FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   TSA "professional" cursing at SFO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/705643-tsa-professional-cursing-sfo.html)

12172003 Jun 19, 2007 9:36 am

TSA "professional" cursing at SFO

I passed through the KSFO Terminal 1 security leading to Delta gates Monday June 18 at 9:30am. While standing waiting for my luggage to be xrayed right after passing through the metal detector, I overheard a male TSA "professional" use the word "schitt" outloud. I'm not offended by it but I found it odd. 20 seconds later I heard him say it again. I spoke to the checkpoint security manager "Nyuh" (or something like that) about it and he his reaction was "well I really don't give a schitt." Some professional attitude they have. Should I bother reporting this?

(then got overcharged at the juice stand at the end of the terminal and got an attitude over that, then the plane was late a half hour with no announcements, then.....about 10 things, a weird day).

LessO2 Jun 19, 2007 9:51 am

Originally Posted by 12172003 (Post 7925903)
I passed through the KSFO Terminal 1 security leading to Delta gates Monday June 18 at 9:30am. While standing waiting for my luggage to be xrayed right after passing through the metal detector, I overheard a male TSA "professional" use the word "schitt" outloud. I'm not offended by it but I found it odd. 20 seconds later I heard him say it again. I spoke to the checkpoint security manager "Nyuh" (or something like that) about it and he his reaction was "well I really don't give a schitt." Some professional attitude they have. Should I bother reporting this?

(then got overcharged at the juice stand at the end of the terminal and got an attitude over that, then the plane was late a half hour with no announcements, then.....about 10 things, a weird day).

Absolutely. If you did it, there would be a good likelihood you would have been detained.

Contact the airport FSD, the DL GSC and airport management.

12172003 Jun 19, 2007 10:01 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 7925976)
Contact the airport FSD, the DL GSC and airport management.

Where do I find their contact info? I'll be passing through SFO on the return flight in a few days. Are these positions there 24 hours a day as I might be returning late at night.

correct me if I'm wrong (I should know this)
FSD - flight service director
GSC - ground security chief....with the airline?

thanks

whirledtraveler Jun 19, 2007 10:36 am

Originally Posted by 12172003 (Post 7925903)

Slight inaccuracy. There are no professional TSA employees. Screener is not a recognized profession.

ButIsItArt Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

No professional should ever use profanity before the public, with the exception of professional wrestlers and hookers

law dawg Jun 19, 2007 11:57 am

Originally Posted by 12172003 (Post 7926037)
Where do I find their contact info? I'll be passing through SFO on the return flight in a few days. Are these positions there 24 hours a day as I might be returning late at night.

correct me if I'm wrong (I should know this)
FSD - flight service director
GSC - ground security chief....with the airline?

thanks

FSD-Federal Security Director. Works for the government.
GSC-Ground Security Coordinator. Works for the airline.

TheRoadie Jun 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ButIsItArt (Post 7926292)
No professional should ever use profanity before the public, with the exception of professional wrestlers and hookers

... and George Carlin, Lewis Black, and so forth.

J-M Jun 19, 2007 1:08 pm

I thought SFO's security is private, not TSA. Of course, that might get in the way of a good rant.

LessO2 Jun 19, 2007 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by J-M (Post 7927098)
I thought SFO's security is private, not TSA. Of course, that might get in the way of a good rant.

Private, with federal oversight.

Superguy Jun 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 7927130)
Private, with federal oversight.

Exactly. Same stupidity. Only difference is who signs the paycheck.

We Will Never Forget Jun 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 7927170)
Exactly. Same stupidity. Only difference is who signs the paycheck.

So where are the privatization posters to defend this one?

Superguy Jun 19, 2007 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 7927520)
So where are the privatization posters to defend this one?

The argument is probably going back to a pre-9/11 screening style. That isn't a bad idea actually. Screening wasn't what failed on 9/11. Even some FAMs on here have said that. A lot of it had to do with other vulnerabilities and procedures that needed to be addressed and to a large extent, were addressed.

We Will Never Forget Jun 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 7927548)
The argument is probably going back to a pre-9/11 screening style. That isn't a bad idea actually. Screening wasn't what failed on 9/11. Even some FAMs on here have said that. A lot of it had to do with other vulnerabilities and procedures that needed to be addressed and to a large extent, were addressed.

I distinctly remember several people saying that privatization would solve a lot of the problems. There have been numerous threads on this topic. My contention is that you will have the same people regardless of the employer.

I think pre 9-11 screening might still be pretty effective, given the additonal measures we have now. ie. hardened cockpit doors, restrictions on tools, FFDO's, much better intel

Superguy Jun 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget (Post 7927631)
I distinctly remember several people saying that privatization would solve a lot of the problems. There have been numerous threads on this topic. My contention is that you will have the same people regardless of the employer.

I think pre 9-11 screening might still be pretty effective, given the additonal measures we have now. ie. hardened cockpit doors, restrictions on tools, FFDO's, much better intel

Bocastephen provided an excellent plan for private security. I'd look for it but I'm about to leave work.

It's true you may have the same people, but I believe that there will be more accountability if the private company doesn't address security shortcomings and customer service in that they could lose the contract ... accountability that really doesn't exist today.

FliesWay2Much Jun 19, 2007 4:04 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Originally Posted by J-M

Depending upon the type of contract, the TSA contracting officer can penalize the contractor if there is an appropriate award fee criterion. something tells me "I doubt it."