Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How the heck can you get toothpaste as a carryon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

Ok,

I fly alot but I want to start going carryon more so I can get home quicker. One of the things that I have noticed is that there is really no version of toothpaste that is 3oz or less unless you get one of the nightly toothpaste tubes of 0.85 oz or less. What does every one do to get around this?

Please help me
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Remember that you actually get 100g or 3.3 oz! You can find tubes of toothpaste that are 100g. I like the Burts Bees Cinnamint personally.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:39 pm

How much toothpaste do you use if you consider the .85 oz tube "nightly". One of those lasts me about a week - 2 weeks.

At either Target or Walmart I was able to find ~2 oz tube of Colgate Luminous. It lasted me a couple months.

Many people here seem to buy new toothpaste at each location though so they can carry on, but still get their specific toothpaste.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:42 pm

Better hotel provide free toothpaste on request.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Get a prescription.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Wal Mart, Target, and many grocery stores have 1.4 ounce (or thereabouts) tubes of toothpaste in the travel section. Those usually last me 5 or 6 days. If my trip will last longer than that, I bring a second tube.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:50 pm
MFM

you can buy travel sizes of colgate or crest in the travel sections of most drug stores
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I buy the Rembrandt 3.0 oz toothpaste at CVS. I love it when the TSA thinks they have a big catch (a large tube) but when checked, it is w/in their requirements. It's amazing what makes me happy now.

Matt
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL UA US
Your dentist can provide sample sizes. They are perfect!

Pincus
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by enigmamatt
I buy the Rembrandt 3.0 oz toothpaste at CVS. I love it when the TSA thinks they have a big catch (a large tube) but when checked, it is w/in their requirements. It's amazing what makes me happy now.

Matt
LOL - I do the same with the Rembrandt. And yes, we need to find our ways to keep ourselves amused to make travel even bearable nowadays
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
My 'travel size' tubes I got at CVS are .75 ounces. One will last just about a week, occasionally though I need a few little packages from the hotel. Carrying two is still within the rules, unless the baggie gets full.

I also refill my small saline bottle. The 'travel size' in the store is usually 4 oz. An Opti Free free sample bottle I got from my optition is 2 oz, slightly fuller than the normal fill lasts me about a week. I know I can do the entire bottle, just saves the fight/hassle you get sometimes.

And I got a small hair paste container when I got my hair cut once. I rinsed it well getting the little biut of paste out. Then I squeeze in the hair gel for a week's trip. Perfect for one person for just over a week.

This is really just a test to see how smart or resiliant you can be!!
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:30 pm

Standard toothpaste sizes in stores across continental Europe are either 75ml (ca. 2.5oz) or 100ml (3.4oz) both of which are OK with TSA screeners. Perhaps try to get one (or several) of those when you go there or have someone supply you with that when travelling there for your travel needs. As I usually travel only with carry-on, I have one of these often in my 1 quart baggie with the ml reading clearly visible and never even had a comment from a screener.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
A couple of options.

Ask for toothpaste when checking into your hotel, most carry sample sizes and are happy to hand them out.

Look for "travel sizes" in the special aisle at Targets. Most Target stores that I've visited have a good half aisle in the health and beauty area with bins and bins of 3.4 oz sizes of stuff.

Switch to tooth power which wouldn't be limited by size.

Switch to one-use, disposable tooth brushes that have the toothpaste in them, a couple of Flyertalkers have reported they have found websites that will ship them a case of these at an average cost of a few cents each.

Hide a full size tube of toothpaste in your bag. Based on my experience you have a 95% chance of getting the item though the x-ray without anybody noticing -or- hide the tube in your pants pocket and you'll have a 99% chance of getting it past the WTMD (as long as your brand of toothpaste tube doesn't have metal)

Get your dentist to write a prescription for your preferred brand of over the counter tooth paste, then slap the prescription label on the tube and you'll be exempt from the 3.4 oz foolishness.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
As this perennially popular issue has been addressed once again, we'll close the thread to further discussion.

----------
essxjay
Travel Safety/Security moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.