Homemade, Cheap and Dangerous

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2007, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Homemade, Cheap and Dangerous

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070401814.html
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"TATP wields about 85 percent of the explosive power of TNT and can be made in a kitchen or bathroom. A dime-size amount of the explosive can ignite a fireball the size of a basketball."

And one still needs time and temperature control to create TATP.

"In crystalline form, TATP looks like powdered sugar and is difficult to detect in airports; security officials need to examine an exposed surface with a swab kit or other tester to determine its presence."

See that Kippie? The word "x-ray" is copiously absent from the explosives detection method.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Having read the article, it raises some interesting points - one of which seems to refute our own government's assertions that TATP is a liquid explosive only found in the shampoo bottles and toothpaste tubes of dangerous passengers.

Since it can be carried in crystalline form, it can be smuggled virtually undetectable. So remind me why we're confiscating shampoo and hair gel?

If explosives can be made from such common sources, it sounds to me like the general public needs to start accepting that there is some risk involved with life in a free country, stiffen up and deal with it. There is no way to plug all the holes in this block of swiss cheese, only mitigate risk.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:30 pm

Keinan said he often carries a small sample of the volatile compound in his carry-on luggage when he flies -- just to test airport security. "Nobody ever stops me," he said.
I am absolutely shocked that he has been getting away with this.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm not sure whether to post this here or the 'guess what I found' thread, but I wanted to reference a post I made a couple months back regarding a machine available TODAY for a very reasonable price that can scan for and detect the presence of explosive compounds and other chemicals (including TATP) from substances inside closed containers - including things like water bottles, shampoo bottles, toothpaste tubes, etc. etc.

As long as the scanner can see it, it can scan the contents inside the containers.

Why isn't this technology part of a holistic scanning system which combines explosives detection and x-ray analysis?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm not sure whether to post this here or the 'guess what I found' thread, but I wanted to reference a post I made a couple months back regarding a machine available TODAY for a very reasonable price that can scan for and detect the presence of explosive compounds and other chemicals (including TATP) from substances inside closed containers - including things like water bottles, shampoo bottles, toothpaste tubes, etc. etc.

As long as the scanner can see it, it can scan the contents inside the containers.

Why isn't this technology part of a holistic scanning system which combines explosives detection and x-ray analysis?
Good question. Even that FAM someone posted about a month or so ago was asking for this.......
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I the only one around here old enough to remember the Anarchist Cookbook?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by birdstrike
No, you're not the only one.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Nope. I remember it. I also remember it was chock full of bomb-making advice that was atrocious.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by law dawg
Nope. I remember it. I also remember it was chock full of bomb-making advice that was atrocious.
That is true. @:-) In my high school library there were also chemical formularies that contained info on making everything from toothpaste to TNT. ^
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by bocastephen

This technology is not part of a holistic scanning system because such a system would not require large numbers of government screeners, the shoe and water carnival, and other highly visible measures to impress Ma and Pa Kettle. Also, technology does not vote, in contrast to government employees. Remember, Kabuki security and workfare are the main features of TSA, not actual effective security.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
That is true. @:-) In my high school library there were also chemical formularies that contained info on making everything from toothpaste to TNT. ^
Anyone who has taken Organic Chemistry could probably synthesize explosives. The important criterion for aviation security should not be a search only for things. Virtually any object can be used as a weapon. A person bent on destruction and terrorism can use almost anything to injure people. A #2 pencil is not homemade, but it is cheap and dangerous in the hands of an evildoer.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Last I saw, though, Wikipedia's WikiBooks have had synthesis instructions of various explosives which were fairly accurate (for the ones I've any experience with, anyway--I'd never touch TATP, so I can't verify their instructions for it).

My high school chemistry teacher did have a huge volume of various synthesises, and IIRC, it did include several explosives and even a few organophosphate compounds.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, the point is there is nothing new here, except to DHS who apparently has no one in its employ who had even a modicum of curiosity as a child.

Consequently they exhibit a childlike surprise when they find this information being distributed.

Comic books(!), for gods sake, used to contain ads for firework making supplies.

The really clever kids would also order chick-u-bators to ensure a constant supply of nitrates.

My annual corporate export control class always reminds me that a #2 pencil can be a munition as defined by ITAR.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Required summer reading in college, here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.