Wiki Posts
Search

TSO screener arrested at PDX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
TSO screener arrested at PDX

A screener was arrested for allegedly stealing medication from a passenger's bag Friday.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....766e3eda.html

and

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn...d_accused.html

I wonder if the medication was in a freedom baggie...
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:58 am

Programs: AA CO DL
Originally Posted by tusphotog
A screener was arrested for allegedly stealing medication from a passenger's bag Friday.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....766e3eda.html

and

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn...d_accused.html

I wonder if the medication was in a freedom baggie...
hmmm...could we send the TSA agent to China...they seem to have found an expedient way to handle graft !!!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 1:04 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Arrested on a Fridea, no less. We sure no how to pick 'em here at PDX. Was wondering where all my Vicodin was going
Old Jul 15, 2007, 1:28 am

guilty until proven innocent!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by sinthetiq
If it works for her while he's monitoring the checkpoint, it should work for her now that the tables are turned!

Last edited by DL4EVR; Jul 15, 2007 at 2:09 am Reason: realized the subject in quesiton was actually a chick
Old Jul 15, 2007, 6:08 am
Suspended

The spokesperson said since May 1st, 2003, 170 TSA employees have been terminated for stealing from passengers at airports across the country. The spokesperson said that number represents less than 1/5th of 1% of the 98,656 security officers employed by the TSA.
Now that's as fine a bit of the use of a statistic as I've seen in quite a while.

The spokeshole must have meant the total number of screeners who have been employed by the TSA since May 1, 2003. That would indicate over a 100% turnover rate, would it not, since there are only about 45,000 screeners employed at any one time.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sinthetiq
The philosophy of the TSA regarding passengers - tit for tat.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
The bigger problem is that their math means about 200 employees have been terminated for stealing. Doesn't that number seem high for a job where the employees are screening for the bad guys? How could THEY let 200 thieves through into their club and be expected to block the other bad guys from getting to the planes.

Based on those rates, over 300 bad guys can get through a check point every day (about 1/5th a percent of daily travellers in the US) and be acceptable.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 8:45 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by gldwebs
The bigger problem is that their math means about 200 employees have been terminated for stealing. Doesn't that number seem high for a job where the employees are screening for the bad guys? How could THEY let 200 thieves through into their club and be expected to block the other bad guys from getting to the planes.

Based on those rates, over 300 bad guys can get through a check point every day (about 1/5th a percent of daily travellers in the US) and be acceptable.
Those are only the thieves who have been caught.

Seeing how good the TSA is at providing security, the number of uncaught thieves is probably astronomical.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Arrested on a Fridea, no less. We sure no how to pick 'em here at PDX. Was wondering where all my Vicodin was going
noticed that too, did ya? now, just wondering what her name would have been had she been born one day later? maybe....<pause.......wait for it>.........humpdae?
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
The spokeshole must have meant the total number of screeners who have been employed by the TSA since May 1, 2003. That would indicate over a 100% turnover rate, would it not, since there are only about 45,000 screeners employed at any one time.
I think it's actually 43,000, but your point is well taken. Let's look into that further:
Rounded off, that's 99,000 TSAers since May 1, 2003.
99,000-43,000 = 56,000 (TSAers that are gone)
50 months have gone by since 5/1/03
56,000/50 = 1,120 (turnover rate per month)
1,120/50 = 4.4% (turnover rate percentage)

Gleaned out of that:

Since May 1, 2003, the TSA has about a 54% turnover rate. Not good.

TSA has its tentacles at 465 airports. Statistically, each airport turns over 2.4 screeners a month. That's just numbers, since there are obviously far fewer screeners in Bozeman, MT than in Los Angeles.

That turnover rate was something "federalizing" was supposed to cure. Obviously, it hasn't.

Another point: I find it amazing how someone can come up with that kind of precise number of TSAers while in CYA-mode when the TSA is still yet to answer MKEBound's civil rights complaint.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
Those are only the thieves who have been caught.

Seeing how good the TSA is at providing security, the number of uncaught thieves is probably astronomical.
Yeah, TSA wasn't doing well. I'm glad that mean police caught the screeners was charges as theft by passenger's medications. Do you think TSA need get review all person do background check screening before they will hiring new worker at airport. I know last time what happened TSA was searching 1,208 person who gotten criminal background check and then, they fired some of TSA employees who gotten background check as criminal records. Do you think it is against the law about crimination can't come to work, am I right?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by airboss
hmmm...could we send the TSA agent to China...they seem to have found an expedient way to handle graft !!!
That ain't no joke!

Fairly effective specific deterrence....
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
Originally Posted by law dawg
That ain't no joke!

Fairly effective specific deterrence....
was joking, yes !!! but it also is a stand for those who are given the public trust....they are absolutley in need of the highest standard of conduct. ( politicians aside)....they cant help it !!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.