Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to conceal a liquid

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'd like to know exactly how people are getting away with putting those pernicious liquids and gels in their pockets - I tried it once and the damn metal detector went off. Maybe it would be helpful if we started a list of brands that don't contain lots of metal.

From my experience, at least some Kiehl's products (moisturizer and shaving cream) do contain some amount of metal.
Gillette men's deodorant got thru just fine.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
From my experience, at least some Kiehl's products (moisturizer and shaving cream) do contain some amount of metal.
Must be the container; it would be very difficult for any toiletry product in liquid or gel form to intrinsically contain enough metal to set off the WTMD.

I do not recommend trying to carry a metal can of shaving gel through the WTMD.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by flyrad
However, when and if they get delayed for some "quality" time in TSA land, they have nobody to blame but themselves.
Well, of course. Why would it be any other way?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG/Hyatt/Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by essxjay
Well, of course. Why would it be any other way?
Ah, you know, it is sometimes human nature to blame anyone or anything else for annoying situations, even if self induced.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Diamond
Anyone know the TSA's stance on solid deodorant (assuming it doesn't vary from screener to screener, which it probably does)? I've never once put it in my baggie (using the logic that "solid" deodorant isn't a liquid), but I see people with it in their baggies all the time. I've gone through dozens and dozens of times, and nobody has ever said a word about it.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boogie78
Anyone know the TSA's stance on solid deodorant (assuming it doesn't vary from screener to screener, which it probably does)? I've never once put it in my baggie (using the logic that "solid" deodorant isn't a liquid), but I see people with it in their baggies all the time. I've gone through dozens and dozens of times, and nobody has ever said a word about it.
If it's an old-style stick or a gel-based "stick" deodorant, the policy is, I believe, that it needs to be in the baggie since it contains liquid (the paste of the old-style sticks being close enough in consistency to a gel to alarm some screeners. )

However, the "policy" does vary from screener to screener. My wife had her solid deodorant crystal confiscated by the TSA, and mine has been looked at closely a number of times by TSOs as well. We filed a claim on my wife's, and got back a form letter from the TSA denying the claim since "the TSA did nothing wrong, and US law requires the loss to be due to some wrongdoing on the part of our agency." Double on that.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The problem with SOLID deodorant occurs with an over-zealous screener with the attitude: "BAG CHECK! [cuz it might be gel and we won't know 'til we see the letters s-o-l-i-d for ourselves ....]"
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I got lectured at one airport to put it in the baggie 'out of an abundance of caution, since we can't tell otherwise' and lectured at another because 'it is a solid and doesn't belong there'.

I have plenty of room in the baggie, so I just toss it in there with all my other toiletries and say 'better safe than sorry' if a screener says anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.