Search

OMG! It's a Bomb!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Unhappy OMG! It's a Bomb!

Damon Burke wanted to use the recharger he built from a Minty Boost kit to juice up his iPod so he could watch movies on a long flight, but the TSA was afraid it was a bomb designed to blow up the homeland.

I tell him it is a battery charger for my iPod. He asks if I made it myself, to which I reply that I purchased a kit over the internet. He says that he can't let me on the plane with it. I explain to him that I have flown with it 4-6 times a month for a year now and nobody has questioned it. He says, "Not on my watch and not with my people."

He swabs the device and runs it through the calorimeter. Again, no residue.

I ask why it can't be taken on the plane and he said, "Because it looks like an IED."
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/07/17...like_the_.html

Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:59 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
If it looks like a duck ...............................................
Old Jul 17, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Morons. Wanna bet he ends up on a no-fly list? I would have looked at the moron TSA agent that asked for my cellphone and said "I'm calling my lawyer". Then see what happened.

He should have asked for the PAPD himself, early on.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
This is the professionalism that Comrade Daschle hung around our necks?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I had an almost similar situation at the E concourse security at MKE. I fly with a 4 AA battery device to charge my cell phone. It is 4 batteries and a cable. After 5 minutes of examining it they determined that my laptop case needed further screening. I tried to explain what it was and showed them how it works - they looked at it and was amazed at how it worked. That finally convinced them that it was innocuous enough to let me know.

In reality, couldnt anyone use 4 AA batteries, scotch tape, and a plug to make the same device on the other side of security? All those items are easily accessible on the other side of security. Unless they find actual explosives then it should be good.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gldwebs
I had an almost similar situation at the E concourse security at MKE. I fly with a 4 AA battery device to charge my cell phone. It is 4 batteries and a cable. After 5 minutes of examining it they determined that my laptop case needed further screening. I tried to explain what it was and showed them how it works - they looked at it and was amazed at how it worked. That finally convinced them that it was innocuous enough to let me know.

In reality, couldnt anyone use 4 AA batteries, scotch tape, and a plug to make the same device on the other side of security? All those items are easily accessible on the other side of security. Unless they find actual explosives then it should be good.
There you go using common sense again! I guess you just don't get it, do you???
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:16 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
and they think they can detect a real bomb

a five year old kid can tell you better.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OMG! It's another clueless TSA screener!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Absolutely Asinine.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by gldwebs

Sure. No different to the liquid idiocy.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 8:33 pm

Please, use your head, don't bring through the checkpoint some rigged device with wires, batteries, etc. The STSO was well within his or her right to seize the device (realistic IED replica) and not allow it through.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCA TSO
Please, use your head, don't bring through the checkpoint some rigged device with wires, batteries, etc. The STSO was well within his or her right to seize the device (realistic IED replica) and not allow it through.
Ladies and Gentlemen, Exhibit A in what's wrong with airport/aircraft security.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Ladies and Gentlemen, Exhibit A in what's wrong with airport/aircraft security.
AMEN!

Yet another example of 'catching' stuff that doesn't matter while missing the stuff that does. Next they'll decide that batteries of any kind aren't allowed on board. Guess that'll ensure that all portable electronic devices are off on takeoff.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What in the name of all that's holy is a 'realistic IED replica'?

My MP3 player is a device, with batteries and cables.
My electric shaver is a device, with batteries and cables.
My laptop is a device, with batteries and cables.
My cellphone is a device, with batteries and cables.

According to every published test, the screeners have been unable to identify a gun, bomb or components thereof - so I guess I'm not surprised they will think an Ipod is an IED, given how TSA management has determined that a bottle of water is a potential bomb.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by DCA TSO
No -- the device was not an "IED replica." The passenger demonstrated that it was not. You could call anything an "IED replica" if you wanted to. What good is taking the batteries going to do after they'd swabbed and X-rayed them? They clearly were no threat or the passenger would have been arrested. Besides, the airport shops sell batteries. Was the confiscation just to make the TSA folks feel that they took somethung so they only looked like partial idiots instead of complete idiots? IMHO the PA cops did pretty well on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.