Security Breach Shuts Down Oakland International

Old Jul 10, 07, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Security Breach Shuts Down Oakland International

OAKLAND -- A man running up an exit ramp in Terminal 1 at Oakland International Airport Tuesday forced officials to shutdown the entire facility, forcing passengers to remain on arriving flights and sending passengers awaiting flights streaming into the parking lots.

An airport spokesperson said the incident began at 9 a.m. and a search was underway in the building for the person.

There was no estimate when the airport would be re-opened.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/13654632/de...12170307102007
Old Jul 10, 07, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
These incidents seem to happen with some regularity. I would think that the cost of shutting down the entire terminal would be far greater than the cost of stationing a couple of really big guys at the exits, prepared to tackle and hold the wrong-way passengers. Nothing against some of the petite, middle-aged women I see at the exits, but this job really requires a >200 lbs. ex-football player.
Old Jul 10, 07, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
These incidents seem to happen with some regularity. I would think that the cost of shutting down the entire terminal would be far greater than the cost of stationing a couple of really big guys at the exits, prepared to tackle and hold the wrong-way passengers. Nothing against some of the petite, middle-aged women I see at the exits, but this job really requires a >200 lbs. ex-football player.
Should probably have two types. The ex-football player and a runner. That way if they somehow do get past the big guy, the fast one can at least keep an eye on them until help arrives. Should at least prevent a terminal dump.

Then again, TSA still might dump out of an Abundance of Caution®.
Old Jul 10, 07, 1:45 pm

This is getting more and more ridiculous....it seems like EVERYDAY we are hearing about another terminal dump. Only time before the terr'ists start using this to their advantage...
Old Jul 10, 07, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Five years later and their only response to this kind of situation is to dump the entire terminal? Come on, this is just beyond ridiculous.

I've been to Oakland - there are dozens of TSA people standing there. If someone is going to tell me that no one could access the guy or even follow him into the terminal, I am going to say that is just unacceptable.

Par for the course as far as the TSA is concerned - do the minimum effort and the airlines and customers be damned.
Old Jul 10, 07, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Should probably have two types. The ex-football player and a runner. ...
Okay, how about 1) an ex-lineman and 2) an ex-wideout or defensive back. You can get a two-fer with a lot of tight ends.
Old Jul 10, 07, 2:03 pm

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
OAKLAND sending passengers awaiting flights streaming into the parking lots.
Al Kyder could not pay TSA to cooperate better. "Yo, TSA Comrades, since you make it so hard for us to get our car bomb into the terminal building, could you help us out a little and move all those pax outside over next to our parked Ryder truck? We really appreciate it. Thanks." Beyond dumb does not begin to describe Kips Keystone Kops.
Old Jul 10, 07, 2:09 pm

There's going to be hell to pay if anyone misses the All*Star Game over this.
Old Jul 10, 07, 2:15 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
There is no smoking allowed in FCO, and having about a two hour connection between flights a couple of years ago, I went outside for a cigarette. Naturally, I took the exit route.

While standing outside I got into a conversation with two of the local Security people who were on break. When we finished with our cigarettes, I asked them where I had to go in order to pass through Security to be allowed back to airside.

They told me to go with them and together we all walked back through the exit lane -- completely bypassing the x-rays and metal detectors.
Old Jul 10, 07, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thumbs down 3rd breach at oak in past 6 months

efficiency at its best......way to go oak!

Jan 5, 2007 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643790

feb 15, 2007: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660922
Old Jul 10, 07, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Law enforcement officials with bomb sniffing dogs unsuccessfully scoured the terminals searching for the intruder. The individual being sought was not found.

Long lines of people formed outside the airport as passengers waited for screening to resume. As of 10:45 a.m., security checkpoints had reopened and passengers were being rescreened.
http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_191135121.html
Old Jul 10, 07, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Law enforcement officials with bomb sniffing dogs unsuccessfully scoured the terminals searching for the intruder. The individual being sought was not found....
What a great idea...what the heck are bomb sniffing dogs suppose to find in regards to this matter??

If he was not found, logic dictates that he left the terminal along with the thousands of other sheeple who were ordered outside by the clueless TSA.
Old Jul 10, 07, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Law enforcement officials with bomb sniffing dogs unsuccessfully scoured the terminals searching for the intruder. The individual being sought was not found.

Long lines of people formed outside the airport as passengers waited for screening to resume. As of 10:45 a.m., security checkpoints had reopened and passengers were being rescreened.
http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_191135121.html
Has the TSA ever found the soughtee during a dump?
Old Jul 10, 07, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by red456 View Post
Has the TSA ever found the soughtee during a dump?
They'll only find them if they have a bottle of water.
Old Jul 10, 07, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Information Desk & Women Travelers

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
No, No, No... you're looking at this all wrong!

This is evidence of the huge strides being make to improve the security of air travel in OAK. Just look at the numbers goalie posted:
  • security breaches have declined by 253.7% since the first of the year
  • time between incidences has increased from 41 to 145 days

Search this Thread