Best way to conceal a liquid

Old Jul 20, 07, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

First off, I'd like to apologize to all of the TSA rah-rah's on this board for starting a subject that might aid the terr'ists.

But on a more serious note, what's the best way to conceal an innocent tube of hair gel. I can't find this brand in any container less than 5.1 oz unfortunately. I think it's been said that the cap often gives it away because it's more dense. Would wrapping it in a bunch of towels make it very hard to detect on the x-ray?
Old Jul 20, 07, 4:22 pm

Check it.
Old Jul 20, 07, 4:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Take a page from the smokers' playbook and, assuming the gel is in a plastic tube, simply stick it into your pants pocket (let your imagination run on about which pocket I'm talking about) and waltz on through the WTMD. Problem solved.
Old Jul 20, 07, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DL4EVR View Post
First off, I'd like to apologize to all of the TSA rah-rah's on this board for starting a subject that might aid the terr'ists.

But on a more serious note, what's the best way to conceal an innocent tube of hair gel. I can't find this brand in any container less than 5.1 oz unfortunately. I think it's been said that the cap often gives it away because it's more dense. Would wrapping it in a bunch of towels make it very hard to detect on the x-ray?
You could put the gel into a smaller container that is still semi-squeezable. The TSA not only cannot detect explosives components in these stupid KHIAI/KHIAAH baggies, they cannot tell the difference between a container that contains what it claims to contain and one that does not. Furthermore, unless the container is gargantuan, I doubt they'd be able to do a volume test on a 5 oz container that was stamped 3.4oz/100ml. Know a good injection-molding firm?

Seriously, look for travel-sized containers of things like Axe Body Wash if you'd like to port something squeezable and don't want to risk losing it to touchy-gropy TSA employees or their sticky-fingered counterparts on Baggage Rummaging Patrol.

Last edited by Spiff; Jul 20, 07 at 4:42 pm
Old Jul 20, 07, 4:33 pm
sy7

Another option is to squeeze however much of the gel you need into a small sandwich/ziploc bag. I routinely do this with sunscreen (mainly because I don't want to carry the "big" 3 oz tube with me, and I've been doing this for years, eg way before the liquid ban) and it has never been an issue. BTW, I don't put this in the clear ziploc bag with the other <3 oz containers but instead it goes with my other cosmetic items. Truthfully, I think screeners are looking for large containers and an amorphous shaped sandwich bag will not cause any comment.
Old Jul 20, 07, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Freeze it. While you go through TSA it's not a liquid, it's a solid. If it melts by the time you get to your destination, you'll have your liquid back.
Old Jul 20, 07, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Avis Select
front pocket, the reason I say this is that someone I sat next to recently told me that a UA ticket counter agent told him to do this for an expensive bottle of suntan lotion
Old Jul 20, 07, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
In the not to distant future

I can see a time, not too far in the future, where we'll all have to undergo chest and pelvic x-rays to make sure we're not smuggling liquids and gels in via the drug mule method (condoms filled with contraband and swallowed) and endure body cavity searches to make sure nothing's being smuggled through security "prison" style. Won't it be nice to travel then?
Old Jul 20, 07, 4:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Frodosan View Post
I can see a time, not too far in the future, where we'll all have to undergo chest and pelvic x-rays to make sure we're not smuggling liquids and gels in via the drug mule method (condoms filled with contraband and swallowed) and endure body cavity searches to make sure nothing's being smuggled through security "prison" style. Won't it be nice to travel then?
You might might want to search this forum for more discussion on scanning equipment that does just want you suggest: hands-free cavity searches.
Old Jul 20, 07, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC

I've always found my bladder useful.
Old Jul 20, 07, 6:02 pm

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
If you hide the tube in your pants, and you get patted down and the TSA finds it, what happens? Do you get arrested?
Old Jul 20, 07, 6:26 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Just stick it in the bag. In dozens upon dozens of trips through the screening process at airports around the country, I have not ONCE had my evil, dangerous and unlawful toothpaste and gel deodorant discovered by the ever-vigilant TSA screening staff.

Makes one brim with confidence that they'll find actual threats to aviation security, doesn't it?
Old Jul 20, 07, 6:27 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Tucker501 View Post
If you hide the tube in your pants, and you get patted down and the TSA finds it, what happens? Do you get arrested?
Play dumb...
Old Jul 20, 07, 6:29 pm

Programs: TSA Lead Transportation Security Officer
Wal-Mart sells refillable 3 oz containers, why try to smuggle it in when you can bring it in legitimately?
Old Jul 20, 07, 6:34 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by hungry_joe View Post
Wal-Mart sells refillable 3 oz containers, why try to smuggle it in when you can bring it in legitimately?
Because there's absolutely nothing dangerous or illegitimate about carrying liquids and gels on aircraft?

Because the entire liquids and gels farce is about trying to keep the sheeple of America in a constant state of fear, never knowing what the government will have them worried about next?

Because you're sadly trying to justify unthinking compliance with nonsensical rules?

Carrying liquids and gels on is a small act of civil disobedience against one of the most pointless examples of security theatre ever inflicted on the American people.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: