FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Screened at gate by TSA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/703543-screened-gate-tsa.html)

doctall41 Jun 12, 2007 9:47 pm

Screened at gate by TSA

OK, I was standing second in the A line at a Southwest gate in Dallas. I needed to be in the front so I could get an exit row seat, given my need for legroom. As I gave the GA my BP, two TSA agents stopped me and said I had been selected for additional screening. As they are wanding me and looking through my bag, I told them they were ruining my chance for an exit row. I was pleasant.
The man wanding and patting me down found some object in my pocket and asked what they were. I had snuck two small mini-bar sized bottles of rum in my front pockets when I went through the WTMD at security (plastic lid, so no metal there). I figured for sure the guy at the gate would take them from me, but I showed them to him and he handed them back to me and sent me on my way. I had no baggie, and he had to assume I brought them from outside. You can't buy those inside the airport.

by the way, I still got the exit row!

DL4EVR Jun 12, 2007 9:54 pm

Were your bottles less than 3.4 oz?? If they weren't....or even if they were)...this is just one more example as to why these random "security" checks are futile.

MikeMpls Jun 12, 2007 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by doctall41 (Post 7894193)
As they are wanding me and looking through my bag, I told them they were ruining my chance for an exit row.

Forget the exit row, ask them to put on clean gloves. Always! :)

viking407rob Jun 13, 2007 3:26 am

Originally Posted by doctall41 (Post 7894193)
OK, I was standing second in the A line at a Southwest gate in Dallas. I needed to be in the front so I could get an exit row seat, given my need for legroom. As I gave the GA my BP, two TSA agents stopped me and said I had been selected for additional screening. As they are wanding me and looking through my bag, I told them they were ruining my chance for an exit row. I was pleasant.
The man wanding and patting me down found some object in my pocket and asked what they were. I had snuck two small mini-bar sized bottles of rum in my front pockets when I went through the WTMD at security (plastic lid, so no metal there). I figured for sure the guy at the gate would take them from me, but I showed them to him and he handed them back to me and sent me on my way. I had no baggie, and he had to assume I brought them from outside. You can't buy those inside the airport.

by the way, I still got the exit row!

On a few short distance flights, I've actually filled my token baggie with tiny bottles of booze. If you are flying coach they sure come in handy, as opposed to paying five bucks for a lukewarm alcoholic beverage and plastic cup.

vassilipan Jun 13, 2007 4:43 am

Were you singled out for the search or were others being selected also?

Spiff Jun 13, 2007 5:04 am

File a complaint. Gate screening is useless harassment and those responsible for it should be severely punished.

doctall41 Jun 13, 2007 7:40 am

Originally Posted by vassilipan (Post 7895090)
Were you singled out for the search or were others being selected also?

I'm not sure who else might have been selected behind me. since there were about 100+ pax behind me, I don't know if they screened anyone else

doctall41 Jun 13, 2007 7:43 am

Originally Posted by DL4EVR (Post 7894230)
Were your bottles less than 3.4 oz?? If they weren't....or even if they were)...this is just one more example as to why these random "security" checks are futile.

they don't have the oz. listed on the bottles. they were small bottles. my question is how does the screener think I got them thru security? I guess he assumed i used a baggie.

I hate the baggie carnival worse than I hate the shoe carnival!

goalie Jun 13, 2007 11:15 am

ok, let's see....
  • the op was selceted for secondary gate screening by the tsa
  • the bad and evil op ;) had two mini-bar bottles in his pocket and not in a baggie (and admits he/she did not have a baggie).
  • the tsa "maroons" found the very dangerous and threat to our national security items
  • the tsa screeners gave said dangerous liquids back to the op and allowed him/her to continue on their way.

i feel safer now, don't you :rolleyes:

doctall41 Jun 14, 2007 7:57 am

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 7896803)
ok, let's see....
  • the op was selceted for secondary gate screening by the tsa
  • the bad and evil op ;) had two mini-bar bottles in his pocket and not in a baggie (and admits he/she did not have a baggie).
  • the tsa "maroons" found the very dangerous and threat to our national security items
  • the tsa screeners gave said dangerous liquids back to the op and allowed him/her to continue on their way.

i feel safer now, don't you :rolleyes:

exactly.
what was the point?

goalie Jun 14, 2007 11:12 am

Originally Posted by doctall41 (Post 7901604)
exactly.
what was the point?

doctall41 <-----bad and evil op, bad and evil op. SSSShame on you for reporting SSSSuch flaws in our SSSSecurity SSSSySSSStem you made me feel leSSSSssss SSSSafe, it's all your fault....bad and evil op ;)
<wheeeeeeee and off to the penalty box for being silly>

Points Scrounger Jun 14, 2007 12:14 pm

I am hoping that this might strike even the staunchest Kettles as: "Don't you trust yourself in getting it right at the checkpoint?"