Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA terrorizes the homeless!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
It would be nice if they could get some volunteers to check the items or come up with some process to ensure their safety.

Ciao,
AWACS
It would be even nicer if TSA would stop confiscating personal property that is safe enough to either go to the homeless or send to a landfill but cannot be taken on a plane. Maybe they should put the volunteer idea to work at checkpoints and let passengers keep what they paid for.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Nobody knows what they are . . . even though they were sealed," says Nico Melendez, spokesman for TSA's national office. "You are talking about thousands of items collected each day. If we could continue it, we certainly would. But all it would take is just one item that could be a harm to somebody that would be a huge liability to this organization and the taxpayers."

Herein lies the issue, and the PR is correct. Even if something is inherently safe, but "injures" a person, the lawsuits toward the TSA will fly. One trial with a punitive award of $10,000,000USD in taxpayer monies will make people even angrier. It would be nice if they could get some volunteers to check the items or come up with some process to ensure their safety.
Not an answer, just an excuse. Somebody got caught with their pants down when they made a decision to hand the confiscated items out to the home'esss and now the TSA is covering up by bringing in the threat of a potential lawsuit. Much easier to do that than to admit that the stuff is not a threat to anyone.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 2:57 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
It is not an excuse, though you might view it as such, it is is a fact in the United States' lawsuit prone society. Under the current rules a lawsuit is not only feasable but likely if one gets hurt from those products, and the case is very easily won.

Changing the rules for carry-ons and the current lawsuit chances are two unrelated items.

Ciao,
FH
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
It is not an excuse, though you might view it as such, it is is a fact in the United States' lawsuit prone society. Under the current rules a lawsuit is not only feasable but likely if one gets hurt from those products, and the case is very easily won.

Changing the rules for carry-ons and the current lawsuit chances are two unrelated items.

Ciao,
FH
As lawyers on here have stated, it's very difficult to sue the federal government. I think the term used was sovereign immunity but one of them could better answer that.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:05 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
True, but not impossible, and in fact happens often.

Ciao,
FH
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:43 pm

You could always bring a personal lawsuit against Hawley and Chertoff. I'm sure they signed off on it.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
I don't think the argument "If its unsafe for the plane, it is unsafe for anywhere else" is compelling.

First, there are all sorts of things that are believed not to be appropriate for a carry-on bag, yet are considered reasonable outside the sterile area (e.g. a box-cutter).

Additionally, and perhaps more to the point, the liquids rule is supposed to keep terrorists from attempting to get hazardous materials on the plane (admittedly this presumes a level of effectiveness that doesn't appear to be exist). If the terrorists believe that there is no way to get their dangerous liquid on the plane, there is no reason that they would bring it to the checkpoint to get confiscated.

Obviously they might be using the TSA as unwitting dupes to get their radioactive/biohazard shampoo to homeless people, but there would seem to be much more direct ways of introducing dangerous substances to consumers (e.g. just return tampered product to a store).

Finally, both sides of the binary explosive debate befuddle me.

On one hand we have the TSA that behaves like a prepubescent saying "Oh there is a threat, but its a secret and we wont tell you. . .nyah, nyah" and can't produce anything that exhibits critical thinking or intellectual honesty.

In the other corner, we have the TSA attackers who point out that it would be impractical to rely on TATP or similar and ignores other more reasonable threats such as nitroglycerin.

Incidentally the 3-1-1 nonsense does nothing that I can see to inhibit mixing up a batch of nitroglycerin. So we are left with the worst of both worlds: A costly and annoying security process and no mitigation to a real threat.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VPescado
In the other corner, we have the TSA attackers who point out that it would be impractical to rely on TATP or similar and ignores other more reasonable threats such as nitroglycerin.
Quote which would be detected by puffers or ETD swabs but WON'T be detected by x-rays.

Incidentally the 3-1-1 nonsense does nothing that I can see to inhibit mixing up a batch of nitroglycerin. So we are left with the worst of both worlds: A costly and annoying security process and no mitigation to a real threat.
I believe the precursors to nitro would also be detected by puffers and ETD swabs.

And even then, I believe it still has to be mixed in very controlled condtions ... ones likely not to be found on board a plane or in an airport.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by Superguy
I believe the precursors to nitro would also be detected by puffers and ETD swabs.

And even then, I believe it still has to be mixed in very controlled condtions ... ones likely not to be found on board a plane or in an airport.
The precursors are a nitric/sulfuric acid mix and glycerin. I believe that the puffers would detect some fumes off of the concentrated acid but we all realize that the puffers are seldom used. The glycerin is unlikely to be detected as so many products (e.g. soaps) would cause false positives.

My understanding is that producing it does not require very controlled conditions - other than temperature (and the big issue here is to keep the product cool enough so it doesn't go off prematurely - which is likely only to concern a terrorist insofar as if it occurs before enough product has been produced to guaranty the destruction of the aircraft - an further, it doesn't strike me as a major engineering feat to construct an ice bath for cooling).

And if even this is considered too unlikely, how about a terrorist that wears clothes made of nitrocellulose onto the flight?

My point is that there are real threats, but the TSA is failing to protect us from them while inflicting their own damage upon the traveling public.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VPescado
The precursors are a nitric/sulfuric acid mix and glycerin. I believe that the puffers would detect some fumes off of the concentrated acid but we all realize that the puffers are seldom used.
Which is a gross failing on TSA's part. The technology is there, it just needs to be used.

The glycerin is unlikely to be detected as so many products (e.g. soaps) would cause false positives.
Even so, it still causes them to go crazy. Ask iluv2fly about the fun he had when he tested positive for glycerin. It at least triggers further bag checks and swabbing.

My understanding is that producing it does not require very controlled conditions - other than temperature (and the big issue here is to keep the product cool enough so it doesn't go off prematurely - which is likely only to concern a terrorist insofar as if it occurs before enough product has been produced to guaranty the destruction of the aircraft - an further, it doesn't strike me as a major engineering feat to construct an ice bath for cooling).
Even so, where are you going to get enough ice on a plane or in an airport to make enough of the stuff WITHOUT causing unwanted attention? You might be able to get away with a coke cup or two full of ice, but I don't think it's going to be nearly enough.

And if even this is considered too unlikely, how about a terrorist that wears clothes made of nitrocellulose onto the flight?
Probably about as likely. And how can we detect this without using puffers?

My point is that there are real threats, but the TSA is failing to protect us from them while inflicting their own damage upon the traveling public.
I agree with this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.