Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US seeks to calm EU fears on sharing air passenger details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US seeks to calm EU fears on sharing air passenger details

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2007, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
The online form is expected to ask whether the visitor has a communicable disease or has ever taken part in “genocide, espionage, sabotage or terrorist activity

Of course, terrorists are going to answer yes, arent they !!
Old May 15, 2007, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
The online form is expected to ask whether the visitor has a communicable disease or has ever taken part in “genocide, espionage, sabotage or terrorist activity

I was thinking the same thing.

"Oh damn, you got me."
Old May 15, 2007, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan

I heard that there was some suspicion of brain cell activity here. If the tourist/terrorist answers No and is then found out to have lied shock horror, s/he can be deported at the drop of a hat, or worse.

I for one deny having associated with the axis powers between 1933 and 1945 on the basis that I wasn't alive then. Not much of an excuse I know, but it's all I've got.
Old May 15, 2007, 3:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
II for one deny having associated with the axis powers between 1933 and 1945 on the basis that I wasn't alive then. Not much of an excuse I know, but it's all I've got.
Well, given when they claim life begins . . . you never know . . .
Old May 15, 2007, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
I for one deny having associated with the axis powers between 1933 and 1945 on the basis that I wasn't alive then. Not much of an excuse I know, but it's all I've got.
But you can be "done" for thought crimes - so if you ever thought that a Nazi uniform was cool...
Old May 15, 2007, 7:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Skymonster
It gets worse...

Now there's a suggestion being made that visitors might have to fill in an on-line form (sounds like an electronic equivalent of the visa form) 48 hours before leaving for the US!

From today's Times... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1790514.ece

Andy
That's insane. Many pax travelling through US on Air NZ are actually going to Europe and vice versa. I bet Europe wouldn't be too pleased to find have to book more than 3 days ahead (48 hours plus flight time) on this route.

It's bad enough that nearly every flight from NZ to USA has a delay after pushback while they wait for USA to give the green light to fly (despite the flight time being more than 12 hours - plenty of time to do any checks). This pre-visa is far worse.

Any bets on how long it would be until this measure gets taken to WTO as severely anti-competitive?
Old May 16, 2007, 4:18 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Times Online
Michael Chertoff, the US Homeland Security Secretary, told a meeting in Brussels that details of the system had yet to be agreed by [the U.S.] Congress.
The extra-territorial arrogance is stunning.
Old May 16, 2007, 6:31 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by essxjay
The extra-territorial arrogance is stunning.
Even the in-territorial arrogance is stunning. Read Dana Milbank's column in today's Washington Post about Jim Comey's testimony on the Hill yesterday.
Old May 16, 2007, 7:27 am

Gee how in the world did you americans end up with such a bunch of monkies in power??? We have at least learned from our mistakes but does that mean the US needs to repeat them??

We tore down the Berlin wall the US put one up recently (Mexican Border) we got rid of the Stasi you got the DHS & the TSA... and then this twit called chertoff has the stuff to come here and (his words) EDUCATE us.... Come on what rocks did you have to turn over to find these guys??? Oh and perhaps we need to be reminded all this nonsence is coming frm THE country who were supposed to have invented Freedom and Democracy. If you feel like I am getting on your toes then I apologize but from my view these guys are a damm sorry excuse for the leaders of the suposed greatest nation in the free world!!!
Old May 16, 2007, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by moeve
Gee how in the world did you americans end up with such a bunch of monkies in power??? We have at least learned from our mistakes but does that mean the US needs to repeat them??

We tore down the Berlin wall the US put one up recently (Mexican Border) we got rid of the Stasi you got the DHS & the TSA... and then this twit called chertoff has the stuff to come here and (his words) EDUCATE us.... Come on what rocks did you have to turn over to find these guys??? Oh and perhaps we need to be reminded all this nonsence is coming frm THE country who were supposed to have invented Freedom and Democracy. If you feel like I am getting on your toes then I apologize but from my view these guys are a damm sorry excuse for the leaders of the suposed greatest nation in the free world!!!
Oh I think a lot will agree with you on here. Unfortunately, we have to wait till 2008 to vote these clowns out of power. Congress seems a little more skeptical at least with a new party in power, but we'll have to wait till 2008 for a clean sweep.

I hope the EU can do something to help by telling him to shove it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.