Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Police: Diabetic Man Missing After Being Kicked Off Train

Old Jun 28, 07, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent

UPDATED: 11:06 am PDT June 28, 2007

PHOENIX -- A 65-year-old St. Louis man is missing after Amtrak personnel, mistaking his diabetic shock for drunk and disorderly behavior, kicked him off a train in the middle of a national forest, according to police in Williams, Ariz.

Police said Roosevelt Sims was headed to Los Angeles but was asked to leave the train shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday at a railroad crossing five miles outside Williams.

"He was let off in the middle of a national forest, which is about 800,000 acres of beautiful pine trees," Lt. Mike Graham said.

Police said there is no train station or running water at the crossing, which is about two miles from the nearest road, at an elevation of about 8,000 feet.

Williams police told CBS 5 that Amtrak has used the abandoned crossing as a drop-off site in the past. Graham said that whether drunk or not, no one should be dropped off there.

"You don't put anyone off in an area like that," Graham said.
Old Jun 28, 07, 4:04 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Wow...

Should we start a poll on how much the lawsuit/settlement award will be..
Old Jun 28, 07, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MKEbound View Post
Wow...

Should we start a poll on how much the lawsuit/settlement award will be..
Only if he has survivors.
Old Jun 28, 07, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Wow is right.
Old Jun 28, 07, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I can't imagine Amtrak has a rule which permits train personnel to remove a passenger at any point along the railway. I can understand removing someone at a station, but in the middle of nowhere?? That would be like an airline opening the door and tossing a passenger out with a parachute.

What idiots!

I hope he is found, turns out to be OK and sues the living life out of Amtrak - not that they have much cash to pay him with anyway
Old Jun 28, 07, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
Only if he has survivors.
"The Sims family said Sims is diabetic and was going into shock.

Sims' brother, Brian Mason, said his family tried to call Sims on his cell phone that night, but Sims was incoherent."

He's got some family so I'd say they'll sue for hmmmm $10 million? Plus an injunction to prevent Amtrak from kicking off any passenger in a deserted area such as this (manned stations only) AND mandatory diabetes awareness training for all train-board personnel.
Old Jun 28, 07, 6:08 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I've twice in riding Amtrak watched passengers removed and in both cases, police were there to meet the train.

This just reeks of bad judgement.
Old Jun 28, 07, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire/Amb, SPG Gld, HH Gld
Agree that this is outrageous, but the news report is a little misleading to those who don't know northern AZ. Seemslike the cop was trying to get himself a couple of headlines...

1 - the climate there at this time of year is mild (I camp around there most summers). If I had to choose anywhere in AZ/NV/CA/UT at this time of year to be dumped 5 miles from anywhere, then this place would be high on my list.

2 - The southern segement of the Kaibab NF is indeed ~1400 square miles (sounds a bit smaller than 800k acres, doesn't it !) but a lot of it is also open grassland. It is beautiful, but not one big pine forest as the story suggests.

Amtrak should not be dumping people any place other than a station for any reason, and I hope that what happened to this guy will lead to changes (and whoever is responsible being dismissed).
Old Jun 28, 07, 7:38 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by dgwright99 View Post
Agree that this is outrageous, but the news report is a little misleading to those who don't know northern AZ. Seemslike the cop was trying to get himself a couple of headlines...

1 - the climate there at this time of year is mild (I camp around there most summers). If I had to choose anywhere in AZ/NV/CA/UT at this time of year to be dumped 5 miles from anywhere, then this place would be high on my list.

2 - The southern segement of the Kaibab NF is indeed ~1400 square miles (sounds a bit smaller than 800k acres, doesn't it !) but a lot of it is also open grassland. It is beautiful, but not one big pine forest as the story suggests.

Amtrak should not be dumping people any place other than a station for any reason, and I hope that what happened to this guy will lead to changes (and whoever is responsible being dismissed).
Regardless of the current weather, without supplies a diabetic AND drunk individual could be seriously harmed without proper care.

Bottom line, this is negligent.
Old Jun 28, 07, 8:13 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by party_boy View Post
Regardless of the current weather, without supplies a diabetic AND drunk individual could be seriously harmed without proper care.

Bottom line, this is negligent.

Negligent is right. What about all the times bars have been sued and owners charged for kicking out drunk patrons who drive off and have an accident? I am amazed they would put the guy off in the middle of nowhere. I don't think that would be the appropriate response even if he was a murderer.
Old Jun 29, 07, 8:38 am

Deputies Find Diabetic Man Kicked Off Train
Passenger Barefoot, Dehydrated, Disoriented, Deputies Say

POSTED: 9:24 pm PDT June 28, 2007
UPDATED: 6:17 am PDT June 29, 2007

WILLIAMS, Ariz. -- A 65-year-old St. Louis man who went missing Sunday night after Amtrak personnel, mistaking his diabetic shock for drunk and disorderly behavior, kicked him off a train in the middle of a national forest, has been found two miles from where he was dropped off, according to police in Williams, Ariz.

Police said Roosevelt Sims, a factory worker who had just retired last week, was discovered Thursday night walking along the railroad tracks barefoot by Coconino County sheriff's deputies.

Deputies said he was dehydrated and disoriented.

He was rushed to a Flagstaff hospital for emergency treatment, deputies said.

Sims headed to Los Angeles but was asked to leave the train shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday at a railroad crossing five miles outside Williams.

Amtrak personnel told police dispatchers that Sims was drunk and unruly.

The Sims family said Sims is diabetic and was going into shock.

"He was let off in the middle of a national forest, which is about 800,000 acres of beautiful pine trees," Lt. Mike Graham said.

Police said there is no train station or running water at the crossing, which is about two miles from the nearest road, at an elevation of about 8,000 feet.

Amtrak, in a statement released late Thursday, said it followed company policy. “The conductor and the passenger waited on the platform with the passenger's luggage,” the statement said. “Upon arrival of authorities, the passenger fled into nearby woods.”

When officers arrived at the crossing, police said, they found Sims had left his luggage and medication behind.

Sims' brother, Brian Mason, said his family tried to call Sims on his cell phone that night, but Sims was incoherent.

Cell phone records show that Sims' phone was last used in Litchfield Park, Ariz., 180 miles from Williams.

Williams police told CBS 5 that Amtrak has used the abandoned crossing as a drop-off site in the past. Graham said that whether drunk or not, no one should be dropped off there.

"You don't put anyone off in an area like that," Graham said.
Old Jun 29, 07, 10:10 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
There's also a longer article about this incident in today's St Louis Post Dispatch. However, I cannot get the link to work on their web page.

The address of the web page is www.stltoday.com, maybe others can get it to work.
Old Jun 30, 07, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by dgwright99 View Post

2 - The southern segement of the Kaibab NF is indeed ~1400 square miles (sounds a bit smaller than 800k acres, doesn't it !)
1. Doesn't matter how sweet and beautiful the area is, if he is going into diabetic shock.

2. 1400 sq. miles=896,000 acres
Any way you cut it, that's a lot of land.
New York City (total for 5 boroughs) has over 8.2 million residents within an area of 322 square miles . (that's about 206,000 acres).
Old Jun 30, 07, 11:07 am

Programs: the human race
some good hiking in the Kanab forest.
Old Jun 30, 07, 11:12 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
The St Louis Post Dispatch has reported today that the man, Roosevelt Sims, was found late Thursday evening. He was clad only in his underwear, and was using a stick to walk along railroad tracks in the woods.

Apparently his diagnosis with diabetes was quite recent. He had just retired from his job and was going to California to visit his children. The train reportedly ran out of food, and all he had eaten was potato chips.

Since the diagnosis was so recent, he probably did not have anything like a med-alert bracelet about his condition, and he also may not have realized that he was becoming so ill.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: