Rumor: PDX premium lane might be going away

Old Jul 15, 07, 2:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.44MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.53MM)
Posts: 1,088
Rumor: PDX premium lane might be going away

I've gone thru there twice in the last week (on the Alaska side) and was told by the horizon employee checking Id that:
1. TSA has taken over id screening on the 'public' lanes - visually confirmed
2. she believes that TSA will do the same for the premium lane but make it public, i.e. no more premium lane

This info came from the same person each time and is, as far as I know, only speculation but wanted to put it out for comment.

Last edited by CVO 1K 2 Million; Jul 15, 07 at 3:08 pm
CVO 1K 2 Million is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 4:16 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TUS/PDX
Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Posts: 5,682
Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million View Post
I've gone thru there twice in the last week (on the Alaska side) and was told by the horizon employee checking Id that:
1. TSA has taken over id screening on the 'public' lanes - visually confirmed
2. she believes that TSA will do the same for the premium lane but make it public, i.e. no more premium lane

This info came from the same person each time and is, as far as I know, only speculation but wanted to put it out for comment.
That sucks. Although the last time I used it, it took the same amount of time as the other line, since the TSA goof felt the need to take a break, then walk through the metal detector a few times, setting it off each time.

Do they now require ID to be out of the holder to "inspect" it? I remember when PHX brought the TSA goofs to look at ID, I was told that mine needed to be out of my wallet to make sure it wasn't fake.
tusphotog is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 4:45 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.44MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.53MM)
Posts: 1,088
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
That sucks. Although the last time I used it, it took the same amount of time as the other line, since the TSA goof felt the need to take a break, then walk through the metal detector a few times, setting it off each time.
That's true sometimes but when the lines are long, the premium line can't be beat

Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
Do they now require ID to be out of the holder to "inspect" it? I remember when PHX brought the TSA goofs to look at ID, I was told that mine needed to be out of my wallet to make sure it wasn't fake.
Can't help you there...I always have my Id out.
CVO 1K 2 Million is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 4:49 pm
  #4  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: PDX
Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Posts: 15,973
Bah!

Anyone have info on the "United" side of the airport, e.g. D-E concourses?

Bueller??
essxjay is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 4:58 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,037
TSA doesn't have anything to do with the lines that lead up to the checkpoints (except for the ID charade).

I think you guys should contact PDX management and ask them. If they say the TSA is forcing them to do that, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to throw them under the bus for reasoning.
LessO2 is offline  
Old Jul 15, 07, 9:19 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: FLL/LAX/YYZ/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 33,687
Agree with Less02 - the airport owns the line and controls who goes in which line or how many lines there are. The TSA has absolutely no say about how passengers are presented to their checkpoint.

If you're concerned about the premium line, I suggest everyone who frequents PDX and who qualifies for the premium line bombard PDX management with letters and phone calls to preserve the line - making sure they understand that removal of the line might cost them business.

Mary Maxwell is the best person to contact for now, as she is acting director since the departure of Suzanne Miller. Mary can be reached at the Port of Portland's offices.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Jul 16, 07, 6:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Louisville, KY, US
Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Posts: 6,106
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Agree with Less02 - the airport owns the line and controls who goes in which line or how many lines there are. The TSA has absolutely no say about how passengers are presented to their checkpoint.

If you're concerned about the premium line, I suggest everyone who frequents PDX and who qualifies for the premium line bombard PDX management with letters and phone calls to preserve the line - making sure they understand that removal of the line might cost them business.

Mary Maxwell is the best person to contact for now, as she is acting director since the departure of Suzanne Miller. Mary can be reached at the Port of Portland's offices.
Don't the airlines (as tenants) play a role as well? I know here at SDF because there is only one central checkpoint, WN has been fighting against it. As such, we have no "elite" lane.

The elite line over on the D-E side has saved me considerable time and I'd really hate to see that go away.
SDF_Traveler is offline  
Old Jul 16, 07, 8:44 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: FLL/LAX/YYZ/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 33,687
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler View Post
Don't the airlines (as tenants) play a role as well? I know here at SDF because there is only one central checkpoint, WN has been fighting against it. As such, we have no "elite" lane.

The elite line over on the D-E side has saved me considerable time and I'd really hate to see that go away.
Yes they do, but if the terminal space is shared, getting them involved can create just the problem you described in SDF. It's better if the airport sees it as a product enhancement that retains business travelers - and the absence of such a lane may affect the willingness of frequent flyers to use the airport.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Jul 16, 07, 10:42 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.44MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.53MM)
Posts: 1,088
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Agree with Less02 - the airport owns the line and controls who goes in which line or how many lines there are. The TSA has absolutely no say about how passengers are presented to their checkpoint.
<snip>
I also agree but I saw something I've never seen at any airport those two days.
TSA checking Id's at the public line and a Horizon employee at the premium line..
Seems strange.
CVO 1K 2 Million is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread