Old Jun 10, 07, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
No Fly List - on CBS 60 Minutes 10 JUN 07

Last edited by RoyalFlush; Apr 4, 09 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 10, 07, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Hope it's a good expose. While I'm skeptical it'll change anything, I certainly hope it can open some eyes out there.
Old Jun 10, 07, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Kip is going to go over the No-Fly list and cut 20,000 names off it. Maybe that will keep him so busy he won't have time to come up with any other great ideas!!
Old Jun 10, 07, 6:20 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Hope it's a good expose. While I'm skeptical it'll change anything, I certainly hope it can open some eyes out there.

I've been watching it as I type this. It certainly served to make Kip Hawley look stupid, incompetent and unaware of what was going on. I'd hate to be named Robert Johnson. Those poor guys.
Old Jun 10, 07, 6:25 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
This was great. It was nice seeing Kip looking so uncomfortable.

He is a clueless lying idiot.
Old Jun 10, 07, 6:31 pm

This story first aired last October

Originally Posted by Superguy View Post

This reported originally aired on "60 Minutes" last October.....it's the same
story broadcast back then, with an update at the end of the piece.

The annoying FBI woman, or whoever she is, is now working in the private sector. Meanwhile, Kippie claims he whittled the 45,000 names down to 22,000 names, so now only people sharing the same name with 22,000 wanted persons are being harassed instead of people sharing the same name with 45,000 wanted persons. Whoopee.
Old Jun 10, 07, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed

Last edited by RoyalFlush; Apr 4, 09 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 10, 07, 6:52 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by viking407rob View Post
I'd hate to be named Robert Johnson....
Robert Johnson? King of the Delta Blues singers? Poisoned to death by a jealous husband in 1938? I can't believe a great American icon like that is on the no-fly list!
Old Jun 10, 07, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Are there still people who think "60 Minutes" is relevant? Show me something not heavily edited to fit the producer's premise.
Old Jun 11, 07, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Did you guys saw on the TV with TSA Kip Hawley? I remember last time what happened those stories last year in August 2006 when they arrested around 11 or 12 terrorist carrying liquid explosives onboard about 4 or 10 commercial jet on BA during on the transatlantic flights from U.K. It was changed the restrictions liquid, gels and other with rule 3-1-1. What about TSA will ever adjusted liquid bans? I'm sure Kip Hawley will have review about liquid rule will increased 4oz is good enough for that. Please give it chance for Mr. Kip Hawley need better improved aviation security. He will understandable the passengers will bring more those news.

Do they think TSA will ever allowable bring the bottled water and whatever. Just please do it right thing to do the passengers they letting bring to security checkpoint. It has nothing wrong the bottled water. They never have anything more object problems the bottled water. They will understandable if TSA need changed the rules immediately. It was no evidence the bottled water at all. Just please let it lifts immediately. Just please put in your pocket but, no one will see it when you go through metal detector.
Old Jun 11, 07, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush View Post
Bottom line, CBS obtained a copy of the No Fly List. It contains 44,000 names as of March 2007. It cost $144 Milion. A Former FBI agent (the guy on Farenheit 9/11) was leaving the bureau as it was created. He said it was designed as a "cover your rear end document."

Its creation was oversaw by the FBI's Donna Bucella (sp?). She has since left the FBI. CBS's Steve Kroft interviewed her and Kip "I am still an Idiot" Hawley. Kroft ripped both of them new ones. Lots of "oh um ahs" type answers.

Yeah, the FBI lady who left for the private sector probably got out before this fiasco backfires in their faces. She probably figured with all of the expected "transition" that her career would be over by 2009. I'd almost be willing to bet she is one of the people who was politically appointed. You have to give her credit for being shrewd, she made a name for herself in the high profile world of travel security and then went on to the private sector where she's no doubt making more money than a government job would pay. She might even be a security director for an airline or a consultant. It wouldn't be unheard of....
Old Jun 11, 07, 6:18 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Did you guys saw on the TV with TSA Kip Hawley? I remember last time what happened those stories last year in August 2006 when they arrested around 11 or 12 terrorist carrying liquid explosives onboard about 4 or 10 commercial jet on BA during on the transatlantic flights from U.K. It was changed the restrictions liquid, gels and other with rule 3-1-1. What about TSA will ever adjusted liquid bans? I'm sure Kip Hawley will have review about liquid rule will increased 4oz is good enough for that. Please give it chance for Mr. Kip Hawley need better improved aviation security. He will understandable the passengers will bring more those news.

Do they think TSA will ever allowable bring the bottled water and whatever. Just please do it right thing to do the passengers they letting bring to security checkpoint. It has nothing wrong the bottled water. They never have anything more object problems the bottled water. They will understandable if TSA need changed the rules immediately. It was no evidence the bottled water at all. Just please let it lifts immediately. Just please put in your pocket but, no one will see it when you go through metal detector.
There were no liquid explosives among those arrested.

It was a plot based on bad, if not impossible science.

Kippie and his fellow idiots over in the UK ate it up and instituted the ban, in spite of the impossibility of this plot.

Maybe someome will "plot" to blow up a plane with a t-shirt. Then, Idiot Boy Hawley will probably claim 1)it's possible to use t-shirts to blow up planes and 2)all t-shirts are now banned. That's the kind of thinking you get from idiots like Kippie for $7+ Billion.
Old Jun 11, 07, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Where Are They Now?" -- Donna Bucella

Originally Posted by viking407rob View Post
Yeah, the FBI lady who left for the private sector probably got out before this fiasco backfires in their faces. She probably figured with all of the expected "transition" that her career would be over by 2009. I'd almost be willing to bet she is one of the people who was politically appointed. You have to give her credit for being shrewd, she made a name for herself in the high profile world of travel security and then went on to the private sector where she's no doubt making more money than a government job would pay. She might even be a security director for an airline or a consultant. It wouldn't be unheard of....
She's done quite well. She lasted about 10 months with Bank of America and now has a new job. I guess I need to figure out how to make an arrogant idiot of myself on 60 Minutes....

http://www.quote.com/qc/news/story.a...0_PRN_94306945
Old Jun 11, 07, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
She's done quite well. She lasted about 10 months with Bank of America and now has a new job. I guess I need to figure out how to make an arrogant idiot of myself on 60 Minutes....

http://www.quote.com/qc/news/story.a...0_PRN_94306945
Kinda makes me glad that I don't have an account there now. It would be something if customers would boycott these companies when Donna and her ilk transition to the private sector.
Old Jun 11, 07, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
My favorite part of the piece was how they were all about being totally inclusive on the list, and how there was no way they wanted to pare down the list to be absolutely positive that none of these people get on board a plane. Then they had to explain why none of the suspects in the whole liquid bomber thing were on the list even though they had been under suspicion for months. Their names were "classified" and they didn't want foreign countries to know they were suspects.

Excuse me? We don't want to let the people who keep terrorists off planes know that some people are suspected of plotting to blow up a plane? I actually agree that you need to keep that information secret, but that also means that the list is useless since the most likely suspects are not on the list at all.

I was also shocked at the $144MM price tag. How does it cost over $3200 per name to administer a list of the names of dead terrorists?

Search this Thread