Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

News Report: Traveler now "donate" personal care products to homeless.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt

Just heard a radio news report this morning that our local area state senator has brokered a deal in which the hundreds of pounds of toiletries, water, lotions and so forth that are confiscated by TSA at our local airport will be donated to a local homeless shelter. He is crowing about how all the many unused, unopened "high quality" products will make a nice difference for those in need.

All this begs the question. If we are confident that the seized materials are safe, why are they being confiscated in the first place? Isn't the perception that we just don't know if they are dangerous or not, so better safe than sorry? If TSA is concerned that these items are too dangerous for the owner/traveler to keep, why are we endangering the poor and needy? Is any testing going to be done before unloading the stuff on the local shelters?

An airport official was quoted as saying this will save tons of materials per year from being dumped into our overcrowded landfill. I think that is the real motivation here.

You'd think the policy makers would see the inanity of all this but I suppose that is giving far more credit to the politicians than they deserve.

I don't think forced confiscation and redistribution of anything of value constitutes a "donation."
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by abmj-jr

All this begs the question. If we are confident that the seized materials are safe, why are they being confiscated in the first place? Isn't the perception that we just don't know if they are dangerous or not, so better safe than sorry? If TSA is concerned that these items are too dangerous for the owner/traveler to keep, why are we endangering the poor and needy? Is any testing going to be done before unloading the stuff on the local shelters?
I hope you write your Senator and ask this very question.

http://www.senate.gov/ - click on "find my Senator" in the upper right hand corner and be linked to their email address.

or http://www.senate.ca.gov/ if it's your CA State Senator
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
I don't think forced confiscation and redistribution of anything of value constitutes a "donation."
Theft and robbery come to mind.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow -- Government-directed redistribution of wealth...

... How so quaintly Communist...
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:39 am

I still find it hard to believe that travelers are trying to carry products that are not permitted(duh)...that's not to say that some people (like the poor sippy cup mother) aren't forced into confiscation of permitted products...but 'donating' them?? Bad, bad idea....I'm all for minimizing landfill consumption, but that's ludicris.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The verboten liquids only become explosive when mixed together, right? So as long as the homeless rinse the shampoo out of their hair before applying the conditioner, they won't be in any danger.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by swag
The verboten liquids only become explosive when mixed together, right? So as long as the homeless rinse the shampoo out of their hair before applying the conditioner, they won't be in any danger.
lol
Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Just heard a radio news report this morning that our local area state senator has brokered a deal in which the hundreds of pounds of toiletries, water, lotions and so forth that are confiscated by TSA at our local airport will be donated to a local homeless shelter. He is crowing about how all the many unused, unopened "high quality" products will make a nice difference for those in need.
Senator Clueless gets an "F" on my Phil 101 exam for conflating the concepts of "security threat" and "charitable donation." Dummkopf!

Or, as my 12-year-old rent-A-kid might say, "F" is for f***tard.

Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Either the stuff is hazardous ... or it's not!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
And yet, Senator Clueless (I like that, it fits), who is positioning for a run for Lt. Governor wants "to see this at every airport."

Link to newspaper story this morning: http://www.fresnobee.com/263/story/60033.html
Old Jun 15, 2007, 4:26 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
What an idiot. Must want to be the next Kip Hawley.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Maybe they just think no one will complain if a homeless person gets poisoned or explodes in the shower. Afterall, they're just the homeless
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:07 pm

Just the latest version of security theater. Let's enact some irrational rules, bully the rest of the world to follow those rules and then try to fix the problem created by yet another stupid idea.

Welcome to your tax dollars at work in the era of global security.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Either the stuff is hazardous ... or it's not!
I have to agree with you here. Makes the rest of us look bad for following the procedures assigned to us.

Same idiots (speaking about Congress in general) who mandated that lighters be prohibited.

Please do write your Congresscritter. I'd be more than happy to see the policy change.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Nothing is "forced" and nothing is "confiscated".

There are always alternatives.

And if Kippy's theory is correct, we will have homeless people blowing themselves up left and right. That's a lot cheaper than the drug and mental health services they need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.