Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British tourists turn their back on America

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:21 pm

I would guess that these statistics are *not* compiled by inquiring of every hospital in Ireland as to whether or not they have admitted any Brits. My guess is that the statistics are compiled from reports the British embassy or consulate gets about their subjects being hospitalized. In most cases, Brits who are hospitalized in Ireland would have zero reason to report it to the consulate or embassy. The same would be true for the Netherlands (for which supposedly only 2 Britons were ever hospitalized during a one-year period, and which I find equally dubious).
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle2182341.ece

There are as many British tourists to Ireland as there are to the US yet they are 6 times as likely to lose their passports, THIRTY times as likely to be arrested and 25 times as likely to end up in hospital

Even compared to Spain, per capita, they are 50% more likely to lose their passport and almost 3 times as likely to be arrested - though they are two-thirds less likely to end up in hospital.
Relevant factors not shown in that table: length of visit, places visited, purpose of visit.

It's reasonable to pop over to Dublin for a weekend from the UK, less so to pop across the pond for a weekend. I believe UK travelers stay considerably longer in the US, on average, than in Ireland.

Also, most visitors to the US (outside New York) hire cars; I'd be pretty surprised if automobile-related accidents aren't the leading cause of hospitalization (and drink-driving the leading cause of arrests) among UK visitors. Contrast with stag & hen weekenders who never leave the Temple Bar area and walk or taxi to their hotels (if they stay overnight at all).
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by hiltonhead
Really? Wow...in your world, who runs the legal system, miltary, building of society, interstate commerce, and any other multitude of duties required of a government? The weak and unfortunate? I did not know that the wealthy and powerful were currently hunting the weak and unfortunate (I take from your post that unfortunate is a relative term that means...receiving government checks or depending on the government to live). Seems like more of a case of social-economic envy more than anything else. Don't hate those that strive to get ahead and/or are financially sucessful...go to school and blaze your own trail! It is too easy for most to give up after a series of bad life choices and to sit around and blame those that made good choices. Why must the successful be punished for their success and be made to pay a penalty (higher taxes) to those that did not have the drive, motivation, or work ethic to pay their own way in society? Not the truly handicapped or those that were victims of unforeseen circumstances that they could not control, but the majority who depend on the government because it is easier. The same ones that dropped out of high school, won't work at McDonald's because it is degrading, the ones that seem to have perfect ovaries that produce children into poverty yearly, the ones with multiple addictions and committ crimes to support them. Why punish the wealthy to reward those that have effectively dropped out of life? This is not what the government was intended for. So back to the original post...in America, you have the right and ability to provide your child with health insurance, you just have to get up and do it, not whining and blowing snot bubbles at the government about how unfair your plight is. Life is not fair...some have to work harder than others.
You have some terribly twisted "logic". You seem to have concluded that caring about the unfortunate means hating the fortunate, that paying your fair share of taxes is punishing the wealthy and that wanting to co-operate with others is a symptom of social-economic envy. I have more than enough money to do both -- contribute my fair share to the common good, and have enough left over to live a lifestyle my parents and grandparents would never have thought imaginable when they were my age. The powerful in America ARE hunting the weak -- that why you have such a huge percentage of the black population in your overflowing, inhumane prison system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.