First Flights since Pre-9/11

Old Jul 18, 07, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

First Flights since Pre-9/11

I'll be taking my first major flight since pre-9/11 and I know that I need to get there early. My flight is listed as leaving at 3:15PM and I planned on getting there at noon.

What else should I realistically expect from security? I've got the liquid thing down, and I have some other liquids to go through (such as my contact solution) will they allow me my bottles of solution, do I need to declare it and how do you do that. Is there a special place or do I just need to say "Btw I have a huge thing of contact solution"
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Dominion View Post
What else should I realistically expect from security?
A lot more idiocy and hassle and no more security than pre 9/11.

Shoes come off, put liquids/gels that you're carrying on in a plastic bag, and they have to be less than 3.4 oz.

Theory goes that you tell them you have contact solution, but I've never done it.

Expect different responses at each airport too.

Good luck.

Super
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:28 pm

what airport are you flying out of and where are you going to?

Unless you're flying internationally, I'm not sure that you need to get there three hours early. It won't hurt, but you might be very bored if you make it through security and to the gate in only 20 min.
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying out of SDF (Louisville, KY) and flying to MUC (Munich, Germany)
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm flying out of SDF (Louisville, KY) and flying to MUC (Munich, Germany)
Paging Spiff to the white courtesy phone!
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Not sure if I should be afraid or REALLY afraid.
Old Jul 18, 07, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Just make sure your liquids fit in one-one quart bag......not two, not three.....ONE........ I got stuck behind a woman at security with FIVE bags. Yes they were all 3 ounces but she had FIVE bags. Security told her to pick one and toss the rest. She actually stood there in line and turned to me and other strangers and asked if we would each take one of her bags through security........elevator did not go all the way to the top on that one.

Last edited by Emeraldcity; Jul 19, 07 at 4:25 pm
Old Jul 18, 07, 10:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
I doubt you need to get there at Noon. Since you'll be connecting (most likely) just get there a couple of hours before the flight.
Old Jul 18, 07, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Yeah, how about say Captain Clearance Oveur white courtney phone! It would be best idea as you seen the movie Airplane I. She said "No, Not red one." he said "Oh!' and then he picked white courtney phone.
Old Jul 18, 07, 11:00 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
At least SDF has Bluegrass Brewing Co beer if you have three hours to kill. I miss BBC beer.

I have not been through SDF since pre 9/11, but three hours is probably a bit early.
Old Jul 19, 07, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
At least SDF has Bluegrass Brewing Co beer if you have three hours to kill. I miss BBC beer.

I have not been through SDF since pre 9/11, but three hours is probably a bit early.
YES! I was thinking about doing this to kill some time. I don't plan on getting drunk but sometimes alcohol hits me differently. If I try to board the aircraft drunk/tipsy will this present a problem or if they can smell beer on my breath?

I would imagine no problem would be present unless I was unruly, can't stand or walk straight, pissed.
Old Jul 19, 07, 9:05 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
YES! I was thinking about doing this to kill some time. I don't plan on getting drunk but sometimes alcohol hits me differently. If I try to board the aircraft drunk/tipsy will this present a problem or if they can smell beer on my breath?

I would imagine no problem would be present unless I was unruly, can't stand or walk straight, pissed.
Should not be a problem having a few as long as you are in control. I once stopped at BBC in St. Matthews for lunch and had one pint of their barleywine (13+% alcohol) before a 2:00 flight, plus one regular beer at the airport. I was out before wheels up. Best sleep I ever got on a plane, but I already had a hangover 90 minutes later landing in DTW.
Old Jul 19, 07, 9:39 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC

There is a Federal Aviation Regulation (121.575) under which no-one who appears intoxicated is supposed to be allowed to board. The airlines routinely ignore it unless as you say, you are roaring drunk and incapable of standing. Otherwise the gate agents just want to get rid of you, and putting you on the plane is the best way of doing so.

Alcohol dehydrates you; not a good plan if you're about to spend 9 hours on an airplane.
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
There is a Federal Aviation Regulation (121.575) under which no-one who appears intoxicated is supposed to be allowed to board. The airlines routinely ignore it unless as you say, you are roaring drunk and incapable of standing. Otherwise the gate agents just want to get rid of you, and putting you on the plane is the best way of doing so.

Alcohol dehydrates you; not a good plan if you're about to spend 9 hours on an airplane.
Couple good bears at BBC then I'll be on the plane from SDF to PHL for a 3 hour hour layover then from PHL to MUC (8 hr) so I'll have time to rest/rehydrate between flights. I'm not saying I want to stop to get drunk, just have a couple beers to kill the time.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
If you haven't flown since pre 9/11, you might also not be aware that only ticketed passengers (or airport employees) are allowed through the security checkpoint. Thus, no friends/family to see you off/welcome you back. You probably already knew this, but...just saying.

Search this Thread