Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Do One Way Tickets Subject People to Extra Screening?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do One Way Tickets Subject People to Extra Screening?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 10:03 pm

I quit traveling by air two years ago and haven't been grope-searched the whole time. Figgered it out yet? Hey, SOMEBODY'S gotta be the goat! So if you're one of those still flying under the black flag of the TSA, thanks! Enjoy those corralls, folks!
Old May 31, 2007, 6:35 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I fly one way on Southwest all the time (easier to book that way with them) and never got SSSS. However the few times I've flown one way on the other majors I would say 75% of the time I get SSSS.
Old May 31, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold and Marriott Silver
We all flew one way from BOS to MDW a few weeks ago on Airtran. We went through the screening no problems. They are very thorough at the Airtran end akin to Tom Green. We have also flown through SWA many times one way with no SSSS.

Now our son who was one at the time, got the SSSS and he was screened. I was so po'd at UA. He went lap to butdidn't like it so we wanted to get him a seat on the way back. They had him on the flight list going in.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:37 am

Will I be interrogated for buying a one-way ticket?

I used United miles to buy a ticket going from IAD-DEN and then RNO-DEN-IAD. I also wanted to go DEN-RNO, but due to mileage restrictions, I had to buy a one-way ticket for that. I asked United if they could put the DEN-RNO flight onto the same confirmation number as the other flights, but they couldn't do it.

Will the fact that I bought a one-way ticket mean that security in DEN will drag me off to some private room and interrogate me for who knows how long?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
I buy one way tickets twice a week, and all I get is a simple SSSSS. I actually like getting it because it enables me to skip the security lines and gets me through faster.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slflyer
Will the fact that I bought a one-way ticket mean that security in DEN will drag me off to some private room and interrogate me for who knows how long?
I've bought several OW tickets and never had a problem. Of course now that I've said that...
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:16 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion in our Travel Safety/Security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Last time I bought a one-way ticket, no SSSS. Breezed through like any other trip.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I think it varies. I always get SSSS when I am on a one-way ticket with Air Canada and almost never get it when on a one way AA ticket (I got it maybe 2-3 times total)

Cheers,
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You are much less likely to get an SSSS on a one-way ticket if you also have a FF# in the reservation. It isn't 100% effective, but it should cover you more than not.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by slflyer
I used United miles to buy a ticket going from IAD-DEN and then RNO-DEN-IAD. I also wanted to go DEN-RNO, but due to mileage restrictions, I had to buy a one-way ticket for that. I asked United if they could put the DEN-RNO flight onto the same confirmation number as the other flights, but they couldn't do it.

I bought a one way for SJC/DEN a few months back. No SSSS. I suspect if you have any status with UA you'll be fine.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I think it varies. I always get SSSS when I am on a one-way ticket with Air Canada and almost never get it when on a one way AA ticket (I got it maybe 2-3 times total)
When you get it on Air Canada and getting haraSSSSed, are you flying from a Canadian destination to a US destination, reverse, or just inter-Canadian flights?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
i'll agree with the "it varies" sentiments. i buy all of my tickets on southwest as one-ways, since they don't charge a one-way penalty or anything like that, and i've never been SSSSed
Old Jul 2, 2008, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Interrogated? You don't have to discuss your travel plans with anyone.

If you get "interrogated" ignore or decline to answer the TSA. You may get referred to a law enforcement officer who might run your ID for warrants. That should be about it, plus haraSSSSment.

The government has no right to force you to discuss your travel plans.

File a complaint if you are haraSSSSed. It's a disgusting practice and has no justification in our society.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
According to the TSA, it's the airline that establishes the rules for haraSSSSment (at least related to ticketing). I'm not sure if this is true - every re-route I have ever gotten has resulted in haraSSSSment, although when I stayed airside, the airline voided the SSSS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.