FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Shaving cream in checked bag? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/713200-shaving-cream-checked-bag.html)

DiscoPapa Jul 11, 07 7:48 pm

Shaving cream in checked bag?

I'm checking my bag tomorrow (I know, I know, ha), and I'll be bringing some shaving gel along (Gilette Fuzion, for those interested). I have always brought my electric razor before. I'm no science whiz, but I'm a tad worried about the heat and air pressure doing some numbers on my compressed shaving gel can. I have visions of blue shaving gel blasted all over the inside of my bag. Should it be ok in a separate plastic bag, or am I getting worried about nothing? Thanks!

Dresden Jul 11, 07 7:50 pm

I have never had it happen. In years of two or three flights a week.

But if you really are worried, slip it into a zip loc bag . . . I have just never had a problem.

Redhead Jul 11, 07 8:08 pm

I've taken all kinds of things on in checked luggage, including sahving cream. No worries but the zip-loc bag can't hurt if you're nervous

UNITED959 Jul 11, 07 8:56 pm

Never had a can burst, but throwing it in some plastic is never a bad idea.

A little OT, but give Zirh shaving cream a try...amazing stuff! ^ :D

TravelingWookiee Jul 11, 07 9:54 pm

When I fly, I just assume that any liquid, gel, etc. could find its way outside of its container during the flight. As such, I'm putting in another voice of support for putting the shaving creme in a plastic bag - just in case.

That said, I've never had such problems during air travel.

cordelli Jul 11, 07 10:08 pm

Don't remember the brand, but only once has it been a problem. It was a gel, and it was the can that had the little rubber plug at the bottom, the plug popped. It was a brand new can, it's only hapended that once.

It was in a zip lock bag so it wasn't a mess. Well at least out of the bag.

I swithced to shaving soap a while ago, the brand I use actually comes in a travel size.

But you should be fine, just put any liquids in their own ziplocks just in case.

obscure2k Jul 11, 07 10:14 pm

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum.
Obscure2k
Travelbuzz Moderator

DiscoPapa Jul 11, 07 11:45 pm

Thanks all, zip-lock bag it is!

PhilaBurbTom Jul 12, 07 9:54 am

At altitude wouldn't the pressure be lower, thus less of a chance of expansion? Boyles Law?

exerda Jul 12, 07 10:17 am

I've had some shaving cream ooze out of the nozzle before whilst the can was in a checked bag, but never have had the worry that the can might burst or the like. It was in my shaving kit along with things like shampoo, etc., so there wasn't any real mess.

A baggie, as suggested by others, should be all you'd need to protect your clothes, etc. Of course, if the plastic plug in the bottom of the can came completely out, you might still end up with more of a mess than the bag can contain, but that's a fairly remote chance, I'd think.

Superguy Jul 12, 07 10:41 am

Originally Posted by PhilaBurbTom (Post 8044637)
At altitude wouldn't the pressure be lower, thus less of a chance of expansion? Boyles Law?

Possibly, but I think that would mainly be on the outside of the can. The can should be a sealed system. So, at least my understanding is that altitude shouldn't affect the pressure inside the can as it's solid. On something like a balloon, sure, it would actually expand. If pressure is still an issue, I would think that the pressure would actually increase inside the can because the outside pressure would be lower, making it more likely to explode.

It's been awhile since I've taken chemistry/physics, so I could be wrong.

I have had cans make a mess as well, so I'd just baggie it.

exerda Jul 12, 07 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 8044961)
It's been awhile since I've taken chemistry/physics, so I could be wrong.

Same here, but I would tend to think the opposite: that by lowering the outside air pressure, the differential between the two (inside the can and outside) would be thus increased, and likewise the stresses on the can and its fixtures.

RocketHokie Jul 12, 07 10:54 am

no worries here...

I use the solid shaving soap and a brush. It's slicker than any cream or gel. Then again, I still use the old twin-edge safety razor. I've done better with that than anything else on the market. I do wonder if a straight razor might not do better, but I never learned to use one.

Superguy Jul 12, 07 11:04 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 8045040)
Same here, but I would tend to think the opposite: that by lowering the outside air pressure, the differential between the two (inside the can and outside) would be thus increased, and likewise the stresses on the can and its fixtures.

Thought I took care of that in the second part of my post?

exerda Jul 12, 07 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 8045106)
Thought I took care of that in the second part of my post?

True, you did. I had misread your last sentence.