Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My parents want me to cancel my LHR trip...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

My parents want me to cancel my LHR trip...

So I'm visiting my parents this weekend and on Wednesday I'm supposed to fly to LHR. They have asked me not to go. It's a vacation trip for the British Grand Prix which should be fun, and the tickets and hotel rooms are paid for. I'm inclined to go although I'm sure the security situation will increase the level of airport suck possibly beyond sane levels. Anyone else thinking of canceling a trip?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
I'd go. I have told my children many times I would rather they die in a train wreck in Eastern Europe at age 30 than live to age 85 and never leave Forrest County, MS.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Parents always do this - mine too! I'm not sure if it's a "parent" or "parent+British" response to situations.

I'd go. A bit, or even a lot of airport suck - worth it.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I'd go. Though I might see what would be involved in returning out of, say, AMS or CDG instead of LHR. Just because I think the inconvenience is going to be stifiling.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I'd go. Though I might see what would be involved in returning out of, say, AMS or CDG instead of LHR. Just because I think the inconvenience is going to be stifiling.
It may be worth flying to LCY which would mean a connection in AMS or FRA. That's if you can change your plans at this notice. LHR is always best avoided. But in the end, your unlikely to be in any danger wherever you fly and you should not allow terrorists to dictate your plans.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:36 pm

go!
if not, I'll gladly take your tickets and go in your place to watch Lewis win!
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:14 pm

Go! Your parents probably weren't thrilled the first time you crossed the street on your own either, but they got used to it.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan
So I'm visiting my parents this weekend and on Wednesday I'm supposed to fly to LHR. They have asked me not to go. It's a vacation trip for the British Grand Prix which should be fun, and the tickets and hotel rooms are paid for. I'm inclined to go although I'm sure the security situation will increase the level of airport suck possibly beyond sane levels. Anyone else thinking of canceling a trip?
Come to the UK.

I am not letting those jokers disrupt my life and thus, I will be flying this coming Wednesday.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
You should go for sure. I have a trip planned for 7/18 and have yet to tell my parents. They always make a big deal about my traveling (though they travel more than I do, so its strange) and now with everything going on, I'm sure it won't be taken very well. But go and have fun. I'm not canceling.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL GM
If I were scheduled to go, I'd go.

On the other hand, if I were your mom, I'd probably prefer that you not go, too.

It's all a matter of perspective.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Go. ^
Have fun but be vigilant.

Everytime someone seriously alters thier plans/behavior because of fear, the terrorists get a victory.

(That's why I purposely do mileage runs every September 11th.)
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Dont go!

Also, avoid crossing the street, do not eat anything you haven't cooked yourself, and please do not smoke, drive a car or shake hands with other people. That should cover the basics.

Now, lets see how many brits we have here and how many tht don't get irony.

-A
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Billiken
Go. ^

Everytime someone seriously alters thier plans/behavior because of fear, the terrorists get a victory.

That's why Mom and I went on holiday to Cairo October 2001.

Go.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:18 pm

Go.

Originally Posted by Billiken
Go. ^

Billiken's right.

And in a twisted way, London will probably be safer over the next few weeks than it was last week.

Think about it - three days ago most people were going about their daily business not paying attention to anything that might be suspicious. Now, however, everyone is on the lookout and on guard.

Which are you going to regret more? Going or not? And remember that you do have another few days to decide.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
GO! Enjoy yourself! Don't give the sickos a second thought. I'll be back in the UK again next month with my wife & kids. I'm not changing my plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.