FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   You Too Can F-l-y With Your Own Homemade Travel ID!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/693485-you-too-can-f-l-y-your-own-homemade-travel-id.html)

whirledtraveler May 15, 07 3:15 pm

You Too Can F-l-y With Your Own Homemade Travel ID!!

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/15...out_id_wo.html
http://www.kctv5.com/Global/story.asp?S=6511234

The CBS affiliate here in Kansas City (KCTV) just did an investigation into airport security, and proved that it doesn't matter what kind of ID you show when you try to board a plane, as long as the ID looks kind of real. So while people test the system and try to fly without an ID at all, I think the bigger story is that requiring an ID at all is a total sham security measure. The TV station made an ID from scratch and the screeners accepted it with no questions asked. They even have an interactive display on their website showing how they created it and all of the crazy stuff they included on it. Kind of funny and scary at the same time.

Discuss.

Spiff May 15, 07 3:21 pm

Beautiful!

Time to eliminate these stupid, wasteful, and un-American ID checks once and for all.

The airlines should be permitted to check ID for revenue protection purposes if they so desire. The federal government should not be allowed to check ID without reasonable suspicion of a crime having been committed.

I hope that after government-mandated ID checks are eliminated, those responsible for their implementation and continued use are severely punished for their disgusting, un-American actions.

Spiff May 15, 07 3:25 pm

"STATEMENT FROM UNITED AIRLINES

Safety and security is our number one priority. We will work with our vendor directly to ensure proper procedures are followed going forward."

You could have fooled me. Checking IDs for non-revenue protection purposes shows that safety and security are foreign concepts to you and that un-American harassment is the order of the day. Get a grip, UA, and tell the federal government there will no longer be an ID requirement for UA flights, would you like to cram that with walnuts, Comrade Chertoff?

ttjoseph May 15, 07 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 7741910)
Time to eliminate these stupid, wasteful, and un-American ID checks once and for all.

Agreed! In addition to the affront to freedom, there are far too many varieties of identification available for security guards to effectively screen for fakes. Just in the US, we have 50 types of drivers licenses, 50 types of state IDs, the various IDs issued by the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and so forth, and myriad other government-issued IDs.

I can't remember the last time my drivers license received more than a cursory glance from a TSA guard before I flew domestically. How many troublemakers have been caught by security-line TSA checkers because they didn't bother to use a fake ID?

Ari May 15, 07 4:32 pm

This news report only underscores the need for a national ID card. I'm surprised the DHS hasn't siezed the opportunity.

Then they will (already have) blame the airline's contractor and explain why they have to take over that part of airport "security" too.

You can't professionalize until you federalize. :rolleyes:

Wally Bird May 15, 07 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 7742362)
This news report only underscores the need for a national ID card. I'm surprised the DHS hasn't siezed the opportunity.

Oh but they will, or have already. The DHS is in a total bunker mentality state; the more criticism aimed at them, the more they become convinced they are right. Or more accurately, never wrong - that's simply impossible to them.

I would expect the only outcome of this exposé will be a directive instructing the ID prefects to be more thorough (= time-consuming and arrogant) in their charade.

swei0009 May 15, 07 4:58 pm

I expect a rash of "REAL ID will fix this! We need REAL ID now!" propaganda.

Too bad my home state has passed legislation saying we won't comply.

Bobster May 15, 07 5:08 pm

MCI screeners don't work for TSA. Maybe that's the problem. :D

Ari May 15, 07 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by swei0009 (Post 7742509)
I expect a rash of "REAL ID will fix this! We need REAL ID now!" propaganda.

Too bad my home state has passed legislation saying we won't comply.

Good for you're state. ^

I hope every state enacts anti-REAL ID legislation.

Xyzzy May 15, 07 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 7742612)
Good for you're state. ^

I hope every state enacts anti-REAL ID legislation.

Some are doing just that. Unfortunately an equal number seem to be moving in the opposite direction :td:

DevilDog438 May 15, 07 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 7742954)
Some are doing just that. Unfortunately an equal number seem to be moving in the opposite direction :td:

RealNightmare.org has a nice map showing the status of Anti-RealID legislation. Current tallies show:
  • Passed Anti-RealID Legislation: 10
  • Partially Passed Anti-Real ID: 12
  • Introduced Anti-RealID Legislation: 13

So far, at least 35 states have considered or passed Anti-RealID measures. ^ ^ ^

doober May 15, 07 7:04 pm

Isn't RealID pretty much useless if not all the states adopt it? Of course, being useless doesn't seemed to have stopped this administration.

Xyzzy May 15, 07 8:27 pm

Unfortunately, my state -- NJ -- went for the RealID thing hook line and sinker immediately following 9/11. Some of the hijackers had NJ driver's licenses and the state government felt that they had to do something in response. Talking to state reps about this is like talking to a wall. Now you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get a license. My non-photo license (one of the last) doesn't expire until next year.

IceTrojan May 15, 07 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 7742362)

That's fine and dandy... I'll just make my own national ID card :rolleyes:

Spiff May 15, 07 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 7743618)
That's fine and dandy... I'll just make my own national ID card :rolleyes:

Then you will not be in State Database, Comrade, and will therefore not be real person.