FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Rumor: PDX premium lane might be going away (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/714434-rumor-pdx-premium-lane-might-going-away.html)

CVO 1K 2 Million Jul 15, 2007 1:45 pm

Rumor: PDX premium lane might be going away

I've gone thru there twice in the last week (on the Alaska side) and was told by the horizon employee checking Id that:
1. TSA has taken over id screening on the 'public' lanes - visually confirmed
2. she believes that TSA will do the same for the premium lane but make it public, i.e. no more premium lane

This info came from the same person each time and is, as far as I know, only speculation but wanted to put it out for comment.

tusphotog Jul 15, 2007 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million (Post 8060540)
I've gone thru there twice in the last week (on the Alaska side) and was told by the horizon employee checking Id that:
1. TSA has taken over id screening on the 'public' lanes - visually confirmed
2. she believes that TSA will do the same for the premium lane but make it public, i.e. no more premium lane

This info came from the same person each time and is, as far as I know, only speculation but wanted to put it out for comment.

That sucks. Although the last time I used it, it took the same amount of time as the other line, since the TSA goof felt the need to take a break, then walk through the metal detector a few times, setting it off each time.

Do they now require ID to be out of the holder to "inspect" it? I remember when PHX brought the TSA goofs to look at ID, I was told that mine needed to be out of my wallet to make sure it wasn't fake.

CVO 1K 2 Million Jul 15, 2007 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 8060923)
That sucks. Although the last time I used it, it took the same amount of time as the other line, since the TSA goof felt the need to take a break, then walk through the metal detector a few times, setting it off each time.

That's true sometimes but when the lines are long, the premium line can't be beat

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 8060923)
Do they now require ID to be out of the holder to "inspect" it? I remember when PHX brought the TSA goofs to look at ID, I was told that mine needed to be out of my wallet to make sure it wasn't fake.

Can't help you there...I always have my Id out.

essxjay Jul 15, 2007 3:49 pm

Bah!

Anyone have info on the "United" side of the airport, e.g. D-E concourses?

Bueller??

LessO2 Jul 15, 2007 3:58 pm

TSA doesn't have anything to do with the lines that lead up to the checkpoints (except for the ID charade).

I think you guys should contact PDX management and ask them. If they say the TSA is forcing them to do that, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to throw them under the bus for reasoning.

bocastephen Jul 15, 2007 8:19 pm

Agree with Less02 - the airport owns the line and controls who goes in which line or how many lines there are. The TSA has absolutely no say about how passengers are presented to their checkpoint.

If you're concerned about the premium line, I suggest everyone who frequents PDX and who qualifies for the premium line bombard PDX management with letters and phone calls to preserve the line - making sure they understand that removal of the line might cost them business.

Mary Maxwell is the best person to contact for now, as she is acting director since the departure of Suzanne Miller. Mary can be reached at the Port of Portland's offices.

SDF_Traveler Jul 16, 2007 5:27 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 8062108)
Agree with Less02 - the airport owns the line and controls who goes in which line or how many lines there are. The TSA has absolutely no say about how passengers are presented to their checkpoint.

If you're concerned about the premium line, I suggest everyone who frequents PDX and who qualifies for the premium line bombard PDX management with letters and phone calls to preserve the line - making sure they understand that removal of the line might cost them business.

Mary Maxwell is the best person to contact for now, as she is acting director since the departure of Suzanne Miller. Mary can be reached at the Port of Portland's offices.

Don't the airlines (as tenants) play a role as well? I know here at SDF because there is only one central checkpoint, WN has been fighting against it. As such, we have no "elite" lane.

The elite line over on the D-E side has saved me considerable time and I'd really hate to see that go away.

bocastephen Jul 16, 2007 7:44 am

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler (Post 8063441)
Don't the airlines (as tenants) play a role as well? I know here at SDF because there is only one central checkpoint, WN has been fighting against it. As such, we have no "elite" lane.

The elite line over on the D-E side has saved me considerable time and I'd really hate to see that go away.

Yes they do, but if the terminal space is shared, getting them involved can create just the problem you described in SDF. It's better if the airport sees it as a product enhancement that retains business travelers - and the absence of such a lane may affect the willingness of frequent flyers to use the airport.

CVO 1K 2 Million Jul 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 8062108)
<snip>

I also agree but I saw something I've never seen at any airport those two days.
TSA checking Id's at the public line and a Horizon employee at the premium line..
Seems strange.