Woman Says Breast Milk Kept Her Off Plane

Old Jun 24, 07, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Or really have no understanding of a traveling lactating mom's needs.
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Guess again.
Based on previous posts, I'd guess the same thing again.
Me, too.

What other reason - except a complete and utter lack of understanding - is there for one to believe that putting bottled breast milk into checked baggage adequately resolves the issue?
Old Jun 24, 07, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by okazon69 View Post
That's nothing compared to when junior starts on solid foods, though! Although, would that output then be considered a solid or a gel?
No. That output would be considered to be the officials who developed the no liquids policy.
Old Jun 24, 07, 4:10 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
Idiot.
I'll say it.
no, I was thinking more of a shortened version of the name Richard
Old Jun 24, 07, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
Breast milk doesn't have to be mixed with anything else to be deadly. When ingested by an infant or toddler it can be converted into a substance that is absolutely toxic. Have you never changed a diaper, man?
Nope. Real men don't change diapers.

(Academic, since I have no children.)
Old Jun 24, 07, 6:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma View Post
What other reason - except a complete and utter lack of understanding - is there for one to believe that putting bottled breast milk into checked baggage adequately resolves the issue?
A reading of the applicable rules...
Old Jun 24, 07, 6:58 pm
Suspended

A reading of the applicable rules...
I don't think you've been paying attention. The point is that the rules are beyond stupid.
Old Jun 24, 07, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
The woman still has the breasts and they contain milk no? Why would she bother with this and not just breast feed on the plane? She could easily pack a shawl so it would be a private affair.
Wow! You don't post often but you're a laugh-a-minute when you do! Great use of irony to make a point!
Old Jun 24, 07, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by LGAJFK View Post
The point is that the rules are beyond stupid.
Stupid is expecting the rules to be waived when you find them inconvenient. The TSO doesn't make the rules.
Old Jun 24, 07, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Stupid is expecting the rules to be waived when you find them inconvenient. The TSO doesn't make the rules.
Can you tell me how keeping breast milk off the plane kept it from blowing up? If it's safe enough to go under the plane, it's safe enough to be on the plane. Of course, unless there's some breast milk bomb that you and TSA know of that everyone else doesn't.

Checking it doesn't solve the problem of wasted milk. So what if she would have pumped it in the sterile zone. Same milk, but it would have been just fine. Or if it remained in the breast ... you see where this is going.

You're right the TSO doesn't make the rules, but they were still stupid in how they handled it (did you SEE her pump? ). And of course, Kippie and his brethren should be flogged for this idiocy.
Old Jun 24, 07, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem isn't a matter of inconvenient. The problem is how is she supposed to get the milk to baby? You can't just go buy milk at anything resembling a sane price--if it's lost it's lost.

In some cases checking is completely not an option--no access to the bags on a stopover. Keeping it cold while checked is also a non-trivial problem.

They still haven't shown how there was any real threat from the liquids anyway.
Old Jun 24, 07, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Remember, Comrades:

Rules Must Be Obeyed!

State has made certain rules because State knows what is best for you. Never, ever question what State tells you to do, or State will find new place for you to live and new things for you to learn. Do not think for yourselves, Comrades! You walk down a very dangerous path when you attempt such things. Decadent Americans think for themselves. You do not!!!

"Comrade Napolean is Always Right!"
Old Jun 25, 07, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Yeah, I agree. it doesn't prove it under stupid rules about breast milks. These are no evidenece the liquid rules. Why you don't purchase into the streile area before boarding the aircraft. Ladies need purchase a milks before get onto the plane. Kippie doesn't understand the following regulations about liquid explosives. Why don't let passengers alone to do put some larger liquid, gels and other into your pocket but, no one will seen it when you getting through metal detector then you will be big score. I have a idea for my common when you will putting large toothpaste in your pocket. It would be not hear the beep at metal detector. TSO will nobody seen it the large toothpaste when you passed checkpoint.
Old Jun 25, 07, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
You don't seriously think this is simply about convenience... do you?
Old Jun 25, 07, 10:45 am

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Exactly.

Wasn't this thread about a particular incident and the application of the rules?

We can ALL agree that to various degrees that the rule is too restrictive.

This has turned into another "These rules suck" ..... session.

IMHO
Old Jun 25, 07, 10:58 am

Can you tell me...
Yes, but what would be the point?

The lady in question can't expect the rules to be ignored just for her. Her expectation should be that the applicable rules will be enforced and she should plan, and act, accordingly.

If you wish to argue that the rules should be different then that's fine but it's a completely separate topic--one in which I have no interest in participating.

Search this Thread