Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Economist: Watch That Twitch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:48 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So can someone with Tourette Syndrome or someone with a medical condition that causes them to sweat profusely claim unlawful discrimination when targetted by security and law enforcement on the basis of their medical condition?
Or what if you've just had the Kung Pao? (George likes his chicken spicy, you know!)
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Teacher49
There is good news and there is bad news.

The good news is intelligent people who are very highly trained can pick out many behaviours through reading gesture - whether of face or body. It goes much deeper than observing is someone is merely twitching.

The work of Dr. Paul Erdman in classifying facial expressions and gestrure over the past 30 years demonstrates this pretty well.

The bad news is that you must have trainable people who undergo long and careful education in the methodology. This means that it will never be implemented above the "paint by numbers" level thorugh group as large and as .... er, ... well not intelligent as the average TSA screener.

Just for fun, try this superficial facial test. http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...es/index.shtml

Important, too, is to remember that these techniques do not enable complete mind reading ... but they can be a very important help in flagging people for more scrutiny. On of the most important things to train is respect for the limitations of the training!
Teacher49, it's Paul Ekman, not Erdman.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Thanks. And I own have read several of his books, too!

I am always calling my children by the wrong name, too.

Paul Erdman, of course, is an ex-banker/novelist who writes (wrote?) financial thrillers.

Funny thing is that I revisited the site linked to just yesterday inspired by watching a wave of YouTube clips of ranking administration officials recorded before the invasion of Iraq proclaiming that we might be under the danger of a nuclear attack from Saddam. Looking for tells.

There is another link to experiments regarding spotting a person telling the truth vs. a lie: http://www.richardwiseman.com/quirkology/lyingexpt.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.