Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Question for TSOs (or others) re: rationale for wanding/patdown procedure at ORD?

Question for TSOs (or others) re: rationale for wanding/patdown procedure at ORD?

Old Jun 5, 07, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

I had the misfortune of connecting in ORD and going from an international to a domestic flight, which meant I had to reclear security.

I got to the WTMD and realized that I didn't have socks on, so I put on those slippers that the airlines give you when you fly internationally (essentially as thin as socks). I went to walk through the WTMD and the TSO practically ran me over trying to prevent me from going through the WTMD. I told her that, due to my highly contagious foot disease, I was not going through the WTMD barefoot (This got a lot of interesting looks from other pax.), but she was welcome to wand my feet to her heart's content. Since I didn't have medical papers from my doctor, she called over a supervisor and I was told that I would have to get a full wanding and pat-down. I didn't alarm the WTMD.

Here's my question for the TSOs on the board: Procedure is procedure, but if I didn't alarm the WTMD, what's the point of doing a full body scan and patdown? Clearly, I had nothing dangerous on me, and it would have taken no more than two seconds to wand my feet, if anyone was that interested. The whole process took about ten minutes. I just read another thread about there not being enough TSOs around because they are on break, but wouldn't it make more sense to ignore procedure or speed things up? I asked these questions of the TSO who was wanding/patting me, and while he was sympathetic, he didn't have a good answer.

I would imagine that this nonsense makes even the TSOs angry.

Mike
Old Jun 5, 07, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Rationale is simple: there is none.
Old Jun 5, 07, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
I would imagine that this nonsense makes even the TSOs angry.
No, some ....

Ah what the hell, I'm in a good mood so I'll let it go
Old Jun 5, 07, 1:18 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had you disposed of the slippers immideately after doing through the WTMD, it wouldn't have been as big an issue.

It sounds like they gave you a full secondary when in fact they should have treated you as someone who cant remove footwear due to a disability. I think the SOP for that is an ETD swab of the shoes.

You may find it more convenient to carry disposable booties to wear rather then say that you can't remove your footwear.

Your fellow travelers appreciate your courtesy as demonstrated in your OP.
Old Jun 5, 07, 9:56 pm

Programs: TSA
ITs called retaliatory secondary.
Old Jun 5, 07, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by eyecue View Post
I thought TSO's didn't do such a thing.
Old Jun 5, 07, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
They didn't like your answer. They want everyone to listen w/o question.
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:09 am

Why, of COURSE this kind of nonsense makes even the TSOs angry! That's why they have the dignity and common sense never to work for any agency condoning public examples, coercion, or blind adherence to rules which are obviously insane.

I'll never again knowingly let any of them near MY feet. I worry about kids and grandfolks, too.

Wake up, mikeef.
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by eyecue View Post
yup tho mine has a twist....

i never alarm and always submit to secondary because of my orthotics and have no problem with either a swab 'n go or a full pat (just wish it was consistent from airport to airport ). it's when they start a bag search after simply carrying my bags to the secondary table without any explanation or the "bag check yell" that i get pi$$ed and draw the line.
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Had to be Terminal 3 (AA, DL). They are nasty there.
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Yup, T3. Person at the WTMD was quite nasty. Person who did the pat-down was fine. Polite, friendly and willing to answer my questions, even though I didn't like the answers. Humorous moment was when he told me everything that he was going to do and then asked me if it was okay. Reminded me of when I was in college, which was when universities started making the big push about asking your partner if it was okay every time you wanted to do something physical.

Mike
Old Jun 7, 07, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Extremlely! I have found them to be far worse than anywhere else.

Search this Thread