Purchase of water AFTER security check?

Old Jul 18, 07, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Purchase of water AFTER security check?

I am getting ready to fly out of FRA in a few weeks. I need to have water with me and am told that the little cups of water presented to PAX is not much more than a swallow. I seem to remember the ban being lifted on water purchased within the terminal after one checks through security. Is this fact? And is so, do the FA's mind that you bring your own bottled water on board these days?

What about the purchase of liquor at duty free shops? Can this, too, be brought on board?
Old Jul 18, 07, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie View Post
I am getting ready to fly out of FRA in a few weeks. I need to have water with me and am told that the little cups of water presented to PAX is not much more than a swallow. I seem to remember the ban being lifted on water purchased within the terminal after one checks through security. Is this fact? And is so, do the FA's mind that you bring your own bottled water on board these days?

What about the purchase of liquor at duty free shops? Can this, too, be brought on board?

Yes, there are shops after going through "security" at FRA to get water and the Duty Free.

FAs don't care (the ones I speak to think the liquid rule is dumb).

One note on the duty free. If you're going on to the US from FRA, you'll need to put your duty free liquor in your checked bag after clearing Customs.
Old Jul 18, 07, 2:06 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by LessO2 View Post
Yes, there are shops after going through "security" at FRA to get water and the Duty Free.

One note on the duty free. If you're going on to the US from FRA, you'll need to put your duty free liquor in your checked bag after clearing Customs.
+1 just to add I would not put liquor in luggage. People do it all the time & it gets busted many times.
When you buy liquor you do take the big chance when you have to recheck it so just take the above into consideration

Last edited by coachrowsey; Jul 18, 07 at 2:11 pm Reason: added last line
Old Jul 18, 07, 2:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat., WorldPerks, HH Gold, SPG Gold
The duty free in other countries wont tell you that you wont be allowed liquor as carry on once you clear immigration. If you are carrying a glass bottle, the chances that it will break are very high because at the airport you will practically dump it in your checked baggage. So make sure it has adequate packaging.

No problems with the water bought at the airport.
Old Jul 18, 07, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

When was the last time you flew out of FRA?

I am not disputing what you wrote (as I have no idea if it is correct or not) but U.S. airlines flying out of TLV changed the rules early this year.

In December, I flew TLV-ATL on Delta and nobody cared what liquids I took on board.

In February, I took the same flight but at check in there was a sign warning that no liquids bought in the duty free could be carried on board. Additionally, DL personnel went through all hand luggage before boarding looking for bottles.
Old Jul 18, 07, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
When was the last time you flew out of FRA?
One week ago today.
Old Jul 18, 07, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage

In December, I flew TLV-ATL on Delta and nobody cared what liquids I took on board.

In February, I took the same flight but at check in there was a sign warning that no liquids bought in the duty free could be carried on board. Additionally, DL personnel went through all hand luggage before boarding looking for bottles.
This is a point I am interested in. I will do a return flight out of PBI to CLT and on to FRA. Can I then purchase water in CLT and not have an FA or someone at the gate object?

I will fly into CLT and then on to PBI so I will keep in mind to repack the duty free if I choose to purchase anything.

What a world we live in when we have to worry about the need for a simple substance as water. Any recovery from jetlag requires water.
Old Jul 18, 07, 4:20 pm

Could this potentially be a specific issue for TLV ? I have flown DL several times TATL between different cities in Europe and the US this spring and summer and never ever was there an issue in bringing water on board
Old Jul 18, 07, 4:24 pm

Be careful where you buy liquids in FRA - after the general security check there is a secondary, additional security screening specifically for flights to the US as well as UK and Switzerland (gates B30-33 for the latter). If you bought liquids after the general security screening but before the second you will most likley have to leave these liquids with the screeners ...
Old Jul 18, 07, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
Two days ago, I was not allowed to bring bottles of water onto the airplane, even though they were purchased inside security. This was in HKG. They had security on the jetbridge, after having handed over boarding passes immediately prior to the doorway. No metal detectors, just folding tables and security personnel rummaging through my stuff. Took out my bottles of water and pitched them.

The website for the airport specifically says that liquids purchased after security are OK to take on the plane (here), so I'm not even sure how I would have known about this. I am currently a pregnant person, and I was really peeved about not having the water I wanted during my 13 hour flight. I was in J so they took care of me with plenty of water, happily.

My flight was direct to the USA, so maybe this is some odd interpretation of the liquid rules we're all familiar with from travel within the US.
Old Jul 18, 07, 7:13 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie View Post
This is a point I am interested in. I will do a return flight out of PBI to CLT and on to FRA. Can I then purchase water in CLT and not have an FA or someone at the gate object?

I will fly into CLT and then on to PBI so I will keep in mind to repack the duty free if I choose to purchase anything.

What a world we live in when we have to worry about the need for a simple substance as water. Any recovery from jetlag requires water.
Yes, you may purchase the water in CLT.
Old Jul 18, 07, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
Why pay the exorbitant price for water after security? I bring an empty bottle and fill it up after the checkpoint. I've never had a problem getting an empty bottle past the TSA or a full bottle on the plane.
Old Jul 18, 07, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by noturbulence View Post
Could this potentially be a specific issue for TLV ? I have flown DL several times TATL between different cities in Europe and the US this spring and summer and never ever was there an issue in bringing water on board
It's the same right now at SVO for flights to the US. No liquids are allowed.
Old Jul 18, 07, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(the ones I speak to think the liquid rule is dumb).
Extremely dumb!
Old Jul 19, 07, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Could this potentially be a specific issue for TLV ?
Be careful where you buy liquids in FRA - after the general security check there is a secondary, additional security screening specifically for flights to the US as well as UK and Switzerland (gates B30-33 for the latter).
Originally Posted by michellemck99 View Post
Two days ago, I was not allowed to bring bottles of water onto the airplane, even though they were purchased inside security. This was in HKG.
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
It's the same right now at SVO for flights to the US. No liquids are allowed.
I am going to take a guess here, but perhaps those who flew FRA, HKG, and SVO can either prove or disprove my theory.

TLV does not care a whit as to whether you bring liquids on board or not. Security in Israel is based on "look for the terrorist, not for the weapon". You are carefully interviewed before you get to the hand luggage screening.

Yes, your hand luggage is x-rayed for obvious weapons (guns, bombs, large knives, etc) but they do not make you take off your shoes, give a crap about cigarette lighters, or get overly concerned about liquids. (In the past I have taken a bottle of wine with me. It was spotted, I was asked what it was, and when I replied they said it was okay.)

The point is that I could easily bring liquids purchased before Security on the flight -- and perhaps that is why Delta won't even permit those bought at the Duty Free.

Is this true at the other airports mentioned?

Search this Thread