FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   "Interference with a flight crew" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/715973-interference-flight-crew.html)

LessO2 Jul 19, 2007 9:13 am

"Interference with a flight crew"

Okay, this thread will likely get little views when there is a thread with a title about showing an OP's breasts, but what the heck.

Just read this story about a woman and an incident on a SFO-DEN flight (why do all the weirdos end up in DEN?).

There's no question that there are grounds for child abuse charges for this passenger.

The thing I don't get is how talking back to a flight attendant, albeit allegedly rude, constitutes "interference with a flight crew."

Wally Bird Jul 19, 2007 9:28 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 8083849)
The thing I don't get is how talking back to a flight attendant, albeit allegedly rude, constitutes "interference with a flight crew."

Simple. All the FA has to do is feel threatened or intimidated (or actually* be assaulted in which case it's a no-brainer). That's the beauty of "interference"; it has to be disproved.

*as opposed to 'Anger Management'-style assault

MikeMpls Jul 19, 2007 11:09 am

Sounds to me as though it might have involved more than "talking back":
When a flight attendant intervened, Freeman allegedly threw a drink on the floor and confronted the flight attendant in a common area.

Freeman told investigators that she slapped her children because they were fighting over a window shade. She denied throwing a drink, saying she had set it down on the floor on the aisle and added she "lost it" while on the plane.

LessO2 Jul 19, 2007 11:49 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 8084597)
Sounds to me as though it might have involved more than "talking back":
When a flight attendant intervened, Freeman allegedly threw a drink on the floor and confronted the flight attendant in a common area.

Freeman told investigators that she slapped her children because they were fighting over a window shade. She denied throwing a drink, saying she had set it down on the floor on the aisle and added she "lost it" while on the plane.

Let's not kid ourselves. A SFO-DEN flight. It's takeoff, roll the beverage cart out and about 75 minutes of nothing else until prepping the cabin for landing.

Yes, I'm probably taking this into semantics territory, but I get so irritated with the weakest interpretations are used for laws that are meant to be used for more egregious violations.

Physically blocking or assaulting an FA or damaging the aircraft....that's what I think "interference with a flight crew" should be used for.

I'm not trying to defend this mother of the year candidate, but this "interference with a flight crew" -- where does it stop?

jonesing Jul 19, 2007 12:54 pm

SFO-DEN flight (why do all the weirdos end up in DEN?).

It's not their fault...it's the altitude and lack of oxygen! :D

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 8083950)
Simple. All the FA has to do is feel threatened or intimidated (or actually* be assaulted in which case it's a no-brainer). That's the beauty of "interference"; it has to be disproved.

*as opposed to 'Anger Management'-style assault

Yeah, it's the airline equivalent to "disorderly conduct" that police will hang on your for the most minute reason if they don't like the looks of you...

gofast Jul 20, 2007 1:01 pm

It's completely up to the Assistant United States Attorney assigned to the case. This one seems to be a stretch, and on the flip side there was a case where the AUSA declined to prosecute under the same statute when an Airtran pax physically assaulted a FA enroute to ATL.

NoClu Jul 20, 2007 3:39 pm

The flight attendant then took a defensive stance and grabbed duct tape, according to the affidavit.

"That would be the next step is to use restraining tape if we feel the passenger is still posing a risk to themselves or the flight," Hodas said.

Hmmmm. A defensive stance and duct-tape. Perhaps some Spidy-web would also have been useful.

Djlawman Jul 20, 2007 3:56 pm

Wow

Wow! I am really AMAZED that so many FlyerTalkers were actually on that plane and can have opinions about whether she interfered with a flight attendant or not.

I was NOT on the flight. However, I have gone to the court's website and read the complaint, and the affidavit supporting the arrest warrant. Talks about the 7 passengers who complained of her beating the children, non-stop profanities, threatening the flight attendant if she did not give her more alcohol, and how the flight attendant had to have a corrections officer switch seats and sit next to her for the remainder of the flight, while she kept uttering profanities, and the FA had to stand next to her with restraining tape, and had to reassign her duties to the other FAs in order to keep this woman from any further outbursts or improper action.

Anyone who wants the complaint, and affidavit supporting the arrest warrant can e-mail me.

Seems like interference with a flight crew to me.

Wally Bird Jul 21, 2007 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Djlawman (Post 8092668)
Wow! I am really AMAZED that so many FlyerTalkers were actually on that plane and can have opinions about whether she interfered with a flight attendant or not.
Anyone who wants the complaint, and affidavit supporting the arrest warrant can e-mail me.

Seems like interference with a flight crew to me.

Yes it does, but the previous posts were opining about what had been published in the media. That's all most of us have to go on; and it's usually insufficient.

Not that affadavits are always the unvarnished truth either, as we have seen in other incidents.

dd992emo Jul 21, 2007 10:35 am

Living in LA (Lower Alabama), I am well aware that there is NOTHING that cannot be fixed by duct tape...^

Djlawman Jul 21, 2007 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 8095299)
Living in LA (Lower Alabama), I am well aware that there is NOTHING that cannot be fixed by duct tape...^

LMAO

purpleskiesfly Jul 21, 2007 10:55 am

(why do all the weirdos end up in DEN?).

Lack of O2 on the ground.

Purple
DEN based

KOStradivarius Jul 21, 2007 11:18 am

Originally Posted by dd992emo (Post 8095299)

Actually, you do need two tools in the toolbox. Duct tape and WD40.

If it's not moving and it should, use the WD40.
If it's moving and it shouldn't, use the tape.

peachfront Jul 21, 2007 12:01 pm

I think it would interfere with anyone doing a good job if someone was throwing drinks at them. Sounds like a fair call to me.