Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to conceal a liquid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
And lest we forget... if all of those liquids are so frickin' dangerous, why are they kept in a bin at the checkpoint? Riddle me this...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Remind me to check my toothpaste ONLY and demand compensation if it gets lost.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by CLELOSER
Of course people trying to circumvent the system will probably lead to more random patdowns. Hey, it doesn't matter that YOUR PERSONAL GREED will lead to more hassles for those WHO DO FOLLOW THE RULES now does it???
Color me guilty of GREED for my civil liberties. @:-)
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:21 pm

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
Has anybody frozen a large tube of toothpaste and gotten it through? Not sure how the consistency would be after defrosting.

My strategy for larger than 100ML is to but it on the bottom/under several other other tubes. TSA never notices my 5.4OZ toothpaste. Truthfully it is hard to find 3 oz of toothpaste.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I've only been traveling with solids/powders/towelettes for the last several sets of flights. Even though the bottles and jars are the same shapes/sizes as if they had liquids in them, nobody at security has wanted to inspect them. I am a little surprised. Aren't they supposed to be able to tell from the shape of the containers or do they have some way to see liquids, like they're a different color on the monitor or something?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
I notice that few, if any, of the tubed products I like to travel with come in tubes that list the volume. Only mass/weight (Yes, I know they are not the same thing, Professor!)

So how am I to know what the volume is of my 2 oz tube of Neosporin is?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:07 pm

Programs: Anything and everything I can sign up for. At least the ones I can get some benefit from.
Unhappy

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Just stick it in the bag. In dozens upon dozens of trips through the screening process at airports around the country, I have not ONCE had my evil, dangerous and unlawful toothpaste and gel deodorant discovered by the ever-vigilant TSA screening staff.

Makes one brim with confidence that they'll find actual threats to aviation security, doesn't it?
Flew out of TPA last week into CLT for a connection. Screener takes my carryon and informs me she needs to look at it closer. Long story short..... they miss the 3 bic lighters, the pocket knife and the laser pointer shaped like a 30-06 bullet, BUT THEY CONFISCATE MY D_M_ DEODORANT!!!

My God people, think of the children.....

Sorry, I feel safer now [sigh]

Safe travels
Tim
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You can forget the freezing tactic.

The imbeciles "in charge" at the TSA claim that frozen items will eventually thaw into dangerous liquids. About the only science I can credit these morons with is understanding that some items that are frozen at room temperature will eventually revert to a liquid. Harmless is harmless, however. Pity these jackasses don't comprehend that aspect of the equation.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeHateY
I notice that few, if any, of the tubed products I like to travel with come in tubes that list the volume. Only mass/weight (Yes, I know they are not the same thing, Professor!)

So how am I to know what the volume is of my 2 oz tube of Neosporin is?
It doesn't matter to the TSA. 3.4 oz is volume to the screener, whether or not it is a measure of volume or weight.

Your 2 oz Neosporin could have the density of depleted uranium and it wouldn't matter.

Let's not confuse them with facts.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:30 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yet another reason to disband the TSA. You can't prove 'artful concealment', you can only allege it. That tactic might work on an inexperienced flyer having no relationship with the airline they're flying, but try that on a frequent flyer who has an ongoing revenue generating relationship with that carrier - I doubt the GSC is going to go along if the passenger rebuts the TSA claim. I can just say "oops, my wife packed my bag and thought I was going to check it". You can't prove otherwise.
Flying out of HSV last month I heard some guy pretty much said that very thing! Not only did they let him slide, but seeing his corp ID badge (Ratheon I think) they let him keep the 1/2 full tube of hair goo.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by hungry_joe
Wal-Mart sells refillable 3 oz containers, why try to smuggle it in when you can bring it in legitimately?
This is the best option, unless one is just trying to demonstrate disdain for the system, which is OK too.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Confederate Hokie
Flew out of TPA last week into CLT for a connection. Screener takes my carryon and informs me she needs to look at it closer. Long story short..... they miss the 3 bic lighters, the pocket knife and the laser pointer shaped like a 30-06 bullet, BUT THEY CONFISCATE MY D_M_ DEODORANT!!!

Truly laughable and sad.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
My experience has been as long as I have my little plastic baggie filled with stuff - they tend to ignore everything else. ( says she who flew every trip with lighters until I finally quit smoking )
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:45 am

Amen to the Sheeple

You hit it on the head Travis--keep the people with the least to fear on the edge of their seats and the hysteria will be a self-generating machine. Does anyone really think the TSA will ever consider it's job done and decide to shrink it's ranks? Heck no--when the administration created the agency it released a monster (along with the Dept of Homeland security).

Certain people will continue to harbor these fears, and certain law enforcement agencies in places like Cheyenne Wyoming will still happily take the federal dollars to buy themselves humvees to take on the hordes of terrorists outside the check-in curb.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by CLELOSER
Of course people trying to circumvent the system will probably lead to more random patdowns. Hey, it doesn't matter that YOUR PERSONAL GREED will lead to more hassles for those WHO DO FOLLOW THE RULES now does it??
Disobedience of pointless, useless rules like the Liquids Idiocy harms NO ONE. Someone taking a 3.7 oz tube of toothpaste - or a 2 liter bottle of water - through in carryon doesn't deserve to be hassled over it (or even questioned about it!), especially not in order to protect a system that CANNOT DO WHAT IT'S SUPPOSEDLY DOING FOR US.

Disobedience of TSA's stupid rules might just get them done away with faster. I'm all for that - it might actually lead me to consider air travel for vacations again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.