to enter even with a visa waiver.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Well as a long time reader of the Telegraph I’ve become used to Charles Starmer-Smith’s and Francisco Kellet's less than balanced take on events stateside in their travel blogs. Last week the subject of CSS’s ire was American mileage runners. A couple of months ago it was the great US airport "robbery" of $10 although the much larger UK imposed APD doesn’t appear to be an issue. This week FK touches on this very subject, puts the decline down to the security issues, slips in a gratuitous dig about Freedom fries and finishes with the charming comment about the US. “It almost makes you feel sorry for them. Almost.” In short given the ill informed rubbish they write it would appear that ironically enough for travel writers they need to get out more.

Originally Posted by alanR
LHR and every other UK airport are busier than ever so it can't be UK security restrictions that are causing the problem
By the same token Irish people are heading to the US in record numbers to avail of the low dollar even for very short shopping trips that last a couple of days so it can’t be the US immigration/security procedures that are causing the problem.

Clearly we need to look elsewhere. @:-) Ah, Swanhunter and Duchy the voices of reason.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
As noted above, there are other factors at play. The US isn't a 'cool' destination in the way it was 10 years ago. People have moved on to cheaper or more interesting destinations be that Mexico, the Carribbean, South Africa or Thailand. I look at my colleagues, many of whom holidayed in the US but no longer do so. The average Brit has got more adventurous.
This is a good point and one which both you and Duchy make. Another factor is that Brown’s stealth taxes have steadily squeezed disposable income in the UK so frivolous shopping trips to the US aren’t exactly high on the agenda for many at the moment. BTW this may well happen wrt to Irish visitors in the next 12-24 months due to a pending economic downturn at which point the decline in numbers will no doubt be all down to the fingerprinting and the $10 charge as well.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by duchy
I must look law abiding.
I've honestly never been treated like a criminal when entering the US-even when I've still had the "green slip" still in my passport from a previous trip. I don't think it's an airport specific issue as I vary my gateway airport usually JFK, ORD, or DFW averaging 3/4 trips a year TATL .
Not exceptional at all as this mirrors my experience and those of my friends. I've had pleasant chats with US immigration/custom guys about Irish ancestors, and my trips to Brasil. I suspect part of the reason we don’t find the US immigration/customs process to be so intolerable and "unpleasant" is that we don’t roll up to the desk with the ‘tude. Also the TSA people I encounter are pretty much all sound but I guess it helps that I have everything ready to go, BP in hand and am pleasant to them. @:-)

In the last couple of months I’ve flown almost 70 k miles mainly on AA and transited the US 6 times by choice via DFW, JFK, MIA. The AA legs to/from the US were a doddle and my top 3 travel peeves all occurred outside the US
1) Waiting almost an hour to use BA’s “fast” bag drop at CDG which took longer than my 6 entries into the US.
2) Excessively long exit queues at GIG when the Policia Federal were doing a work to rule.
3) Lengthy security lines at DUB at 6am on a Wed morning.

As an aside MIA as an entry point has improved immeasurably in recent years. Queues are much shorter and attitudes way better than when I first started using it 8-10 years ago. ^

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
On the other hand, complaints about our airport security system must come from those living in an alternate universe. I can't tell you how many times I have been in line in SFO for an international flight and heard UK passengers commenting about how much easier it was in the US compared to the UK.
Agreed, but hey let’s not let the facts get in the way of some good old DHS/TSA bashing.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
UK and other citizens: please continue to boycott our country if we continue to treat you like criminals and charge you even more for the experience.

When the harassment stops, I'll be among the first to welcome you here, if you're in a forgiving mood.
On the contrary it’s a pleasure to visit a country that at least endeavours to keep track of who’s entering it even if no system can be 100% watertight. Makes me quite envious given the approach over here so nothing to apologise for. ^
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oiRRio
On the contrary it’s a pleasure to visit a country that at least endeavours to keep track of who’s entering it even if no system can be 100% watertight. Makes me quite envious given the approach over here so nothing to apologise for. ^
Even Mugabe's Zimbabwe "at least endeavours to keep track of who's entering". A pleasure to visit there too "even if no system can be 100% watertight".
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Israel gets no tourism money from me because of their treatment of travelers who depart TLV.
Huh. In my recent experience (i.e. since the new terminal opened), TLV's a great airport to fly from. Security is a breeze compared to any major US airport (to say nothing of LHR) and unlike with the TSA, the experience is consistently courteous and devoid of pointless theatre.

Now, I might have (OMNI-appropriate) reasons not to want to spend money in Israel but airport security hassles haven't been a factor for years.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Do you, as an American, get fingerprinted (soon all 10 prints)? Do you get the eye scan treatment? Do you get questioned/grilled/interrogated for 2/10/60+ minutes (both depending on the mood of the agent) over why your travel doesn't make sense to them?
The US does not have a monopoly on surly, intimidating border agents. As an American, I regularly get grilled at immigration flying into the UK or Canada, coming close to being refused entry at LHR some years ago (while studying at Oxford popped down to Paris one weekend and hadn't packed proof of my enrollment.)

Never had a problem outside the commonwealth (modulo the cartons of Marlboros that were occasionally necessary to get an entry visa in third-world nations). Not sure why.

Last edited by terrier; Jul 25, 2007 at 6:24 pm
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by terrier
Huh. In my recent experience (i.e. since the new terminal opened), TLV's a great airport to fly from. Security is a breeze compared to any major US airport (to say nothing of LHR) and unlike with the TSA, the experience is consistently courteous and devoid of pointless theatre.
Sorry to disagree, but I will not submit to an interrogation for the privilege of departing TLV.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I suspect fingerprinting is here to stay, no matter who's in the White House. Personally, it seems like a needle in a haystack approach, but NO ONE in the American political scene is going to want to appear weak on int'l terrorism (except perhaps someone like Obama, but that's why he has virtually no chance of being the next President).

It does seem like there should be a bureaucratic solution to some of the insane visa rules (not sure why this would matter to Brits, though), but this may take a while. After all, the State Department can't even get passports into the hands of all the Americans who want them these days.

In general, though, I think it's crazy for Brits (and other Europeans) not to take advantage of the current extremely favorable exchange rates to visit the US. Let's face it: Europe's economy isn't exactly the envy of the world these days, so the idea that its currencies will continue to appreciate against the Dollar forever seems like fantasy.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by essxjay
Someone thinking of visiting the U.S. that hails from a developing country has to interface with the bureaucracy at more nodes than someone from say, Britain or Germany. The visa process is expensive and arduous - involves the potential of traveling thousands of miles to the closest U.S. visa issuance point for an interview that is probably better classified as an interrogation. A few weeks pass and then one's passport is returned with either a visa or a stamp indicating that the U.S. has rejected a visa application. Very few applicants from Britain or Germany would have to go through this.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
As an aside MIA as an entry point has improved immeasurably in recent years. Queues are much shorter and attitudes way better than when I first started using it 8-10 years ago.
No doubt because Iberia has moved it's North American hub from MIA to YYZ because the constant hassling of its transit passengers by US Customs and Border Protection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.