Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Chertoff: 'Gut feeling' that U.S. at high risk for attack

Old Jul 11, 07, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver (1MM), HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold

Now we're at "I have a feeling" something's going to happen. How about basing our actions and responses on credible intelligence?

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/1296150.html

U.S. counterterror officials are warning of an increased risk of an attack this summer, given al-Qaida's apparent interest in summertime strikes and increased al-Qaida training in the Afghan-Pakistani border region.

On Tuesday, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told the editorial board of The Chicago Tribune that he had a "gut feeling'' about a new period of increased risk.

He based his assessment on earlier patterns of terrorists in Europe and intelligence he would not disclose.

"Summertime seems to be appealing to them,'' Chertoff said in his discussion with the newspaper about terrorists. "We worry that they are rebuilding their activities.''

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 13, 07 at 10:09 pm Reason: Per FT copyright guidelines
Old Jul 11, 07, 8:33 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
My gut feeling is that Michael Chertoff is a Communist.
Old Jul 11, 07, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that like having a gut feeling that liquids show up on X-rays?
Old Jul 11, 07, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by NWstu View Post
The secretary also urged Americans to be watchful for suspicious activities in the wake of recent terror incidents in England and Scotland.
"I'd like to report a suspicious character who has infiltrated one of the nation's highest politically-appointed positions in government. He is actively working to undermime the principles of this country, destroy the American Constitution, and regularly commits acts of treason and terrorism. This pinko recently made some public remarks on June 29th, 2007 and remains in a position where he continues to do great harm to this country on a daily basis..."
Old Jul 11, 07, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Is that like having a gut feeling that liquids show up on X-rays?
Explosives don't, so it's gotta be good for detecting something... Water bottles with dense caps (relative to bottle density), laptop computers in bags, scissors,... the "big score" is just around the corner.
Old Jul 11, 07, 8:58 am

Programs: AA DL HH
Maybe if we had fewer soldiers deployed to Iraq, we could free some of them up to go kill those terrorists training in Afganistan...
Old Jul 11, 07, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I have a gut feeling that the government is actively playing on the public's concerns to continually ratchet up the fear factor...with Chertoff as lead torchbearer.

My tinfoil hat is beginning to wonder if the government staged the aborted attacks in the UK to keep everyone agitated...after all, public complacency would make their agenda much harder to enforce.
Old Jul 11, 07, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, DL Silver, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
There IS a real danger in continuously exploiting the 'boy who cried wolf' syndrome.

When our next unexpected attack does occur, it will be due to a person or group of people who manged to elude detection, not because of fear-mongering.

I think we would all be better served if he would keep his opinions to himself.
Old Jul 11, 07, 9:02 am

Programs: Starriott Plat, Avis Presidents Club, Whatever Airline is going where I want to go
Usually when my gut talks its because its hungry. Chertoff probably just needed to eat something.
Old Jul 11, 07, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dcstudent View Post
Usually when my gut talks its because its hungry. Chertoff probably just needed to eat something.
40 sleeping pills, perhaps?
Old Jul 11, 07, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
40 sleeping pills, perhaps?
too bad people aren't really carrying hazardous materials in their coke bottles when the TSA consumes what they confiscate.
Old Jul 11, 07, 9:19 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
And therein lies the problem with the Bush administration from the top down. They feel and believe things, but they really don't know anything.

In many cases, if not most, their ignorance is not only willful, but enforced -- actively thwarting those who really want to know. Some of them are simply coke-addled idiots with pre-senile dementia, like W. Some are cynical, if not outright evil, like Cheney. Chertoff may be an unfortunate blend of both, or perhaps simply one of the many sheeple who make up the 29% that still supports the administration.

Last edited by sinanju; Jul 11, 07 at 11:48 am
Old Jul 11, 07, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
And therein lies the problem with the Bush administration from the top down. They feel and believe things, but they really don't know anything.

In many cases, if not most, their ignorance is not only willful, but enforced -- actively thwarting those who really want to know.
Faith-based initiatives were bad enough. Faith-based government is a disaster.
Old Jul 11, 07, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Seems to me to be more of a CYA type of statement than anything else. If something does happen, he now has something to point to.
Old Jul 11, 07, 9:31 am

The White House is in panic mode now that some Republicans are wavering in their suport for the Iraq war.

Nothing gets the Republicans goose stepping like a real/imagined threat.

Search this Thread