Woman Says Breast Milk Kept Her Off Plane

Old Jun 22, 07, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by skylady View Post
[
There is no intelligence whatsover used in their testing. If there were, it would be pretty easy to see how stupid this was. If TSA really knew what the threats were, they wouldn't have this liquid lunacy while ignoring other threats, like unscreened cargo.

Which "unscreend cargo" are you referring to?
The cargo carried on commercial flights from FedEx, USPS, UPS, and so forth. TSA relies on a trusted shipper program so it doesn't have to screen that cargo.

So essentially the box, for example, is taken by FedEx, given to UA, and loaded on the plane without receiving any screening.
Old Jun 22, 07, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget View Post
Some of you are really into the "shoot the messenger" thing, huh?
When is the last time you talked to Glenn Tilton about your missed UA connection?
Old Jun 22, 07, 5:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by kbins View Post
Let's be clear - she wasn't kept off the plane for having the breastmilk. They would have let her through if she dumped the bag of milk. She chose to leave the airport (taking her milk with her) rather than dump the milk.
This makes no sense. Having bagged breastmilk was PRECISELY why she was kept of the a/c.

What part of "would have let her through if {condition X was met}" does anyone not understand to be equivalent to "kept off the plane for {condition X being met}"?

Unbelievable ...
Old Jun 22, 07, 5:36 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by mkt View Post
freaking ridiculous... this morning at MCO I actually felt bad for some unaccompanied minors whose mother had packed food for. One of them was crying that the mean TSA man was taking her milk away.

Thanks Kip! You're a .................
Idiot.
I'll say it.
Old Jun 22, 07, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Silver, HH Silver
This is a personal issue with me - I made a few trips, 2 international ones, as a lactating mom and I've transported breastmilk dealing with the current stupid restrictions.
I'm impressed. I transported *before* the current Liquid Limiting Paranoia. It was obvious that my previous strategy (carry-on cooler full of <gasp> liquids) wouldn't work under the new regime.

I totally agree with your later point, though. I was typically carrying back 60-90 oz in 6 oz bags after a relatively short trip. 3 oz doesn't even tip the scales.

RDUWanderer
Old Jun 22, 07, 7:32 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boy this thread just really made me angry with the new rules. It's hard a hell to pump breast milk especially in a place you don't feel comfortable in and the poor woman would probably have other charges for feeding the infant in a public place (i.e. in flight). I still can't get over that personal lube was always not covered in the fluids ban but breast milk is! I sure hope that the fluid ban gets repealed and soon.

msv
Old Jun 22, 07, 7:50 pm

3 weeks ago in CLT check point B the lady in front of me had what appeared to be greater than 3 oz of breastmilk in a container that looked about 12 ounces.

The TSA agent asked if she had a baby with her. She said she has a baby waiting for her at LGA. The agent let her through with it.

I said nothing b/c i think it is a stupid rule.

Last week the guy in front of me had his liquids in a gallon bag. TSA agents didn't care. Again I said nothing because i think it is a stupid rule to begin with.

I had to wait 5 minutes for a bag check in CLT last week b/c I left a coke bottle in my bag. Held up the line and everything! Seems like selective enforcement against me and it held up a very long security line because some lady was dilly dallying instead of responding to the words "BAG CHECK" 10 times...at least she did change her gloves before touching my week old diet coke...
Old Jun 22, 07, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL GM/CRC, AA Gold, UA Premier
Size of the container is a threat? BUT, I can take any size of container I want so long as its empty?

Hmmmm well couldnt I carry through a bunch of 3ml containers full of god knows what, and have 10 accomplices do the same, and fill up the "master container" from all the 3oz bottles? IDIOTS.

We are so damn afraid in this country to hurt someones feelings and actually use behavior patterning / profiling to pick suspicious people out of a crowd, a method that's proven to work. God forbid we offend someone because they meet a profile and we pull them aside and then get called a racist/sexist/religious discrimination or whatever. No, it's SO much better to make 100% sure that breast milk does not make it through!
Old Jun 22, 07, 9:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
How utterly stupid. =/ Even infants aren't exempt from this stupidity the TSA breeds.

The sad thing is, I initially thought this so-called liquid ban would be only temporary... and now it seems to be permament.
Old Jun 22, 07, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
A Chicago TV station has a poll on their website, http://cbs2chicago.com/
It's on the right side, just below the ads.

Currently its running 80% yes, a woman should be able to carry breast milk when not accompanied by her baby, and 20% no.

So, 20% of the people logging onto that website are complete idiots or have been brainwashed by the Kipper.

Oh, on the TV news they quoted a TSA spokeshole as saying it isn't the amount of liquid, it's the size of the container. It seems she had 3 oz in a baggie which was bigger than one quart.
-----------
edit: the results are now 53% to 47%, so after the story ran on the 10 p.m. news loads of TSA supporters logged on and voted against breast milk. Amazing.

Last edited by Gargoyle; Jun 22, 07 at 10:32 pm
Old Jun 22, 07, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
She shouldn't have pumped in the AA office; she should have gone inside the secure area and then pumped. If she had, she could have carried the milk on her flight and to her destination.
From the report on cbs2chicago.com:
She said American Airlines security and officials came to her aid and told the TSA staffers that she had just pumped breast milk in their office. In response, Cirillo-Tarica said, the TSA officers asked, "How do you know she pumped, did you watch her pump?"
Liquids are not a credible threat to aviation security. The entire liquid ban is bogus, so there shouldn't even be a discussion of where or how she pumped.
Old Jun 22, 07, 11:43 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post

Liquids are not a credible threat to aviation security. The entire liquid ban is bogus, so there shouldn't even be a discussion of where or how she pumped.
Bingo!

Buying into the Liquid Threat is a sure sign of gross ignorance and stupidity. What a stupid nation we have become!

And people wonder why little Jimmy can't read or little Susie can't do math. It's because their parents are ignorant fools who fear liquids and the Boogeyman. This culture of idiots and idiocy needs to be curbed.
Old Jun 22, 07, 11:59 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post

And people wonder why little Jimmy can't read or little Susie can't do math. It's because their parents are ignorant fools who fear liquids and the Boogeyman. This culture of idiots and idiocy needs to be curbed.
I have a friend who says "We have a generation of idiots raising a generation of greater idiots." The more I see the less I can argue.

People believe what they see on TV. We live in an alternate universe, not unlike the Twilight Zone. They are told what to think and most of their ideas and "values" are molded by what's on the tube. The sheep are perfectly content staying in the dark, so long as they can be assured some level of "safety" and comfort.
Old Jun 23, 07, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by viking407rob View Post
I have a friend who says "We have a generation of idiots raising a generation of greater idiots." The more I see the less I can argue.

People believe what they see on TV. We live in an alternate universe, not unlike the Twilight Zone. They are told what to think and most of their ideas and "values" are molded by what's on the tube. The sheep are perfectly content staying in the dark, so long as they can be assured some level of "safety" and comfort.
It's sad to see this crap happening. Amongst other things, it makes me lose my faith in humanity. It's not going to be some great evil that kills us, it will be our own stupidity.

The only thing I can really do is raise my son not to be an ignorant fool and hope that he and I can help make the world a better place.
Old Jun 23, 07, 2:26 am
Suspended

The woman still has the breasts and they contain milk no? Why would she bother with this and not just breast feed on the plane? She could easily pack a shawl so it would be a private affair.

Search this Thread