Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Chertoff: 'Gut feeling' that U.S. at high risk for attack

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chertoff: 'Gut feeling' that U.S. at high risk for attack

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

The thing I fear the most is that Chertoff, as a cabinet member, is in the line of Presidential succession.
He's 18th in line. You might think about changing your handle to "WorriesWay2Much".
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by gilpin
He's 18th in line. You might think about changing your handle to "WorriesWay2Much".

That would really be a Tom Clancy-esque scenario
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gilpin
You're right. As the newest cabinet member, he's rock bottom on the totem pole. I've been in government over 30 years. I've played in exercises in the Continuity of Government program. At every State of the Union address, there is always one cabinet member who is at a secure location to preserve presidential succession in case somebody decides to blow up the Capitol and wipe out the government. #18 can become #1 very quickly in any number of scenarios.

He's 18th and you and I aren't even on the list.

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Jul 13, 2007 at 7:02 pm Reason: Cut & Paste Error!
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
At every State of the Union address, there is always one cabinet member who is at a secure location
The answer to that is to eliminate the state of the Union address as a speech delivered in person. It started out as a simple written report, but now it's turned into a phony photo-op which is collosal waste of time and resources. Of course I realize that can never happen because they all want the free TV advertizing (which is now the most important aspect of being an elected official).
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum LT Marriott Titanium Platinum LT, Hertz Presidents Circle, National EC,
But they're not idiots

What bothers me most is that many here seem to dismiss the DHS leadership as idiots. That's way too simplistic. They're dangerously smart. Maybe not smart in their job ( security) but smart in politics, psychology, and media manipulation.

Look how Chertoff managed to bump the Iraq progress report down the news priority list by having a "gut" feeling the week it was released. He burned a lot of media time and attention that could have gone to other less flattering things. Scarily brilliant - when you think about it.

Also we're rapidly approaching budget season in DC - and this only serves to help him justify more money (which directly equates to power). Again - pretty smart.

And as others have pointed out - he can now take credit if anything does happen - anywhere! All this while knowing that even if he's wrong ( and like any good "psychic" his gut is so vague as to be certain to be proven "right") nobody will remember or care, or worse they'll give him the credit!. Again - not a bad move.

As many here have said - the security theater is just that - but it is convincing the media and a large percentage of the voting public that "something is being done" but "more must be done". Again for his ends good psychology and manipulation.

So don't be so quick with the term "idiot". Being one myself sometimes, I don't want to be lumped in with that crowd

Last edited by hoshman; Jul 14, 2007 at 4:44 pm Reason: Spell check inoperative
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by theblakefish
This reminds me of a 1980's miniseries on TV that showed what the US would look like if the Russians and Cubans invaded our country. One of those lame 1980's TV actors from Dynasty (James Farrentino or someone like that) played the President of the new country, which I remember distinctly being called HOMELAND.
Are you sure you weren't thinking of Amerika which was a 1987 TV miniseries?
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoshman
What bothers me most is that many here seem to dismiss the DHS leadership as idiots. That's way too simplistic. They're dangerously smart. Maybe not smart in their job ( security) but smart in politics, psychology, and media manipulation.
You give them too much credit. They are politicians, first and last. But they are not "dangerously" smart. They just have access to power beyond what your average citizen can command. Chertoff demonstrated what an idiot he was with Katrina and lately sharing the status of his intestines, which I believe are simply loose with fear.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Hey, Kip, just curious? How'd that gut feeling end up working out for ya?

Mike
Old Dec 18, 2007, 7:57 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
I do not think that first gut feeling worked well for em.. may be its time
for him to come up with another gut feeling.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
I don't know about him, but I sure get indigestion every time Skeletor opens his mouth.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by cpx
Wait for it....

With the heavy holiday travel days coming up next week, I'm sure we'll get some reminder from DHS that we need to be vigilant.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:39 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cpx
I hope next time he has a "gut" feeling, it is leiomyosarcoma.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ari
I hope next time he has a "gut" feeling, it is leiomyosarcoma.
Personally, I'd like his "gut feeling" to be caused by a healthy dose of pink belly personally administered by every member of the flying public.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:52 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Personally, I'd like his "gut feeling" to be caused by a healthy dose of pink belly personally administered by every member of the flying public.
Use of shoes in the administration thereof would be a plus.

Comrade Chertoff, you are a lying, gutless piece of trash.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Dammit, Spiff...

It is a good fracking thing I am getting a new laptop soon...you just made me spit iced tea all over the keyboard...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.