Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Fake bomb eludes airport test (but, Allah be praised, they found the water!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fake bomb eludes airport test (but, Allah be praised, they found the water!)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Thumbs up Fake bomb eludes airport test (but, Allah be praised, they found the water!)

Fake bomb eludes airport test
Albany facility's security measures fail in 5 of 7 trials, mostly at the passenger checkpoint

By BRENDAN J. LYONS, Senior writer
First published: Wednesday, July 4, 2007

COLONIE -- Federal inspectors were able to slip a fake bomb through a checkpoint at Albany International Airport during a test of the facility's Transportation Security Administration screeners, according to individuals familiar with the incident.

The unannounced inspection by TSA officials took place early last week. The airport's security measures failed in five of seven tests, most of the problems occurring at the passenger checkpoint, the sources said.

In one test, TSA inspectors hid the components of a fake bomb in carry-on luggage that also contained a bottle of water. Passengers are prohibited from carrying containers holding more than three ounces of liquids, gels or aerosols through airport checkpoints.

The screeners at Albany International confiscated the water bottle but missed the bomb. In all, the inspectors slipped four banned items through the main checkpoint during the test, sources said.

The TSA, which took over security at the nation's commercial airports after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, conducts random tests of its workforce on a regular basis and failures are common, officials said.

Paul Varville, the TSA's security director at Albany International, could not be reached for comment.

Ann Davis, a TSA spokeswoman, declined to discuss the circumstances of the covert test at Albany International.

(snip)

Last October, the Star-Ledger newspaper of Newark, citing unnamed federal security officials, reported screeners at Newark Liberty International Airport flunked 20 of 22 tests, including failing to detect bombs and guns in luggage at checkpoints.

The TSA responded to the report by launching an internal investigation in which federal employees were interrogated about whether they had leaked the results, the newspaper said.

Not all of the TSA's checks are done at passenger checkpoints. In some instances, TSA inspectors try to gain access to restricted airport areas and see how many employees they can get by before someone asks to see or verify their credentials.

At two airports in Houston last month, TSA officials swarmed the facilities as security and "behavior detection" officers conducted random screening of approximately 5,200 employees and passengers at boarding gates, according to the TSA.

Five employees with expired airport security badges were found as were two who did not have credentials.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...sdate=7/9/2007
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:28 am

I bet the workers still gots paid though, girlfriend...
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
(but, Allah be praised, they found the water!)

Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeHateY
Ann Davis, a TSA spokeswoman, declined to discuss the circumstances of the covert test at Albany International.

Added Davis, "We only discuss the times we think we got The Big Catch."

21 out of 22 bomb components missed at EWR
Nine out of 10 bomb components missed at DEN
Five out of seven bomb components missed at ALB

Yer doing a heckuva job, Kippie.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:23 am

Can't see the forest through the trees
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by LessO2
Added Davis, "We only discuss the times we think we got The Big Catch."

21 out of 22 bomb components missed at EWR
Nine out of 10 bomb components missed at DEN
Five out of seven bomb components missed at ALB

Yer doing a heckuva job, Kippie.
Hey, they're improving.

EWR: 4.5% success
DEN: 10% success
ALB: 28.5% success

See? They improved 285%!!!!!!

*note this post is entirely sarcastic.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
My personal favorite quote:

"We don't discuss the results because they tend to paint an inaccurate picture of the competency of our work force," she said. "The tests are designed to be incredibly difficult and TSA does anticipate a fair level of failure."

Um, yeah. That makes me feel safe. Hopefully, the next terrorist who tries to get on a plane will make it easier for them.

Mike
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Confused

"The screeners at Albany International confiscated the water bottle but missed the bomb."
"The screeners at Albany International confiscated the water bottle but missed the bomb."

So this is what is has come to. I am so torn, but mostly stunned into shock as I stare at this statement over and over. I cannot decide if I should laugh or cry.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Flaflyer

So this is what is has come to. I am so torn, but mostly stunned into shock as I stare at this statement over and over. I cannot decide if I should laugh or cry.
Keep in mind that if you cry, any tears over 100 ml will be confiscated.

Mike
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: United Milage Plus 1K. Lots of hotel Gold.
Wait a second.. what I've learned from the TSA is that a bomb can't possibly work without a bottle of water (or toothpaste, deoderant, duty-free liquor, etc.). So in (Kip's) reality, didn't they, in fact, make the bomb useless by taking away the water bottle?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by jello2594
So in (Kip's) reality, didn't they, in fact, make the bomb useless by taking away the water bottle?
Yay! TSA-heroes dismantled the bomb! ^
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Do you all ever wonder if anyone high enough at the TSA reads these forums, and if they do, heck, even if they don't, do they feel even the least bit of shame or embarrassment over their doublespeak and incompetence?

I ask, because if I was Kip Hawley or his like, I'd probably wake up one morning and realize the folly of it all, get rid of all my possessions and join a monastery for penance.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Flaflyer

As someone once said "This is hilarious yet sad at the same time ... like a clown on fire."
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
Do you all ever wonder if anyone high enough at the TSA reads these forums, and if they do, heck, even if they don't, do they feel even the least bit of shame or embarrassment over their doublespeak and incompetence?
No. They simply scan our IP addresses and will get back to us later.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:35 pm

So, a new TSA guideline will be enacted:

"If you should find a bottle of water in a passenger's carryon, assume they also have a bomb you can't find, and detain them and thier luggage."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.