Guess what I found on my plane today

Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by N830MH
No kidding at all. It is not an threat. When you seen the boxcutter then you need to do reports with your F/A. I think you should contract with TSA need searching inside the aircraft. They need swapping out from airplanes. I think Local authority need searching inside the aircraft. I think UA fault did left over by boxcutter onboard entire aircraft. It shouldn't never do that again when the maintenance man was not allowed bring any kind of weapons. It is their own responsibility while they are working inside the aircraft.
Geez, I guess you're both serious

When I see a boxcutter, I see a tool. When I see a dangerous individual holding a box cutter, then I see a problem. Getting the TSA involved will only delay the flight, put extensive administrative burdens on everyone, potentially get one placed on a watch list and just do no good at all. If contacting the crew or TSA with a find like that only resulted in a quick 'thanks' and disposal of the item without any other panic stricken reactions, then I might actually be inclined to turn it over to someone - but not under present conditions, no way.

If I saw a boxcutter or knife onboard, what would I do? If it was in my seat pocket, I would ignore it - no one is going to get their hands on it if I'm sitting there. If it's in an overhead or other place, I'm more likely to just carefully walk it into the lavatory sight unseen and drop it into the garbage - calling attention to it is just going make problems for everyone. If I can't get it into the trash without being seen, I would put my bag over it, ignore it and just keep its existence in mind in case I see someone start rummaging through that overhead in flight - which would be the legitimate key indicator that something is up and it's time to call attention to the situation. After the flight, I can walk it off and drop it in the trash on the way out. Voila - problem solved.

Boxcutters are just not really legitimate threats anymore - if someone walks up to a crew member holding a boxcutter or small knife, they're more likely than not going to end up sprawled on the floor. I am much more concerned about someone (using insider access) storing a gun or explosive device in a hidden place than I am a small cutting instrument.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I know this may sound like a selfish answer, but given the over-reaction that is likely to occur, I would probably not report something like this just because of the possibility of extensive delays and/or interrogation of passengers by buffoons trying to get the big catch.

Before the current madness, I probably would tell the F/A. Now...I don't think I would

(Obviously, if I find a piece of a gun or a ticking package, I wouldn't ignore it.)
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:12 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If you see a box cutter, knife, or other tool, put it in your pocket and take it home, or mail it to yourself if you are not going home.

A box cutter or knife is not a credible threat to the aircraft. Do not give the TSA an additional opportunity to act stupidly. They do so just fine on their own.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:26 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by bocastephen
When I see a boxcutter, I see a tool. When I see a dangerous individual holding a box cutter, then I see a problem.
If it were me I would have been grateful it did not create a big deal on the airplane.
Just for discussion purposes. I believe a box cutter has been established (by someone, for some reason) as a weapon. What if the maintenance worker planted the box cutter in cahoots with a dangerous person? If such a thing were possible, not reporting it allows the maintenance worker (aka accomplice) to make a second attempt.
I bet the stewardess or pilot reported it and the maintenance worker with the missing tool was found and checked out
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
A box cutter or knife is not a credible threat to the aircraft. Do not give the TSA an additional opportunity to act stupidly. They do so just fine on their own.
Knives aren't a credible threat? Give me a knife and access to the flight deck and I bet you'd change your mind in a hurry.

Now try and tell me there is no access to the flight deck......
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by law dawg
Knives aren't a credible threat? Give me a knife and access to the flight deck and I bet you'd change your mind in a hurry.

Knife AND access to flight deck... extremely unlikely. It's a waste of time to try to prevent such improbable scenarios. Why not spend a billion dollars developing a contingency plan if someone tries to use a beverage cart to hijack a plane? Or a broken wine glass?

Last edited by Spiff; Jul 12, 2007 at 9:40 am
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

Knives fly on planes every day with meal service in F. Yet a plane hasn't been brought down by one.

Things that make you goo Hmmmm.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Knife AND access to flight deck... extremely unlikely. It's a waste of time to try to prevent such improbable scenarios.
On the morning of September 11 dangerous men did gain access to a flight deck. As a result I watched from Brooklyn Heights Promenade one of the two planes hit twin Towers and watched them both fall. Very real scenario to NY'ers

I believe the point some here are making is that had the OP story happened a few months after 9/11 it would have been handled different.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/09/2...ion.terrorism/
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clincher
On the morning of September 11 dangerous men did gain access to a flight deck. As a result I watched from Brooklyn Heights Promenade one of the two planes hit twin Towers and watched them both fall. Very real scenario to NY'ers

I believe the point some here are making is that had the OP story happened a few months after 9/11 it would have been handled different.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/09/2...ion.terrorism/
Because the door was opened and they let them in.

Don't open the door no matter what in a situation. @:-)
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
That's the El Al pilot philosophy. They may land with a plane full of dead people, but it is going to be a controlled landing because the pilots will not open the door for hijackers.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:55 am

Knife AND access to flight deck... extremely unlikely. It's a waste of time to try to prevent such improbable scenarios. Why not spend a billion dollars developing a contingency plan if someone tries to use a beverage cart to hijack a plane? Or a broken wine glass?
Unlikely?

Have knife, wait for FA to open the door for the pilot's meals/bathroom break/take the tray back/drink re-fill/etc.

Mad dash to flight deck. Takes about three seconds max. Slam door on the way in. Stab. Repeat as necessary while pushing the pilot body into the yoke. Watch the plane go down, down, down.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:56 am

Knives fly on planes every day with meal service in F. Yet a plane hasn't been brought down by one.

Things that make you goo Hmmmm.
A butter knife is not a weapon.

If I had to choose from the metal gear they serve I'd take the fork, personally.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:57 am

Because the door was opened and they let them in.

You'd need some new and improved bladders then.

Especially on those pesky long international routes.....
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A butter knife is not a weapon.

If I had to choose from the metal gear they serve I'd take the fork, personally.
As much as one as a utility knife, and the utility knife could be as dangerous as a fork, or broken wine glass.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd need some new and improved bladders then.

Especially on those pesky long international routes.....
Since when do the doors stay open the WHOLE time while they're out? I think an FA with a beverage cart and a collapsable gate like on UA 757's are more than enough to mitigate the risk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.