FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Ron Paul says eliminate DHS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/693571-ron-paul-says-eliminate-dhs.html)

swei0009 May 15, 2007 7:28 pm

Ron Paul says eliminate DHS

On tonight's GOP debate.... They asked Ron Paul to name 3 government programs he'd cut, and he said "I can name 3 Departments" and included DHS.

cordileran May 15, 2007 7:34 pm

Oooh. Beat me to it. Go Ron Paul!

IceTrojan May 15, 2007 7:35 pm

Who is he?

Whoever he is, he's the frontrunner in my book ^:D

Spiff May 15, 2007 7:36 pm

^ ^ My man Ron!!! ^ ^

birdstrike May 15, 2007 7:37 pm

Normally I wouldn't vote for anyone who has no chance of winning from the get-go, but I think we have an exception in the making here. ^

cordileran May 15, 2007 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 7743595)
Who is he?

The longterm TX congressmen is a former libertarion candidate for president. Probably #10 on the probable list of likely GOP nominees on the stage.

Superguy May 15, 2007 9:21 pm

Ron Paul is my hero.

swei0009 May 15, 2007 9:41 pm

LMAO he's winning the Faux News "text us the winner" sweepstakes, too.

N830MH May 15, 2007 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 7744090)
Ron Paul is my hero.

Yeah, You beat me out there. :D I am hoping if Paul will elect into DHS is good person. I thinkable if DHS will join with DHS if he will interested work with TSA or whatever. If he doesn't join at DHS then he will searching for another job outside DC.

entilzhaFT May 15, 2007 10:08 pm

TX-14. Ran (twice?) for Libertarian nomination for president. Is a medical doctor. Nickname "Dr. No" because of his frequent no votes.

Originally Posted by Ice Trojan
Who is he?

Whoever he is, he's the frontrunner in my book.

essxjay May 16, 2007 3:35 am

Originally Posted by entilzhaFT (Post 7744273)
TX-14. Ran (twice?) for Libertarian nomination for president.

No, just once (in '88). You're thinking of Harry Browne's consecutive runs.

His essays and speeches on his .gov site are frequently picked up at antiwar.com. The latest riffs on the DHS: More Bureaucracy, Less Security:

Originally Posted by Rep. Ron Paul
Congress voted this past week to authorize nearly $40 billion for the Department of Homeland Security, but the result will likely continue to be more bureaucracy and less security for Americans.

Five years into this new department, Congress still cannot agree on how to handle the mega-bureaucracy it created, which means there has been no effective oversight of the department. While Congress remains in disarray over how to fund and oversee the department, we can only wonder whether we are more vulnerable than we were before Homeland Security was created.

I was opposed to the creation of a new Homeland Security department from the beginning. Only in Washington would anyone call the creation of an additional layer of bureaucracy on top of already bloated bureaucracies "streamlining." Only in Washington would anyone believe that a bigger, more centralized federal government means more efficiency.

Go Ron, Go!

Spiff May 16, 2007 3:39 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 7743595)
Who is he?

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

gleff May 16, 2007 6:44 am

He's a really good guy.

He has 'no chance of winning' but

* Unclear that any of the other Republican candidates have a chance of winning, either
* What's the point of supporting a 'winner' who won't advance your views? If anything, it just lends additional support and credence to not doing anything about civil liberties, the TSA, etc.
* Winning isn't the only way to make a difference. Additional support for candidates who won't win will (a) give voice to the issues those candidates champion and (b) often force the 'more likely winners' to adopt similar positions.

bocastephen May 16, 2007 10:23 am

Go Ron!!

Too bad the Republican convention will only elect someone who is focused on abortion, church/state, gay issues and who can come up with the most outlandish security statements.

If he got the right message out and was more visible, perhaps he could walk away with enough delegates from the primaries to at least influence the front-running candidates to think abit like a libertarian.

If he starts moving up, it won't take long before Giuliani starts with his "a vote for Ron Paul is a vote for a defenseless America" routine.

Where are all the Libertarians?? I'd vote for a Ron Paul/Bill Maher ticket in a heartbeat.

FliesWay2Much May 16, 2007 10:26 am

Where are all the Libertarians?? I'd vote for a Ron Paul/Bill Maher ticket in a heartbeat.
We had a couple in my lifetime -- guys named Goldwater and Reagan.