FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Woman Says Breast Milk Kept Her Off Plane (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/706607-woman-says-breast-milk-kept-her-off-plane.html)

Spiff Jul 20, 2007 10:49 am

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 8090518)
And just what sort of inspection ensues upon "declaration" that makes one bit of sense? Oh, right -- visual!! :rolleyes:

:mad:

"Is this pint of breast milk actually explosives?"

<shake> <shake> <shake> <flip!>

"My sources say no"

Superguy Jul 20, 2007 12:18 pm

My guess is that TSA found out there really was something to the lady's story with how they acted and that putting it up on Mythbusters was a bad idea. However, as they can't admit that, they just change the policy to allow it thru with a "declaration" to make it ok.

myrgirl Jul 21, 2007 8:51 am

But it wasn't breast milk in that cup, it was water. That's still a no-go even in sippy cups and baby bottles.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm wondering if this breast milk allowance is due to our IdeaFactory another TSAer hear posted about. This was one of the top promoted ideas there (along with the shirt color change.)

Superguy Jul 21, 2007 9:42 am

Originally Posted by myrgirl (Post 8094961)
But it wasn't breast milk in that cup, it was water. That's still a no-go even in sippy cups and baby bottles.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm wondering if this breast milk allowance is due to our IdeaFactory another TSAer hear posted about. This was one of the top promoted ideas there (along with the shirt color change.)

My bad ... I confused it with another story where a woman was given crap in ORD after pumping in AA's office.

dhuey Jul 21, 2007 10:12 am

This is the kind of person TSA critics have been waiting for (not like the crybaby Emmerson at DCA). Count the things Cirillo-Tarica does right to get public opinion on her side:

1) She never freaked out.

2) She relays the inane quotes from TSA officials without fabrication (TSA appears not to take issue with any of them).

3) She shows how TSA applies the liquids policy inconsistently.

4) Most important, she makes a strong, logical argument on why the liquids policy is ill-conceived.

Hats off to Cirillo-Tarica.

Cookie Jarvis Jul 21, 2007 10:32 am

Originally Posted by myrgirl (Post 8094961)

And it must be a great day for you guys when you get take a sippy cup with -god forbid, tap water in it- away from a little kid. What a score!!

myrgirl Jul 21, 2007 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis (Post 8095289)
And it must be a great day for you guys when you get take a sippy cup with -god forbid, tap water in it- away from a little kid. What a score!!

Ugh. I HATE doing it. I do everything I can to get the water dumped out (doing it myself if I can get permission) so they don't lose their cup or bottle. They can easily get water airside but cups and bottles are irreplaceable especially if it's the child's favorite.

Cookie Jarvis Jul 21, 2007 11:39 am

Originally Posted by myrgirl (Post 8095354)
Ugh. I HATE doing it. I do everything I can to get the water dumped out (doing it myself if I can get permission) so they don't lose their cup or bottle. They can easily get water airside but cups and bottles are irreplaceable especially if it's the child's favorite.

I can see what you mean. If I had to do something loathsome such as take away water from a toddler, I'd hope that the floor would open up and swallow me. Of course, I'll never be in that situation, so I guess I am pretty lucky!

Wally Bird Jul 21, 2007 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by myrgirl (Post 8095354)

But didn't Kippie tell us that empty containers are a Big Threat too ? Or was that last week ? Hard to keep up.