FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   "What about my constitutional rights?" And they said "you don't have any." (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/705277-what-about-my-constitutional-rights-they-said-you-dont-have-any.html)

whirledtraveler Jun 18, 2007 12:16 pm

"What about my constitutional rights?" And they said "you don't have any."

http://wikiprotest.com/blog/index.ph...dont-have-any/

A 57 year old woman chaperoning a school field trip accidentally left a butter knife in her carry on bags for the trip home. According to TSA employees Cecilia Beaman is now a terrorist. No due process, no appeal, hell, they don’t even give her any paperwork or a receipt for the confiscated property.

From the article:

“You’ve committed a felony,” Beaman says a security screener announced. “And you’re considered a terrorist.”

Beaman says she was told her name would go on a terrorist watch-list and that she would have to pay a $500 fine.

“I’m a 57-year-old woman who is taking care of 37 kids,” she told them. “I’m not gonna commit a terrorist act.” Beaman says they took information from her Washington drivers license and confiscated and photographed the knife according to standard operating procedure.

She says screeners refused to give her paperwork or documentation of her violation, documentation of the pending fine, or a copy of the photograph of the knife.

“They said ‘no’ and they said it’s a national security issue. And I said what about my constitutional rights? And they said ‘not at this point … you don’t have any’.”

kokonutz Jun 18, 2007 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler (Post 7921042)

When will the video of this incident appear on the TSA website!? :mad:

uva185 Jun 18, 2007 12:44 pm

A butter knife??? I wouldn't even classify a butter knife as a knife! Hey TSA Mythbusters, why don't you put the photograph of said knife on the new section of your website. :rolleyes:

Wally Bird Jun 18, 2007 12:50 pm

KOMO News did reach a spokesperson with the Transportation Security Administration for comment.
They said they did not have record of Beaman's confrontation but did admit that TSA screeners are, by design, becoming more strict.
"TSA recognizes that most passengers who carry prohibited items do so without any ill intent.
TSA does not impose fines on the vast number of passengers who inadvertently carry prohibited items."
So this was just a TSAss being "strict" by threatening and lying to this woman ? :mad:

Yeah, c'mon mythBuster where's the tape so we can "judge" ? Huh ?

:mad: again

Superguy Jun 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 7921252)
It was on local TV this morning: http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4153866.html (that's Des Moines, Wa. not Iowa)So this was just a TSAss being "strict" by threatening and lying to this woman ? :mad:

Yeah, c'mon mythBuster where's the tape so we can "judge" ? Huh ?

:mad: again

Absolutely. Fair is fair, right?

And let's not forget that that's what MKEBound was told. Obviously that's crap.

I hope the ACLU gets in on this. TSO's REALLY need to be educated that the constitution still applies at checkpoints. :mad:

bseller Jun 18, 2007 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 7921252)
It was on local TV this morning

Take one deep breath. Call me in the morning.

The woman's account:
“You’ve committed a felony,” Beaman says a security screener announced. “And you’re considered a terrorist.”
Beaman says she was told her name would go on a terrorist watch-list and that she would have to pay a $500 fine.

The story as reported by TV:
"They said they did not have record of Beaman's confrontation but did admit that TSA screeners are, by design, becoming more strict.
"TSA recognizes that most passengers who carry prohibited items do so without any ill intent.

Sounds like a bad case of a power tripping TSO and a woman who can't recall "exactly" what was said to her. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Best, Dave

Superguy Jun 18, 2007 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by bseller (Post 7921525)
Take one deep breath. Call me in the morning.

The woman's account:

The story as reported by TV:
"They said they did not have record of Beaman's confrontation but did admit that TSA screeners are, by design, becoming more strict.

Sounds like a bad case of a power tripping TSO and a woman who can't recall "exactly" what was said to her. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Best, Dave

Do you remember exactly word for word what someone told you this morning?

I don't see how she should be discounted by what she said. She didn't give any indication of waiviering or anything that appeared contradictory. :td:

And it's not the first time TSA "had no record of" an incident when asked.

Seriously, let's see the video on it. If she's making it up or wasn't as she said it was, the video should vindicate TSA, right?

Lurker1999 Jun 18, 2007 2:11 pm

Video will only be released if they think it could possibly help them avoid more public shame and embarassment. Otherwise the usual bureaucratic stonewalling and "we have no record of this" will prevail.

PDX-PLT Jun 18, 2007 2:21 pm

Butter knives are not on the list of prohibited items. And what TSA agent would say "you're considered a terrorist"? Something smells fishy about this story.

Wally Bird Jun 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Never mind.

Wally Bird Jun 18, 2007 2:30 pm

WTF ? It's a TWO YEAR OLD story

http://michael.ubiqgen.com/2005/06/08/the-new-red-scare

I suppose KOMO decided to re-run it as a sippy cup follow-up.

Had me fooled :o

P****s. Now I'm really :mad:

doober Jun 18, 2007 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 7921769)
http://michael.ubiqgen.com/2005/06/08/the-new-red-scare

I suppose KOMO decided to re-run it as a sippy cup follow-up.

Had me fooled :o

P****s. Now I'm really :mad:

Here I was beginning to think that I'm prescient...drats!

Superguy Jun 18, 2007 2:35 pm

Did seem vaguely familiar now that you mention it.

Would have been nice to see a follow up ... did she get fined?

Wally Bird Jun 18, 2007 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by doober (Post 7921788)
Here I was beginning to think that I'm prescient...drats!

Deja vu all over again.

SpaceCoastBill Jun 18, 2007 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 7921381)
Absolutely. Fair is fair, right?

And let's not forget that that's what MKEBound was told. Obviously that's crap.

I hope the ACLU gets in on this. TSO's REALLY need to be educated that the constitution still applies at checkpoints. :mad:

Which constitutional right did they violate?

The search was subject to the standard security procedures.

She was only detained (from what I see) long enough to acertain her identity and then released.

While the verbage the TSO's used may be a bit abrasive, I dont see any constitutional violations here.