Breaking News: Terminal Dump at MIA

Old Jul 16, 07, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Breaking News: Terminal Dump at MIA

Just got wind of yet ANOTHER terminal dump...news is unfolding.

Now I know we're talking about MIA - so all the terminals are 'dumps'

Apparently a screener at Concourse F decided that an urn containing human remains appeared to be a bomb and the terminal was evacuated for two hours.

I believe the incident is now over and operations are back to normal.

Besides the somewhat humorous imagery which appears to be the first time a TSA screener identified an object which is actually shaped somewhat like one of those cartoon bombs (maybe it had ACME stenciled on the side?), and the pun-nish connection between 'MIA' and 'dump', it's yet another situation where a screener could have just asked the customer if they had something 'orb' shaped in their luggage and what it might be - hence avoiding the dump in the first place....although one can easily avoid the dump of MIA by flying FLL instead
Old Jul 16, 07, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just more idiocy:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3060674.shtml
Old Jul 16, 07, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
“Once the bomb squad came out, they were able to look at the package and find an identification name on the package and they contacted the family,” Maura said.
So I guess we need the brains from the bomb squad to figure out this simple step - the TSA staff lack the intelligence and common sense to do this
Old Jul 16, 07, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Maybe the screener thought (s)he would get a commendation for noticing
a potential bomb.
Old Jul 16, 07, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach View Post
Maybe the screener thought (s)he would get a commendation for noticing
a potential bomb.
Or better yet, a foot in the rear out the door!
Old Jul 16, 07, 3:46 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Stupid is as stupid does
Old Jul 16, 07, 4:13 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
...it's yet another situation where a screener could have just asked the customer if they had something 'orb' shaped in their luggage and what it might be - hence avoiding the dump in the first place....although one can easily avoid the dump of MIA by flying FLL instead
The few times I've had my carryon pulled for hand inspection, I try to be as helpful as possible and ask what it is they saw on the X-ray and perhaps I could speed the process along. I am met with either a stone cold stare or a pitiful excuse of "They don't tell us what they see . . . they just call for an inspection."

Apparently efficiency isn't one of TSA's goals.
Old Jul 16, 07, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
Stupid is as stupid does
Yeah, it was stupid move from TSA was evacuated all terminal. It wasn't doing well in MIA. I think considerable will fired TSA employees for what did as security breach at airport. It doesn't understand reason why evacuated from UA ticket counter. It was very earlier morning in Florida while I was sleep but, I didn't even know what happened in MIA today.
Old Jul 16, 07, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
from this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8066521 and according to theses links:http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/171861.html & http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1184603158.html
it was...........are you ready.............wait for it..............a dead person's ashes. morons, just bloody morons

now this is the part i like the best:
"Our officers are highly trained to look for what we call IEDs, or improvised explosive devices,'' said Sari Koshetz, a TSA spokeswoman. A combination of items in the bag looked suspicious."
it was ashes and please no disrespect meant at all but what in god's good name makes basaically a container of dirt look suspicious. again, morons, just bloody morons.
Old Jul 16, 07, 11:40 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
from this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8066521 and according to theses links:http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/171861.html & http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1184603158.html
it was...........are you ready.............wait for it..............a dead person's ashes. morons, just bloody morons

now this is the part i like the best:
"Our officers are highly trained to look for what we call IEDs, or improvised explosive devices,'' said Sari Koshetz, a TSA spokeswoman. A combination of items in the bag looked suspicious."
it was ashes and please no disrespect meant at all but what in god's good name makes basaically a container of dirt look suspicious. again, morons, just bloody morons.
I wonder if he was cremated with his shoes on and the terminal dump was called for when the dearly departed refused to take off his shoes...

--PP
Old Jul 17, 07, 12:11 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Or better yet, a foot in the rear out the door!

It's for this reason that we shipped the cremains of FIL to a friend's house via registered mail. USPS is the only shipper that will knowingly ship cremains.
Old Jul 17, 07, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by VideoPaul View Post
I wonder if he was cremated with his shoes on and the terminal dump was called for when the dearly departed refused to take off his shoes...

--PP
hee, hee-good one VP.
Old Jul 17, 07, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Thanks, I just read it all entire information from news last night. I didn't even know that what happened in MIA yesterday early morning. I will have read a review about TSA employees wasn't doing well. Do you think TSA have no evidence the ashes.
Old Jul 17, 07, 7:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
"It was a collection of items that, in total, raised our officers' suspicions to a level of contacting the Miami-Dade (County police) bomb squad," White said.
Nimrod!
Hundreds of passengers milled around on the median outside Terminal F with their luggage from about 5:45 a.m. until police gave the all-clear around 7:30 a.m.
That time of the day would indicate a massive bank of flights held up for not simply an 1 hour and 45 minutes longer, but for far longer. A truly incalculable cost of lost productivity. Talk about Thousands Standing Around.

Absolutely Asinine™.
Old Jul 17, 07, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by essxjay View Post
That time of the day would indicate a massive bank of flights held up for not simply an 1 hour and 45 minutes longer, but for far longer. A truly incalculable cost of lost productivity. Talk about Thousands Standing Around.
"You will be ASSimilated. All will stand around. Resistance is futile."

Search this Thread