Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

When even the Government doesn't understand its own requirements ...

Old Jul 10, 07, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR

Almost a year after the liquids scare, the UK Department of Transport is placing ads in UK newspapers showing how to take liquids through the insecurity checks at UK airports. Problem is they're wrong.

According to the ad, I can take 'up to 100ml of liquid per container'. So I can take 50ml of contact lens liquid in a 120ml container (the smallest generally available)? No! The container must be max 100ml, no matter what the volume.

Implication: no limit on the number of bottles, so long as they fit into the transparent bag. Wrong! There is a limit of one bottle of each liquid, so I can take only one bottle of contact lens liquid.

'Following these rules will improve the security of passengers' - How? - 'and ease your passage through the airport'. Hmm, following these rules without understanding the unwritten explanation may hold you up and delay everybody.
Old Jul 10, 07, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Implication: no limit on the number of bottles, so long as they fit into the transparent bag. Wrong! There is a limit of one bottle of each liquid, so I can take only one bottle of contact lens liquid.

'Following these rules will improve the security of passengers' - How? - 'and ease your passage through the airport'. Hmm, following these rules without understanding the unwritten explanation may hold you up and delay everybody.
What kind of insane logic is that? Only one bottle of each liquid? What if I want to bring 2 bottles of shampoo? Are they seriously going to check our baggies to make sure each bottle contains a different liquid?
Old Jul 10, 07, 8:29 am

In the US we have no restriction on the number of similar items you can have. I have 2 bottles that are unlabeled, just have different color caps and it has never been an issue. I believe I have had 2 contact lens solution bottles and never been harassed. Maybe they stole that part from the US since I don't know the UK regulations.
Old Jul 10, 07, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JennyElf View Post
What kind of insane logic is that? Only one bottle of each liquid? What if I want to bring 2 bottles of shampoo? Are they seriously going to check our baggies to make sure each bottle contains a different liquid?
Good point. I had that from another link (must find it!), and I think was theoretically designed to prevent anybody from adding 100ml of a liquid to 100ml plus 100ml ...

But the container was the real howler. 50ml in a 120ml container is likely to be confiscated.
Old Jul 10, 07, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Just print out a label on your computer that says "99 ml." Paste it over the current label. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Mike
Old Jul 10, 07, 10:07 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
There is a limit of one bottle of each liquid, so I can take only one bottle of contact lens liquid.
Never heard of this rule. I use daily contact lenses, each packaged in a small container of maybe 1 ml of liquid. You say I can't bring more than one?

SmilingBoy.
Old Jul 10, 07, 10:11 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
Just print out a label on your computer that says "99 ml." Paste it over the current label. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Mike
If you're going to go through the trouble, then you better print it as an even 100ml (which is the uppermost limit). 99ml is odd enough to arouse suspicion. 100ml will probably pass through without a second glance.
Old Jul 10, 07, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy View Post
You say I can't bring more than one?
No, that would clearly be wrong.

While I look for the link (I don't make this up, you know ), please concentrate on the absurdity of 'up to 100ml of liquid per container' without mention of the maximum capacity of the container which is, of course, the limiting factor.
Old Jul 10, 07, 11:12 am

No, that would clearly be wrong.

While I look for the link (I don't make this up, you know ), please concentrate on the absurdity of 'up to 100ml of liquid per container' without mention of the maximum capacity of the container which is, of course, the limiting factor.
OK, I'll do that. Take a copy of the advert with you, and see how they react at screening.

SmilingBoy.
Old Jul 10, 07, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Still searching, but in the meantime:

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy View Post
I use daily contact lenses, each packaged in a small container of maybe 1 ml of liquid.
I wear disposable contact lenses. Can I carry spare sets in my hand baggage?
You may carry a couple of spare pairs in your Hand baggage. The packages need to be sealed. Beyond that, you should pack in your hold luggage.

from BAA Heathrow: http://tinyurl.com/39kcrj (BAA's link had 550 characters and spaces.)
Old Jul 10, 07, 11:32 am

"a couple of pairs" meaning two pairs or a few pairs?

Good to know though, frees up some space for other liquids.

SmilingBoy.
Old Jul 10, 07, 11:37 am

Silly Smiling Boy. Do what most folks do and place them in your pockets! Problem solved.
Old Jul 10, 07, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I don't get why the agencies (in the US and the UK) really care about individual bottle sizes, or whether you have a sole bottle of each item or not. The limit on baggie size should be the sole factor, end of story (even though the whole concept is flawed, at least that would make sense within the insane framework which we're discussing).
Old Jul 10, 07, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
The absurd one of each kind, 100ml container size, etc. rules introduce pseudoscience into the equation and keep people discussing the limits (there must be some reason for these detailed instructions!) instead of questioning them outright.
Old Jul 10, 07, 6:31 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Do they cross-check between different pax to assure that only 1 bottle of each type of liquid is past security at any one time? "Sorry, someone already brought contact solution into the secure area. I can't let you bring that past the checkpoint."

Otherwise the terrorists could combine bottles past security.

Search this Thread