Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has membership of any organization resulted in denial of visa for any FT'ers?

Old Jul 9, 07, 5:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)

I don't know if Greenery has already asked this question before but this is why I am curious to know...

I cannot go into too much detail at this point (promise to reveal all in the near future), but this morning I learned that I am in the awkward positon of having a business visa denied to visit a country that will remain nameless for now. I have traveled there before and have never caused any trouble there, never met with any shady characters, have always been in compliance with visa requirements and my client there is a very highly thought of private hospital system.

In initial conversations between my sponsor and consular officials at the location my application was being processed, it appears they have reason to believe I am a member of wait for it... Amnesty International.

It's going to take a few days to figure out what is going on and my sponsor is very confident that a mistake has occurred, but in the meantime I am wondering if any other FT'ers have had a similar issue and how they resolved it? (if at all).

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; Jul 9, 07 at 6:04 pm
Old Jul 9, 07, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL Silver, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Maybe a name similarity?

Does that country offer any challenge for VISA denial?

It sounds like your sponser has a sensible take on this, and if they think that it is a simple mistake, I'd let them run with it for now.

Maybe Amnesty International can provide you with documentation stating you have never worked for them?
Old Jul 9, 07, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by etch5895 View Post
Maybe Amnesty International can provide you with documentation stating you have never worked for them?
It seems as if the prospect of membership is the problem, not employment.

"Are you now or have you ever been..."
Old Jul 9, 07, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wait, is this coming into the US?
Old Jul 9, 07, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL Silver, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Well, as long as you are not flying into London, being a member of the band Metallica, and sporting an 'Al Qaeda' beard, I think you should not have any troubles.
Old Jul 10, 07, 12:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
I'd like to know how they got hold of AI's membership list.
Old Jul 10, 07, 4:16 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
I have a relative who used to be a member of the Dutch Communist party. Back in the 1980's the visa forms for the US stated that being a member of a CP you wouldn't get a visa. Don't know if this is still the case?
Old Jul 10, 07, 4:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie View Post
I'd like to know how they got hold of AI's membership list.
Oddly enough, the only time I have ever listed the names of organizations with which I have been affiliated is during the U.S. naturalization process. The form listing this information would only have been seen by the INS (or whatever it's supposed to be called now). Could the U.S. Govt have shared this information about me with a foreign government? I don't know.
Old Jul 11, 07, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
I don't know what country you're trying to visit, but I've heard that one of the things that Amnesty likes to do is formulate reports on atrocities. Maybe someone thinks that if you're member you'll use your visit to do some reporting?
Old Jul 12, 07, 9:56 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
I don't know what country you're trying to visit, but I've heard that one of the things that Amnesty likes to do is formulate reports on atrocities. Maybe someone thinks that if you're member you'll use your visit to do some reporting?
Some governments just don't like Amnesty International, even when most of its members are never involved in any such activity of reporting on atrocities.
Old Jul 13, 07, 11:25 am

Programs: AY, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Some governments just don't like Amnesty International, even when most of its members are never involved in any such activity of reporting on atrocities.
Can we get a list of governments that deny entry to members of Amnesty International? Wonder if there would be any surprises on that list...
Old Jul 14, 07, 3:08 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by tsastor View Post
Can we get a list of governments that deny entry to members of Amnesty International? Wonder if there would be any surprises on that list...
Wow! I wonder how they feel about Medecins sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders). We send them money all the time.
Old Jul 14, 07, 5:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpmcdonough View Post
Wow! I wonder how they feel about Medecins sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders). We send them money all the time.
Ultimately, any organization doing good can become a target of an overzealous govt if they are seen as politically incompatible with the government. Right here in Richardson, people who may have donated even piddling amounts to the now defunct Holy Land Foundation charity have been interviewed several times by the FBI, who have been trying to ascertain whether a link exists between contributors and terrorism.

It is thought that the Government will eventually charge those that have contributed to this organization with providing material support to terrorism. The Holy Land Foundation claims it has no terror links and they are probably telling the truth since no evidence has ever been produced to prove otherwise. Those that contributed to this charity potentially face the specter of prison time for contributing to a charitable organization that as far as they knew was simply helping people in need.

So in short, membership of MSF can one day be potentially problematic somewhere in the world.
Old Jul 14, 07, 5:42 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh View Post
The Holy Land Foundation claims it has no terror links and they are probably telling the truth since no evidence has ever been produced to prove otherwise.
As far as I can see from a quick Google search, the Holy Land Foundation has been indicted on 42 terrorism related counts and the trial is scheduled to begin tomorrow.
Old Jul 14, 07, 6:29 pm
J-M

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh View Post
In initial conversations between my sponsor and consular officials at the location my application was being processed, it appears they have reason to believe I am a member of wait for it... Amnesty International.
That particular organization does have a decidedly leftist slant, and like all groups, has a tendency to skew facts to fit its version of the truth. Perhaps the government doesn't agree with that. Their country, their right to deny you a visa.

Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
As far as I can see from a quick Google search, the Holy Land Foundation has been indicted on 42 terrorism related counts and the trial is scheduled to begin tomorrow.
Details, details...

Search this Thread