Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What happens if security at LHR causes you to miss your connection?

Old Jul 15, 07, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

I think this is the right place to post this, but then again I am not sure. Feel free to move, please.

I have a MUC-LHR-ORD flight coming up. I will arrive in LHR on a LH codeshare (i. e. trip booked under a UA flight number) at 10.15 and am scheduled for UA949, leaving at 12.40. I have never been to LHR before, but according to the stories I keep hearing security is everything but a breeze.
Now I am just wondering: What happens if I cannot make that connection due to excessive waiting in security lines, maybe added to a bit of a delay on the LH flight?
It is not my fault, but it isn't really the airline's flight either, I suppose.
I assume they would just rebook me on a later flight, but would it be out of goodwill or because it is their duty?
Also I don't suppose the elite security lane is available for a meager FTL?

I am more interested in how this would be handled than worried, though.

Cheers,

O.

Last edited by OliverS; Jul 15, 07 at 7:22 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 15, 07, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
You fly MUC-ORD via LHR?

Sorry, but you HAVE TO be a masochist. Hence, I guess this thread is actually about you actually hoping for really, really bad things to happen to you at LHR.

Your wish might be granted.
Old Jul 15, 07, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Yeah - for three reasons. A) Pricing on that particular date B) I wanted to see what all that moaning really was about and C) flying on a 777 for the first time.
Granted the last reason was the least important one and more of a justification. And yes, I do regret my choice by now.
Old Jul 15, 07, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by OliverS View Post
And yes, I do regret my choice by now.
I've heard stories about couples meeting, marrying and becoming grandparents while they were waiting in line at the FCC. So missing a connection should be the least of your worries.
Old Jul 15, 07, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flysurfer View Post
I've heard stories about couples meeting, marrying and becoming grandparents while they were waiting in line at the FCC. So missing a connection should be the least of your worries.
Well, that would be nothing to worry about - sounds like fun..

Last edited by OliverS; Jul 15, 07 at 8:23 am
Old Jul 15, 07, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, that would be nothing to worry about - sounds like fun..
See?
I knew you were a masochist.
Old Jul 15, 07, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
To answer the OP's question. You run to your airline and hope to get on another flight later the same day. If you are lucky you might get put on to another airline's flight (don't count on that). If your luck is poor you might have to spend the night at LHR and start over the next day.

To make things easier for you, go very easy on carry on stuff. A small carry on bag is to your advantage. Be polite and hope for the best.

I have to tell you that I am now avoiding most British airports for very good reason.
Old Jul 15, 07, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Would it be their liability to pay for the hotel if it comes to that?
How long would the LH flight have to be delayed to argue this delay being the cause to miss the onward flight?

I am mostly travelling with my notebook bag as sole carry-on item anyways that should not be a problem.
Old Jul 15, 07, 8:47 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
You've got enough time to make your connection so although you're likely to suffer a lot of waiting you're most likely to make your flight but it still won't be a pleasant experience.

Anyway update us on your experience after you take your flight and remember to never do this again
Old Jul 15, 07, 9:39 am

Programs: AA, DL Silver, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Would it be their liability to pay for the hotel if it comes to that?
How long would the LH flight have to be delayed to argue this delay being the cause to miss the onward flight?

I am mostly travelling with my notebook bag as sole carry-on item anyways that should not be a problem.
If the flights are not delayed, and you miss the flight due to the lines at the FCC, I don't think that LH is going to pay for your hotel room. Now, if their flight has mechanical issues, that might be a different story.

If you are flying out on the UA flight from LHR, that might be the last flight of the day on UA. If you are really worried, try to get out on an earlier MUC-LHR flight. Call the airline and tell them your concerns, and see if they will move you to an earlier flight that day.

If you are not eligible for Fast track at LHR, you are going to experience the full pain of the FCC, and there will be many people in the line in the same predicament that you are in. Heathrow is a mess, but at least you won't need to clear Immigrations or anything like that.
Old Jul 15, 07, 9:59 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
And that's about all you are permitted to take through FCC.

The Communists at LHR only allow 1 small carryon, not the 1+1 we are used to in every civilized place on the planet. The Liquid Idiocy is in full effect, the Shoe Carnival happens sometimes too.

If you miss your connection, your airline will probably help you out as best it can, as oldpenny16 suggests.

LHR is a disaster. Fingerprinting of domestic travelers at T5 begins soon. BAA and DfT can kiss my Kippie Bag if they think I'll transit through or even visit one of their Circles of Hell.
Old Jul 15, 07, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 View Post
To make things easier for you, go very easy on carry on stuff. A small carry on bag is to your advantage.
Yes, but don't forget to pack nevertheless some extra clothes and essentials in your carry-on in case you really end up being stranded overnight in a hotel room and do not have access to your baggage. Given your connection time and no bus transfer from T4 being involved, however, you should be fine with the layover time unless your MUC flight is delayed by an hour or more.
Old Jul 15, 07, 12:50 pm

A few weeks ago I got to LHR well ahead of the airline-recommended advance time for a very early morning flight, and it took so long to get through all the baggage, checkin, customs, and security lines that I would have missed the flight if they hadn't held it. I suspect (though nobody ever tells you anything) that since there were several people in my situation, who had checked their luggage and received boarding passes but couldn't thereafter make the boarding time at the gate, the airline knew what was happening and held the flight. But you can't count on this.

One thing I can tell you you can count on though: if getting selected for a secondary inspection at LHR means the extra time will likely make you miss your flight even though you got to the airport amply in advance, you can expect not a jot, tittle, shred, iota, crumb, or atom of sympathy, understanding, assistance, or advice from the studies in indifference which constitute the LHR security staff.

I'm thinking of starting an Internet business selling buttons, caps, and t-shirts reading LHR NO MORE!

Last edited by Timfid; Jul 15, 07 at 12:51 pm Reason: minor addition
Old Jul 15, 07, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
The Communists at LHR only allow 1 small carryon, not the 1+1 we are used to in every civilized place on the planet. The Liquid Idiocy is in full effect, the Shoe Carnival happens sometimes too.
Don't blame the Commies but the money-grabbing Capitalists who prefer not to pay high enough wages to recruit more security and prefer to invest in shops and shop staff rather than security and security screening centres.
Old Jul 15, 07, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Don't blame the Commies but the money-grabbing Capitalists who prefer not to pay high enough wages to recruit more security and prefer to invest in shops and shop staff rather than security and security screening centres.
The problem isn't insufficient staff.

If these idiotic liquids and shoe rules weren't in place, there would be plenty of resources, just has there always has been at BAA airports.

Because BAA and DfT have chosen to put these asinine, unnecessary restrictions in place, things appear to be short-staffed. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Search this Thread