Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Do One Way Tickets Subject People to Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do One Way Tickets Subject People to Extra Screening?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I thought SSSS was largely a thing of the past since no one seems to check boarding passes at security after the ID checker.
They still do religiously at LGA -- big signs up all over the place to keep your boarding pass out. The TSO on the secure side of the WTMD looks at each boarding pass, and if you're using an electronic one, you turn in a green card stating your info checks out.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by pascy
Assume ticket is purchased on credit card issued in passenger's name and passenger has a frequent flyer number on the ticket.
No, not for a while and even when it was, usually having an FF number would cancel it.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
This month I purchased a refundable one-way ticket less than 12 hours before departure for a friend of mine to visit me airside while I was on a connection. No frequent flier number. And I misspelled his (very common American) first name on the ticket by accident. I did give his correct DOB to Secure Flight.

No SSSS. He was unable to check in online though.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:24 pm

Will we recieve a SSSS?

We are a family of four (from Europe), who is going on a vacation in the Caribbean. Towards our destination, we will fly through YYZ with AC.

After our stay in the Caribbean, we have decided we want to spend a week at the parks in Orlando. I'm thinking of buying a one-way ticket with AA, which is very cheap and convenient. Transfer is in Miami.

We will get SSSS at every check point, both in the Caribbean and in Miami, as we are travelling a family of four on a one-way ticket to the US?

From Orlando, we will fly back home with AC through YYZ.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
We are a family of four (from Europe), who is going on a vacation in the Caribbean. Towards our destination, we will fly through YYZ with AC.

After our stay in the Caribbean, we have decided we want to spend a week at the parks in Orlando. I'm thinking of buying a one-way ticket with AA, which is very cheap and convenient. Transfer is in Miami.

We will get SSSS at every check point, both in the Caribbean and in Miami, as we are travelling a family of four on a one-way ticket to the US?

From Orlando, we will fly back home with AC through YYZ.
Have you cofirmed that your AC ticket permits this type of (what appears to be a) change in routing?

To answer you question, best guess is maybe. Pay with cash, and almost certainly.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Have you cofirmed that your AC ticket permits this type of (what appears to be a) change in routing?

To answer you question, best guess is maybe. Pay with cash, and almost certainly.
Not a problem.
Routing is Europe-YYZ-SJU; MCO-YYZ-Europe.

We will buy a stand alone ticket with AA: SJU-MIA-MCO
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:41 pm

Domestically, as a US national, I have never gotten SSSS with an open-jaw routing but I am not sure about someone doing it internationally. I don't think so, just because people tend to do this type of thing for things like carribean cruises and the florida tour thing is real common.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I don't thinK you will receive an SSSS. I purchase one way and other odd tickets all the time, and have never had any problems..
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just don't bring along any special Caribbean herbs and you'll be fine.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:21 pm

That hasn't been the case for quite a while now.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Routing is Europe-YYZ-SJU; MCO-YYZ-Europe.

We will buy a stand alone ticket with AA: SJU-MIA-MCO
Such a trip does not automatically result in a flag for additional "security" harassment by the TSA.

A lot of Europeans arrive into the US and fly around the US using open jaw tickets with some additional one-way tickets thrown in as well and it's not ordinary to face any more harassment from the TSA than US persons flying on simple roundtrip flights that have them going through the same checkpoints the same number of times.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:08 pm

Are One Way Tickets still getting SuperSpecialSillyService?

it's April of 2011, are one way tickets still getting singled out for the SuperStripSearchSpecial?

I haven't done the one way ticket in years but I'm considering flying out to meet some friends on a commercial then flying home with them on private plane.

(Would I still get harassed or has someone finally understood that the bad guys can easily buy roundtrip tickets?)
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
No. I booked a one-way ticket, SFO-SYD in F, on 4/1. Although I ended up canceling the ticket, I did not get SSSSd when I did OLCI.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
90% of my tix are one-ways. Haven't been "4S"ed in these two years of weekly travel.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:13 am

What he said.. virtually all my travel to/from/within the USA is on one way tickets... NEVER been singled out. Not once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.