FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   "I'm here to shoot a pilot" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/698167-im-here-shoot-pilot.html)

lianluo May 29, 2007 7:29 pm

All I can say is we should consider the source: The Guardian.

HeHateY May 29, 2007 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by lianluo (Post 7817521)
All I can say is we should consider the source: The Guardian.

Actually it is from the Observer and most of what I have read in those papers was true.

Plus they are not owned by U.S. Citizen Rupert Murdoch

CrazyOne May 29, 2007 8:36 pm

I saw the title of this thread and was going back and forth on what I thought it would be. First thought was the movie. Then I thought "No, that's stupid, nobody doing filming would use that term in that area, so it was just some nutcase." Well, go with the first instinct, I guess.

Seriously, though, we all know how ridiculous this is. I mean, because of course someone who wanted to shoot a pilot with a gun instead of a camera would just up and say that was the purpose of the visit....

htb May 30, 2007 12:13 am

Originally Posted by CrazyOne (Post 7817868)
Seriously, though, we all know how ridiculous this is. I mean, because of course someone who wanted to shoot a pilot with a gun instead of a camera would just up and say that was the purpose of the visit....

Most likely the immigration officer knew that as well and he was detained for making a joke about security. Remember all those signs "no joking allowed"? That will teach him a lesson... :rolleyes:

HTB.

Spiff May 30, 2007 12:22 am

There just isn't enough corporal punishment for abuse of authority in this country. :(

PhlyingRPh May 30, 2007 12:22 am

Absolutely believable news from the worlds most advanced country :rolleyes:

Dovster May 30, 2007 12:32 am

Originally Posted by etch5895 (Post 7815174)
You'd think that the Immigrations officers at LAX would be a little more familiar with media lingo.

Not really -- when going through the TSA checkpoint on a JFK-FLL flight, something which looked a bit suspicious in my hand luggage prompted the screener to ask what it was.

"A menorah," I told him.

He had no idea of a menorah is -- and this was in New York City.

USCGamecock May 30, 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 7818676)
Not really -- when going through the TSA checkpoint on a JFK-FLL flight, something which looked a bit suspicious in my hand luggage prompted the screener to ask what it was.

"A menorah," I told him.

He had no idea of a menorah is -- and this was in New York City.

Put him on the watch list!;)

Wally Bird May 30, 2007 9:14 am

Originally Posted by flyinbob (Post 7816394)
This happened in April? Why did no one hear about it?

Likely because he stayed in Hollywood "shooting the pilot" for several weeks, and related (his view of) the incident only when he got back to UK.

aamilesslave May 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler (Post 7815225)
I agree, but in general, it is hard to arrest immigration officers unless you have a clear cut case against them.

I don't think he meant the immigration officer should have been arrested...

whirledtraveler May 30, 2007 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 7821574)

But, you have to admit that it would've been the most sensible way of dealing with this problem.

Spiff May 30, 2007 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 7821574)

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler (Post 7821844)
But, you have to admit that it would've been the most sensible way of dealing with this problem.

Or on-the-spot discipline... ;)

etch5895 May 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 7821889)
Or on-the-spot discipline... ;)

That sounds strangely S&M like. Maybe that will be a new form of entertainment while waiting to clear immigration at LAX...Now you get a free show of DHS personnel "beating" each other.

VideoPaul May 30, 2007 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 7815322)
OT, but I've been places in CA with my camera and had people like fast food jockeys asking if I would shoot head shots for them. Only in CA, I tell myself, do fast food clerks aspire to being movie stars and wonder if passing photographers can help them achieve that dream.

Try walking in just about any city in America with an Ikegami on your shoulder. I get into more sporting events that way...

--PP

flyinbob May 30, 2007 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 7820065)
Likely because he stayed in Hollywood "shooting the pilot" for several weeks, and related (his view of) the incident only when he got back to UK.

Again, this is why I'm not ready to buy into this one. When has anyone in hollywood kept silent about anything?