Is the One Quart Baggie Still Being Enforced?

Old May 15, 07, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Is the One Quart Baggie Still Being Enforced?

I've traveled a lot since the beginning of the year, and I do have my liquids in a one quart baggie. But I never take the baggie out of my carry-on bag anymore. Does TSA still enforce the rule?
Old May 15, 07, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Comrade Hawley's stupid little baggie games are still in full play at the airport.

Removing the baggie from the carryon doesn't make it any more visible on the x-ray. Furthermore, the x-ray doesn't detect explosives.

It's a complete waste of time and resources. I encourage you to file a complaint every time you are subjected to this nonsense.
Old May 15, 07, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
I would be willing to bet that one of our TSA posters comes on and says it is one of those "keep em guessing" tactics.

My experiences over the past couple of months:
  • BWI C C/P - TSA verbal reminders prior to coming through the WMTD. Have not noticed whether people were getting pulled for bag checks for not doing so.
  • ATL C/P - Several barkers throughout loudly proclaiming the need to pull out your baggies.
  • IAH International-Domestic C/P - Not a word said...forgot to pull out my inhaler (only thing in my baggie, kept in my laptop bag) and did not even receive a bag inspection. Had to have been plainly visible (only thing in the side pocket of the bag) and no inspection.
Old May 15, 07, 3:24 pm

Programs: TSA
I a word yes. Is it going away? No. Am I going to say keep em guessing? Nope I think that TSA officers are getting weary.
Old May 15, 07, 4:25 pm

Programs: Burrito Elito
All I had was hair gel and cologne, both under 3.4 oz, no baggie, didn't bother to remove from carry on

DCA: No bag inspection, although the person behind me with more liquids did get caught

IAH C: No bag inspection
Old May 15, 07, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
totally spaced and forgot at oak on may 5th. left the baggie in my briefcase and no one said a word......
Old May 15, 07, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Yup, might as well just put up a sign that says "No Terrorism Please", given these ridiculous policies.
Old May 15, 07, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
In the last few months the only place that cared to see my baggie was DCA. They gave me a whole long lecture on how it is supposed to be outside of my carry-on. No other airports have cared.
Old May 15, 07, 6:45 pm

In last two weeks I have done 9 legs in US including two US-Canadian flights. In ATL the baggies are all the rage, with the TSA even providing same on a table just outside the break between the first long line one initially joins that snakes to the second long line "within" the screening perimeter.

Everywhere else lines are limited, and notices either oral or written re the baggies seem absent. On some flights I bothered to put the bag separately into a bin, for others I "forgot" - and no one seemed to notice or care.

Fatigue ? indifference ? lowering of threat levels perceived or real ? realization of foolish policy ? who knows ?

What irks me is ever waiting more than 2 mins to be screened, when I and 99% of pax should be only randomly checked (besides walking through whatever detectors they want) - while the other 1% - primarily young Arab males - are scrutinized thoroughly. But that is not PC and no one seems to have the guts to focus on the view rather than inconvenience the many !
Old May 15, 07, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
No, the baggie rule isn't being enforced anymore, since Kip Hawley and Michael Chertoff held a joint prime time press conference to acknowledge that they were completely wrong, and there is no credible threat from liquid bombs. They also confirmed that x-rays can't detect explosives and that passengers heretofore will be encouraged to keep their shoes on. Chertoff opined that they are wasting a lot of money and resources harassing pax while the commercial cargo goes unscreened.

Oops, it's May 15. I thought it was Apr. 1. Please disregard the above.
Old May 15, 07, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Johnlathropa View Post
while the other 1% - primarily young Arab males - are scrutinized thoroughly.
Real nice idea, but there's a minor problem- How do you determine who is an "Arab male". I've met Palestinians who thought I was one, I've met Spiff and he looks as Arab as many Arab's I've met...

The real terrorists can go out on the South side of Chicago and buy fake ID for $200 which will "prove" that they are Christian caucasians. Your profiling won't catch them.
Old May 15, 07, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
No, the baggie rule isn't being enforced anymore, since Kip Hawley and Michael Chertoff held a joint prime time press conference to acknowledge that they were completely wrong, and there is no credible threat from liquid bombs. They also confirmed that x-rays can't detect explosives and that passengers heretofore will be encouraged to keep their shoes on. Chertoff opined that they are wasting a lot of money and resources harassing pax while the commercial cargo goes unscreened.

Oops, it's May 15. I thought it was Apr. 1. Please disregard the above.
Thanks - I needed a quick chuckle...taking a break from writing boring documentation (one downfall of being an IT consultant, having to write the docs following the installs).
Old May 15, 07, 7:10 pm

MCO needed my baggie outside of my carry-on.

Also, MKE required that my video camera be removed from my carry-on and it's case.
Old May 15, 07, 9:21 pm
Suspended

The letter of the law says you are supposed to remove the ziploc baggie and have it x-rayed separately. However, experienced TSOs are able to tell if the liquids, gels & aerosols are inside an unremoved plastic bag just by viewing the x-ray image and can clear it accordingly. Others play it safe by calling for a bag check. And it also depends on the Lead and/or Supervisor who is running the floor: some are sticklers to procedure with no wiggle room; others show some flexibility and discretion.

I don't have a problem with x-ray operators who make the call even with the baggies not removed from the carry-on, nor do I have a problem with the ones who play it safe.

Being the sneaky b*stard that I am, I will run bags containing a ziploc baggie with a simulated IED in it as well during my random tests just to keep 'em on their toes.
Old May 16, 07, 12:38 am

Hmmmm...

Sneaky WHAT? A bit surprised no self-umbrage was taken and complained about.

Search this Thread