Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

House members weigh alternate paths to TSA bargaining rights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:01 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

Source: GovExec.com
Last week, Senate Democrats agreed to strip language from the bill that would have granted bargaining rights to TSA screeners. Senate Republicans had requested assurances that the measure would not grant screeners such rights, largely because President Bush has threatened to veto the bill, citing the TSA provision.

"We don't see it as an issue to national security that TSA workers have the right to bargain," Thompson said. He added, however, that conferees view the TSA issue with reluctance, especially if its inclusion means the entire bill would falter. He said there has been some discussion with the Senate as to whether there is another way to get at the collective bargaining issue.
One commenter so far.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Just posted a comment. Hopefully it'll be number 2. It'll have a flyertalkesque ring to it, but you can definitely tell it won't be from Spiff.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 6:48 am

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by Superguy
Just posted a comment. Hopefully it'll be number 2. It'll have a flyertalkesque ring to it, but you can definitely tell it won't be from Spiff.
Your comment was not up on the site as of 7:42 CDT. The editorial staff at GovernmentExecutive.com reserves the right to censor comments: "All comments will be reviewed by our editorial team before posting, so there may be a delay between the time you post your comment and when it appears on the page." One hopes that this review is only to remove obscene or libelous posts, not comments uncomplementary to the machine. Somehow I get the sense that many of the posts here on FT TS/S would not be approved for GovernmentExecutive.com. The remedy for free speech with which one disagrees is more free speech, not limiting free speech.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Still not up 4 hours later either.

Pretty much I said that TSA shouldn't get collective bargaining and be allowed to unionize because they're already unaccountable. Unions would make them untouchable. If we think it's bad at the airport now ...
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Superguy
Pretty much I said that TSA shouldn't get collective bargaining and be allowed to unionize because they're already unaccountable. Unions would make them untouchable. If we think it's bad at the airport now ...
How long was Reagan in office before he threatened to fire striking ATCs? (And then acted on it??)
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Reagan fired striking ATC's. NOBODY is going to fire shirking Screeners. The ones with attitude just keep getting to push us around.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:15 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dresden
Reagan fired striking ATC's.
Which is exactly what I just said.

Perhaps I was being too subtle. What I was getting at was, how long was it from the time a new occupant took up residence in the White House until the time said CoC fired a warning shot across the bow of a unionized workforce, and then again until he pulled the trigger. @:-) (Answer: 6-1/2 months, and then 2 days respectively.)

NOBODY is going to fire shirking Screeners. The ones with attitude just keep getting to push us around.
Sometimes history nicely repeats itself.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 21, 2007 at 1:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.