Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Security Breach At YYZ Causes Major Delays (Terminal dump)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E

A security breach at Pearson International Airport late Saturday caused a big headache for hundreds on their way overseas well into Sunday. At least eight flights were grounded just before 11pm after an elderly couple boarding an Air India flight made it past initial security with about six box cutters and a potato peeler in their carry-on.

Box cutters are retractable knives with serrated edges and the discovery of the items forced officials to pull everyone off the plane and re-screen all passengers who were flying out. More than 1600 passengers were re-screened, causing a delay of more than three hours.
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_12653.aspx
Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
STUPID!
STUPID!
STUPID!

Box cutters and knives are NOT credible threats to aircraft. Whoever ordered this unnecessary dump should be tarred and feathered!!!

It looks like once again the US and the UK do not own the monopoly on acting like imbeciles in the name of "security".
Old Jul 8, 2007, 8:53 pm

What?!? "Box cutters and knives are NOT credible threats to aircraft."
Are you serious!?!? I can think of a few instances that would seem to contradict your statement.

I'm all for being sensible about security, but I'm also all for security. Anyone tries to get on my plane with boxcutters, yeah, I want them stopped.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Sancha
What?!?

Are you serious!?!? I can think of a few instances that would seem to contradict your statement.
:: pulling up the popcorn ::
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Just heard on City News that there's another "security breach" on tonight's Air India flight, a gate search turned up a pen knife. CATSA waiting on Transport Canada to see if they'll do another terminal dump. Can't find any info on this on CityTV's website yet though.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:10 pm

What?!? "Box cutters and knives are NOT credible threats to aircraft."

I'm all for being sensible about security, but I'm also all for security. Anyone tries to get on my plane with boxcutters, yeah, I want them stopped.
Your statements are illogical. Knives are not credible weapons. Pilots do not open the cockpit door and they land the plane at the first sign of trouble. Passengers also would attack any idiot who tried to hijack or destroy a plane with a knife.

It is a complete waste of time and resources to even search passengers for knives at the checkpoint, let alone get one's panties in a wad over their presence in the sterile area.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Just heard on City News that there's another "security breach" on tonight's Air India flight, a gate search turned up a pen knife. CATSA waiting on Transport Canada to see if they'll do another terminal dump. Can't find any info on this on CityTV's website yet though.
Looks like Canada is joining the race to the bottom when it comes to mind-numbingly stupid, inappropriate responses to non-credible threats. How far down will Canada advance tonight? Depends a lot on how they respond to this latest imaginary threat. The tar is heating up and the feathers are always ready in the event some imbecile calls for a terminal dump.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Banning the weapons that worked so well on 9/11/01 seems very prudent to me, and I'm sure most people would agree. I think you're way out on left field on this one.

Originally Posted by Spiff
STUPID!
STUPID!
STUPID!

Box cutters and knives are NOT credible threats to aircraft. Whoever ordered this unnecessary dump should be tarred and feathered!!!

It looks like once again the US and the UK do not own the monopoly on acting like imbeciles in the name of "security".
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_12653.aspx

Still no info if a terminal dump occurred, but it is saying "On Sunday, for the second night in a row, a security breach delayed flights at Pearson International Airport and for the second time it involved an Air India jet."
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:31 pm

Your statements are illogical. Knives are not credible weapons. Pilots do not open the cockpit door and they land the plane at the first sign of trouble. Passengers also would attack any idiot who tried to hijack or destroy a plane with a knife.

It is a complete waste of time and resources to even search passengers for knives at the checkpoint, let alone get one's panties in a wad over their presence in the sterile area.
a) Pilots do open the cockpit door. Yes, when they do it the area should be secured by a beverage cart, but to imagine a determined group of individuals would never be able to get in a cockpit is pure and simple naivety.
b) While I agree there is a fair chance passengers may attack a hijacker, the average passenger neither trained nor equipped. Not to mention, it may not be one hijacker or ten hijackers -- able-bodied passengers may very well be overwhelmed.
c) um, what exactly would make it a "secure" area if passengers were allowed to carry knives?

So, yes, I will continue to get my, as you so elegantly put it, "panties in a wad" over passengers carrying weapons.

I know that expressing any defence of actions taken by airport security is akin to walking into the lion's den here -- I find it a real shame that (as has been lamented before) only one viewpoint is allowed in this forum, one that many of us silently view as rather extremist. But I find it the height of folly to insist that knives and boxcutters aren't dangerous on a plane. That's a chance I'm not willing to take, with my life or anyone else's.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Banning the weapons that worked so well on 9/11/01 seems very prudent to me, and I'm sure most people would agree. I think you're way out on left field on this one.
They only worked because:

1)Crew cooperated with terrorists

2)Pilots opened cockpit doors.

Neither will happen now; there's no point in wasting time and resources on knives.

9/11 (waaaa!) would have happened if the terrorists broke wine glasses and used them in the same manner. Banning knives doesn't adress the problem; rather it deflects attention from real security issues and unfairly lays blame where it doesn't belong.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:36 pm

a) Pilots do open the cockpit door. Yes, when they do it the area should be secured by a beverage cart, but to imagine a determined group of individuals would never be able to get in a cockpit is pure and simple naivety.
b) While I agree there is a fair chance passengers may attack a hijacker, the average passenger neither trained nor equipped. Not to mention, it may not be one hijacker or ten hijackers -- able-bodied passengers may very well be overwhelmed.
c) um, what exactly would make it a "secure" area if passengers were allowed to carry knives?

So, yes, I will continue to get my, as you so elegantly put it, "panties in a wad" over passengers carrying weapons.

I know that expressing any defence of actions taken by airport security is akin to walking into the lion's den here -- I find it a real shame that (as has been lamented before) only one viewpoint is allowed in this forum, one that many of us silently view as rather extremist. But I find it the height of folly to insist that knives and boxcutters aren't dangerous on a plane. That's a chance I'm not willing to take, with my life or anyone else's.
If you want to get worked up over non-credible threats, have at it.

How do you survive a trip to the mall, where they actually sell the things?
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:41 pm

[QUOTE=Spiff;8024125]
9/11 (waaaa!) [QUOTE]

I think that a lot of people who lost loved ones on that day would find your attitude... hurtful.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Pilots do not open the cockpit door.
On any flight over 2-3 hours the cockpit door usually is opened at least 2-3 times to allow the crew to access the lavs. On very long flights they have to trade place with relief crews.

Passengers also would attack any idiot who tried to hijack or destroy a plane with a knife
Your average untrained bozo (e.g. me) probably wouldn' cause too much mayhem before he's subdued. Put knives in the hands of a couple well-trained people in good condition and it will be a different story. The safety of the passengers and cabin crews is as valid a concern as the safety of the pilots.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
To quote OH, let's think for a change.

The "weapons" used on 9/11/2001 were a very minor and optional component of that event.

The security procedures currently implemented by the TSA, by themselves, would not hinder a repeat of 9/11 in the slightest.

Contemplate that before your next flight. The reason you will likely arrive safely at your destination has nothing to do with knives or other edged tools not being on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.